Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking Issue with CirroDesign Top Hats led to this

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunking Issue with CirroDesign Top Hats led to this

I have an Evo IX with KW V3s, and just installed some 8k springs for the front, with 9k springs for the rear to help with the mid corner push I have been experiencing.

Also installed CirroDesign front camber plates, as I had crazy outside tire wear and heat cycling from tracking last year on the stock top hats on the front set at negative 2.2

It was clunking a lot during turning after installation, so I thought the top hat bolts needed to be tightened some more.

I tighted it with my impact, and I guess I impacted it WAY TOO long and overtighted it. Went for a test drive, and the clunking seemed to simmer down, and then all of a sudden BOOOOOM!!!

Long store short, took apart the front shock assembly after noticing the strut rod nut missing from the passenger side top hat, and the car's awkward stance.

It looks like I will need a new strut rod nut, and the other part broke off inside the strut rod, looks like the shock will have to be re-built. What's involved with this? I have an event to attend next Saturday!!!! Can I even make it?

What do you think the next best course of action is? What is the clunking issue during sharp turns?

EDIT: Talked with KW and they said the noise is normal, and it's a spring binding issue due to the caster. I am already working to send these back to KW to rebuild the Strut Rod Assembly. They said it's about two weeks.

Last edited by Johns_EVO_IX_SE; Mar 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
resize pictures please. hard to tell from ginormatron pictures. but this is definitely install error.
never hammer the impact on things like this.

contact cirodesign about the top nut thing. your shock is going to have to be sent in for rebuild cause from the ginormatron pics, it looks like the piston top snapped. most likely its going to be costly.
from the looks, its not just a revalve/ rebuild, you have to buy another piston which is like buying another coilover.
i would NOT try and rush things to make it to the event. on the other hand, see how much it is, if its expensive you could result to buying another members kw suspension thats on sale, i believe the clubsports if your pockets are deep.
good luck.

Last edited by sujinX; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
you WAY over torqued the strut nut. I'm not familiar with KW spares availability but you should be able to send these in for rebuild and have them replace the shaft. Get on the phone with Robi, or Mueller and bring you pocket book if you want quick turnaround.

FYI, most camber plates make some sort of noise as a byproduct of the more metal/less rubber.

Last edited by griceiv; Mar 16, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe Robispec rebuilds KW coilovers, give him a call.