Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Function & Form type II Coilovers, any input/feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
And the s2k has far amazing handling and suspension....imo far better than an evo.
and thats why the fastest time attack cars in the world are S2000s.

wait, what?

god damn it, can't we just make a sticky for people wanting cheap suspension setups? i'm sick of seeing newbs asking about these taiwanese rainbow coilovers
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by block1234
okay , this is blowing off hand, and going off topic...The whole problem with smikes response is that he talks down to honda owners. I dont care how many posts he has, or who would like to sit on his lap. If ones gonna be rude to others just for the hell of it, it wrong. And the s2k has far amazing handling and suspension....imo far better than an evo. But they just suck in rain and snow
No. The issue here is that you are trying to justify your purchase of a subpar coilover.

Mariana and Camila Davalos count? They could sit on my lap anytime.

I agree, stock S2000 v. stock 8-9; S2000 has the better suspension. Throwing cheap crap on their does injustice to handling. My issue is that you are taking repsonses from generic people who don't get what they are doing. Just throwing parts on cars does not make them faster or better.

Originally Posted by fightex
and thats why the fastest time attack cars in the world are S2000s.

wait, what?

god damn it, can't we just make a sticky for people wanting cheap suspension setups? i'm sick of seeing newbs asking about these taiwanese rainbow coilovers
This. This. This.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
So looking at your post count you probably can't comprehend why Smike comes across as harsh. Think about seeing the same question everyday from People who have purchased Evo's who;ve come from other car worlds where suspension isn't as big a determining factor in what is considered "good".

If you track your car seriously the brands that Smike mentioned are the top choices. If you are just looking for something that will allow you to lower the car aesthetically without compromising handling too much then all the lower end coilovers fit the description. It doesn't matter WHAT you get. They are all the same.

Good coilovers give yo more information on their build (Shock Dyno stats, valving, rebuildable, etc). All/most of the sub 1500 coilovers are pretty much the same.

And for the record you can get the same out of a set of MR Bilsteins and swift/GT Worx springs. I bought coilovers for the adjustability but MOST of us get it to a ride height and don't mess with it because to do so properly would be beyond mosts peoples abilities.

Smike is being harsh because 1) These re the same questions and bottom line is most newer Evo owners just want to lower the car. and 2) Most don;t quantify their needs because most of the members cars on this forum are mainly street vehicles.

Last thing. I'm a Honda guy as well and you can't NOT compare suspension for a Civic/TSX/Integra to a Evo. Evo platform is designed for performance at a certain level. Those others are not on the same level (maybe the S2K, but there are inherent differences between RWD convertibles vs. 4 door Rally cars).
Look man, first off I don't care why smike is harsh, I never asked for his input and actually I don't think he's that bad compared to someone on nasioc LoL. I'm sure smike is very knowledgeable on suspension, I've read some of his posts about strut& spring combos. No you cannot compare those other car mentioned to an evo, I'm simply saying that the cars mentioned all had good things to say about that brand. I'm sure you've seen Hondas, toyotas and nissans at time attacks and auto x events and some of those guys are hardcore and only put the good stuff on thier cars. I don't track my car, but if I did, especially rally I would put the really good stuff on. But since I don't it would
Only be a waste of money to buy a product that I'll never use to its max potential. I've "heard" these coilovers are decent for DD and occasional spirited runs through the canyons, but like I said I "haven't" installed them yet. And later on If I want a little more out of them then I'll get them muellerized. Btw, OP never mentioned what his intensions were just that of anyone had feedback on F&F's. Which nobody here really does but still feel the need to bash on them because they're "sub 1500 coils".
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lack of understanding of what parts do what.

Spending $850 bucks for some cheap coilover so you can say you have coilovers does not make them worth the metal they are made from.

Originally Posted by Smike
The issue here is that you are trying to justify your purchase of a subpar coilover.
See ^

My very first comment still is the most clear. Expect the same as Megans et al.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CLOUD9
Look man, first off I don't care why smike is harsh, I never asked for his input
You asked for his input when you posted on a public board and he is the resident suspension guru.

Closing the thread, i think you got your answer.