Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

I hate to make this thread - yes I've searched (front sway bar)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate to make this thread - yes I've searched (front sway bar)

I searched for a couple days now gathering information but I still can't make a decision.

I have Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers and nothing else as far as suspension goes, I don't currently track the car but I would love to do road course one day. I only drive on the street but I love to drive aggressively and take on-ramps and back country roads really fast

Anyways, I have the subframe out of the car for a clutch/tranny build and if it's recommended to change anything on there I would love to do it now as opposed to later when it's back on the car and a pain in the ***. I've decided on a whiteline 26mm front swaybar, any input on this would be greatly appreciated. If it's not necessary then I'll just put it back in stock, but if it's something you guys recommend then I'll spend the money now and save the headache later

thanks in advance
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey, Im just a junior member of this suspension forum but here's my .02

My suspension tuner (Muellerized) frowns on FSB's due to front tire lift (Not a good thing on an AWD sports car) & does not recommend them unless other higher end suspension mods have already been done (Not a good thing on an AWD sports car)

Most of the suspension heads here on this forum will probably tell you to do it while your at it. Whiteline

EDIT^^^

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jul 2, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:57 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I recommend what Peter*g told me about FSB based off of what Ralliart does for their cars that run on the tarmac.

I ran the Whiteline 26mm front / 24mm rear. I attached the recommended suspension specs from Ralliart for tarmac events. The recommend up to a 27mm front bar. The fat front bar keeps the front roll under control and lets the front tires work better.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
My suspension tuner frowns on FSB's due to front tire lift & does not recommend them (Not a good thing on an AWD sports car)
Nothing against your suspension tuner, since I have no idea how much experience he has, but I trust Ralliart and the amount of race experience they have especially with the Evolution platform.

As with any suspension set-up, you need to ensure you do everything as a complete package as the parts need to be tuned together as a system.

Old Jul 2, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

so what I gathered from that is if I do a front sway bar, I should also do the rear to keep things balanced?

front 26mm, rear 24mm? Whiteline, or another brand? There is a special on another forum for any suspension products today only so I would like to make a decision today

Last edited by ILuvJDM; Jul 2, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 01:48 PM
EvoM Community Team

Whiteline, Perrin, etc any well known name is a safe bet.

Do a 24mm adjustable rear and go from there.

Old Jul 2, 2012, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

are these necessary if I never track the car? I MIGHT do an event but from what I've heard about trashing brakes and such I might not ever see a track
Old Jul 2, 2012, 02:52 PM
EvoM Community Team

You do not need upgraded sway bars on a street car.

Old Jul 2, 2012, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

that was my main question. I have the ambition of tracking the car one day, but then again I may never do it. So I find it hard to spend money on something that I might not ever take advantage of... thanks for the help
Old Jul 2, 2012, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about for a 1/4 mile car or does it not matter as much
Old Jul 2, 2012, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're thinking that tracking the car is a once a year thing for you, then don't waste your time or money. If you're just going out to have fun and not be competitive, there's no need to touch your sway bars.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVILutionVIII
If you're thinking that tracking the car is a once a year thing for you, then don't waste your time or money. If you're just going out to have fun and not be competitive, there's no need to touch your sway bars.
perfectly worded, I'll save my money thanks
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The front swaybar is an awesome upgrade...as good as the rear IMO if done appropriately. If you're in there, it's a worthwhile upgrade if you're looking for a bang for the buck improvement. If you're happy with the way your car handles now though then don't worry about it, this would just improve things.

- Andrew
Old Jul 3, 2012, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
^ that.

Whiteline front and 24mm adjustable rear.

Now - do you need it? First - stop upgrading the car before you go out for a track day. You already have too much car to push 11/10ths. Learn the car as-is -- then modify it appropriately from there.

My .02 as a racer and instructor.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

I probably won't ever track the car but if I do it will just be for a weekend of fun. I got coilovers strictly to lower the car because at the end of the day it's still a street car
Old Jul 3, 2012, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 734 Likes on 570 Posts
Front sway bar decisions need to be made around front roll. Do you have enough spring to control roll? How low is the car effecting roll moment? How much camber do you run? How sticky are your tires?

There is no one answer. More front grip will cause more front roll which may cause less front grip. Grip stops when tires aren't happy, either from decreased camber or too much weight transfer. My method on a street car is to reduce roll. At least the perceived difference will feel better.

On my car though, crank up that front spring rate and soften the bar. You dont want to DD my car...

Quick Reply: I hate to make this thread - yes I've searched (front sway bar)