Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Is there an easy way to remove the ABS sensor wire fron the top of the wheel well?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there an easy way to remove the ABS sensor wire fron the top of the wheel well?

Is there an easy way to remove the ABS sensor wire from the top of the wheel well?

Hi!

I'm removing my wheel knuckle to press out the old rust frozen wheel hub bearing.
The ABS sensor is also frozen in to the wheel hub (no surprise there).

So after removing the wheel well liners, I managed to unhook the ABS sensor at the top of the wheel well from the other wire, but can't get the connector that attaches the ABS sensor to the top part of the wheel well to release easily. I've tried gentle prying to not destroy the sensor up until this point.

Do I rotate it a certain way or is this fastener on the ABS sensor wire easily replaceable?

So can I just rip it out?

I've been working on this stupid wheel hub bearing for 3 weeks and am almost there. ; )

Any ideas or sage advice?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kcarpent; Sep 27, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You have a wheel bearing to insert? Evo uses a hub assembly. No bearing only replacement. (At least circa 2008 when I had my 8.)

Soak down and carefully pry off.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:28 PM

Replacing rusted wheel hub bearing not just the precision bearing inside.

You are correct sir !

I'm replacing the wheel hub bearing not just the precision bearing inside the hub.

My 2005 Evo MR has around 100K miles on it at this point.

The hub bearing is rusted on the steering knuckle as is the ABS sensor wire, both of which seem to be common problems.

I've been using PB Blaster for a while and after I get the ABS sensor wire free from the wheel well, I'm removing the steering knuckle and pressing out the bearing (Hopefully) ; ).

Thanks!

Last edited by kcarpent; Sep 27, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:21 PM

The ABS sensor wire appears to be attached to a fastener which is pushed into a hole in the wheel well to attach and then has a piece of it which is an inverted T shape. I believe that the ABS wire sensor connector slides on to the inverted T part and is held by a little clip or something which a screwdriver should be able to depress and then free the ABS sensor wire socket end.

Is this correct?

Where's the clip?

Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
It pushes in and has 1 bolt on it. Typically, the metal in that bolt becomes softened from all the heat and wont come out in one piece. That's happened on 2 other cars. You will have to drill/tap to get the leftovers out.

If seized in there, you're better off ordering a new one.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:20 AM

I was very lucky and got the ABS sensor bolt out in one piece but the sensor itself won't pry out of the knuckle easily. So since I can't get out the top fastener from the wheel well to bring the steering knuckle to the press, I might just bring the press to the steering knuckle ; ). I think there is enough length in the ABS sensor cable to set up the press next to the car and with the ABS sensor wire still attached to the top of the wheel well to put the knuckle in the press and remove the old wheel hub bearing clean up the knuckle with a brass brush, apply anti-seize grease and install the new wheel hub bearing.

I'd still like to know how to remove the ABS cable from the fastener in the top of the wheel well though.
That's the other end of part #4 in the above schematic.

Thanks again, and I'm up for any input you have.

Last edited by kcarpent; Oct 6, 2011 at 03:38 PM.