Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Make the Evo's rough ride less rough

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
...maybe its a good time to sell my setup

fyi, if you're looking for something smoother on regular streets/rougher roads, nothing with a stiffer suspension is going to do that for you. while most coilovers can handle streets they're designed for glass smooth tracks.

when i went to the gtworx springs + bilstein HDs, i immediately noticed both the stiffer spring from the gtworx (felt more bumps than I did on stock suspension) and also the fact that those bumps were getting damped out better by the bilsteins. swift spec r's, while they're definitely the better performance choice, are gonna be even more jarring than gtworx or stock, even though they're going to be damped better.

i remember how the stock springs and kyb dampers felt, especially over potholes. it didn't even feel like there was a suspension. I think GTWorx springs + MR bilsteins may be a good choice for you
That sounds good, ima look up those parts right now
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AustinB768
That sounds like a great idea,and even tho I dont lets just say I had to get coilovers, what kind would you suggest for a street setup?
I think some custom valved Ohlins would make for a nice ride but they're pricey. I would still recommend the MR Bilstein, even if you choose to revalve them to a softer spring it would still be considerably cheaper than a set of coilovers that could offer the ride quality that setup is capable of. Sets are regularly listed in the Marketplace section of Evom.

Last edited by nudge120; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
That sounds good, ima look up those parts right now
well don't just take my word for it, i've never even ridden in an MR, that's just my guess from what i've heard - that it's a little more comforatble than bilstein HD's, and that gtworx springs are definitely softer than spec r's - there may be better spring and better damper options
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:26 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
...deleted...

Last edited by FJF; Apr 30, 2012 at 03:28 AM. Reason: hopeless
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

I know it seems weird but like I said it's my "get away" car and when I "get away" I take trips to nags head and hatteras so I'm on the highway for a while and was trying to see if you guys had any suggestions or ideas to maybe make it a smoother ride thats all. Even tho I don't race it doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't try and make it more comfortable for me you know?
Completely get you and agree with you on that, just curious if their is such a coilover that is a better dd setup than the stock bilsteins... personally I would think not
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm 65 and I guess there must be something wrong with me. The complaints about the KYB damper and spring combination seem universal but I think the car rides great.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I'm 65 and I guess there must be something wrong with me. The complaints about the KYB damper and spring combination seem universal but I think the car rides great.
i dont think they ride bad, i just think the bilsteins ride that much better.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
i dont think they ride bad, i just think the bilsteins ride that much better.
No doubt it's a significant difference for Evo enthusiasts like us. But I wonder if Tein with lowest damping setting can provide an even smoother ride.

Regarding suspension stiffness, I'm a madman that no ride (not even go-karts with no suspension) is stiff enough to me. However, I see nothing wrong in desiring a comfortable ride for DD.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Serbj
No doubt it's a significant difference for Evo enthusiasts like us. But I wonder if Tein with lowest damping setting can provide an even smoother ride.

Regarding suspension stiffness, I'm a madman that no ride (not even go-karts with no suspension) is stiff enough to me. However, I see nothing wrong in desiring a comfortable ride for DD.
Ever heard anything about the Megan Racng Damper kit?
Old May 1, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

That sounds like a great idea,and even tho I dont lets just say I had to get coilovers, what kind would you suggest for a street setup?
You'd need to start with a good quality coilover and then put relatively soft springs on them and then get them valved properly. The odds of getting that combo right are slim. As has been mentioned ad nauseum, your best bet is a set of Bilstein struts (HD or off an MR) matched with a good spring (Swift, GTWorx). I run Bilstein HD struts with Swift Spec-R springs and my Evo is now the smoothest driving car I own. IMO the step-linear nature of the Swift springs make them a perfect combination of smooth street ride and good performance.

l8r)
Old May 1, 2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
You'd need to start with a good quality coilover and then put relatively soft springs on them and then get them valved properly. The odds of getting that combo right are slim. As has been mentioned ad nauseum, your best bet is a set of Bilstein struts (HD or off an MR) matched with a good spring (Swift, GTWorx). I run Bilstein HD struts with Swift Spec-R springs and my Evo is now the smoothest driving car I own. IMO the step-linear nature of the Swift springs make them a perfect combination of smooth street ride and good performance.

l8r)
Then I think that's what I will go with, thanks bro!
Old May 1, 2012, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

You'd be surprised the difference. I thought the KYB/Teins were decent until I put the Bilstein/Spec-R's on. Before I'd hit bumps and it was jarring and it dove into corners. Now the bumps are smooth and it corners like a shifter kart. I almost bought KW3's, I couldn't be happier that I spent 1/3rd the money and got exactly what I wanted.
Old May 1, 2012, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

That's because you probably grew up driving a Model-T ... j/k ...

I didn't find the KYB's harsh, just too pogo-stick(ish), if that's a word. Really annoying over certain stretches of interstate in the Chicago area.

l8r)
Old May 1, 2012, 05:02 PM

If you have adjustable coilovers just adjust your settings until you are comfortable with them. I had Tein SS coilovers on a previous vehicle and they were great for lower cost suspension.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there a difference between the Bilstein HD's and the MR Bilstiens? If so what and which offers the smoothest ride?

Quick Reply: Make the Evo's rough ride less rough