Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Monroe Struts For Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arxylis
I sure hope they fit... I was just about to place an order for fronts and rears until I read this thread. The price is great, but until someone can confirm their fitment, I'll hold off on clicking the checkout button. I might stop by Advanced here in the next couple days if they have any in stock to compare...
same as hope they do fit, i emailed rockauto about part #72141 and they said the fit the evo, but i still unsure... and dont want 2 buy yet tell i get more info on them as im in ireland and dont want 2 have 2 send them back if wrong...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
72142 (Lancer Ralliart) has the correct small piston.

I dealt with Monroe years ago, they did not have the proper Evo fitment (larger piston).

Bilstein HD or used MR are still the known to fit replacement sets.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:14 PM

I have ordered them from Rock Auto and they arrived today (to Dublin).

(I have an Evo VII on which the struts are the same as and interchangeable with the VIII)

The Monroe strut IS NOT a fit. The spring seat is 1" less in diameter than the OEM KYB strut on the VII which is the same diameter as the seat on the Bilsteins.

The springs won't fit the strut in my experience. I am now gonna have to return the shocks which cost me €180/$238, as well as another €82/$108 for shipping from my side.

I am going to contact Rock Auto as well as Monroe as I feel they are responsible for incorrect information and should be responsible for the return shipping cost also
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:56 AM

Called Monroe

They have advised me that the OESpectrum 72141 do not fit the Evo and that Monroe do not have a compatible strut for the Evo

BUT

the OESpectrum 72142 does look like the correct shape. The seat on the 72141 is an incomplete seat but the 72142 is a complete enclosed seat.

Has anyone tried the 72142?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
No. Just because they look the same; does not mean they are.

That is the Ralliart fitment. Which I tested...and it did not fit the RA. Stroke was too long in the strut. Caused the spring to unseat on bumps.

Evo options:
OEM KYB
Used Bilstein MRs
New Bilstein HDs
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:51 AM

True.

I've now managed to source a set of OEM struts from an RS VII with very low miles so that'll have to do until I decide on either coilovers or Bilstein's

@meldoyle~evo7....I know of a pair of front shocks (full assembly) for sale in Co Meath for €150. They came from a rear-ended VII...

PM me if you want the details
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Se7ve
I have ordered them from Rock Auto and they arrived today (to Dublin).

(I have an Evo VII on which the struts are the same as and interchangeable with the VIII)

The Monroe strut IS NOT a fit. The spring seat is 1" less in diameter than the OEM KYB strut on the VII which is the same diameter as the seat on the Bilsteins.

The springs won't fit the strut in my experience. I am now gonna have to return the shocks which cost me €180/$238, as well as another €82/$108 for shipping from my side.

I am going to contact Rock Auto as well as Monroe as I feel they are responsible for incorrect information and should be responsible for the return shipping cost also
Snap i 2 got the Monroe shocks last week of rockauto, sending back today.. I email rockauto and they are covering the postage back and refunding all my money so lucky won't be out.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:23 AM

PM replied to.

So does anyone know if these (Monroe 7214) fit any other Lancers?