Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Make the Evo's rough ride less rough

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Make the Evo's rough ride less rough

I've asked this same question to some of my local car enthusiasts but they don't seem to understand what I'm going for all they care about is stretch and poke. What I want is a coilover kit that makes my ride the most comfortable to drive compaired to stock, I don't really want to lower my EVO IX at all but I know all coilovers lower your car to some extent. I don't even race my EVO and the only kind of hard driving it sees is just some agressive street use but that's it, no track use what so ever. I also have normal size tires and rims so like I said I'm NOT going for the whole "stretch and poke" look, and please keep in mind that the cost really doesn't matter because IMO you get what you pay for and I sometimes hate seeing car parts that have "For the budget minded car owner" in it. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

no offense but an evo was never really meant to be "smooth" they tried to smooth things out a bit in the x and according to those who have driven an xiii or xi and an x they were somewhat succesfull
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go with a fresh set of Bilstein HD's
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bilstein w/ Robispec or Swift for the budget minded

KW, Moton, Oehlin or Exe-TC set up by somebody in the know if you want to spend ...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Out of curiosity, why bother changing the stock suspension if their is no intention to lower or stiffen up the suspension. For strickly dd, that sees no harsh abuse... isnt stock suspension good enough? Whats the point of going coilovers, are the stockers blown?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:34 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinB768
I've asked this same question to some of my local car enthusiasts but they don't seem to understand what I'm going for all they care about is stretch and poke. What I want is a coilover kit that makes my ride the most comfortable to drive compaired to stock, I don't really want to lower my EVO IX at all but I know all coilovers lower your car to some extent. I don't even race my EVO and the only kind of hard driving it sees is just some agressive street use but that's it, no track use what so ever. I also have normal size tires and rims so like I said I'm NOT going for the whole "stretch and poke" look, and please keep in mind that the cost really doesn't matter because IMO you get what you pay for and I sometimes hate seeing car parts that have "For the budget minded car owner" in it. Any suggestions?

You need the factory Bilstein suspension (stock springs) and a tire like the Hankook Evo. The ride quality on smooth surfaces is not unlike a big Jaguar. FWIW, there's a Bilstein suspension in the classifieds right now. Good luck.

Originally Posted by foxbear2277
Out of curiosity, why bother changing the stock suspension if their is no intention to lower or stiffen up the suspension.
I changed the stock SE suspension to the factory Bilstein setup. Stiffer doesn't mean faster. In my area, a more complaint setup can track over road anomalies much more effectively, allowing for more control and ultimately more speed.

Last edited by FJF; Apr 29, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You already have coil overs :P

Bilstein HDs + Swift Sports for GSR = ultra smooth ride.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Stiffer doesn't mean faster. In my area, a more complaint setup can track over road anomalies much more effectively, allowing for more control and ultimately more speed.
I definently agree with you with that ^^^^
Stiffer definenlty does not mean faster in all cases as mentioned. Their are always lots of variables to consider
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Smike

darn tootin! dramatically better ride over the stock kyb's.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Bilstein HD/Spec-R=sex. I put mine on today and couldn't be happier. Used to have KYB/Tein, finally I don't dive into corners! Really smooth and tight
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Smike

Good luck finding this setup. I've been trying to find some HDs for months sold out nation wide.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by foxbear2277
Out of curiosity, why bother changing the stock suspension if their is no intention to lower or stiffen up the suspension. For strickly dd, that sees no harsh abuse... isnt stock suspension good enough? Whats the point of going coilovers, are the stockers blown?
I know it seems weird but like I said it's my "get away" car and when I "get away" I take trips to nags head and hatteras so I'm on the highway for a while and was trying to see if you guys had any suggestions or ideas to maybe make it a smoother ride thats all. Even tho I don't race it doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't try and make it more comfortable for me you know?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get some MR Bilsteins, if they're not "smooth" enough revalve them for a softer spring. No need to spend the money on a set of coilovers if your not looking for performance.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by nudge120
Get some MR Bilsteins, if they're not "smooth" enough revalve them for a softer spring. No need to spend the money on a set of coilovers if your not looking for performance.

That sounds like a great idea,and even tho I dont lets just say I had to get coilovers, what kind would you suggest for a street setup?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by D999SS
Good luck finding this setup. I've been trying to find some HDs for months sold out nation wide.
...maybe its a good time to sell my setup

fyi, if you're looking for something smoother on regular streets/rougher roads, nothing with a stiffer suspension is going to do that for you. while most coilovers can handle streets they're designed for glass smooth tracks.

when i went to the gtworx springs + bilstein HDs, i immediately noticed both the stiffer spring from the gtworx (felt more bumps than I did on stock suspension) and also the fact that those bumps were getting damped out better by the bilsteins. swift spec r's, while they're definitely the better performance choice, are gonna be even more jarring than gtworx or stock, even though they're going to be damped better.

i remember how the stock springs and kyb dampers felt, especially over potholes. it didn't even feel like there was a suspension. I think GTWorx springs + MR bilsteins may be a good choice for you

Last edited by kyoo; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Make the Evo's rough ride less rough