Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Questions about Lowering 06 MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Lowering 06 MR

The time to lower the Evo is rapidly approaching (had the car for 3 days already )

The only thing is I am unfamiliar with the platform and have some questions. First and foremost, I searched through the how to / install thread and couldn't find a writeup about it. Does anyone have a link to one?

Next question. I will most likely be going with the Eibach pro kit. The car has 40k miles on it. Will I need to upgrade shocks / struts / caster camber kit? I will be running factory rims as well.

Much appreciated
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's a link to a basic install thread, kinda barebones, but it should be enough - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...evolution.html

As for your springs, may want to take a quick look into this sticky - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ate-chart.html

Those Eibachs have lower spring rates than the OEM springs
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:19 AM

Thank so much for the links. They are very helpful. So I will be fine just swapping the springs?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd go with a different spring.

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles..._article_id=22

Inspect struts for leaks, scoring on shafts, and return. They should spring back (check both...if one is really slow/fast -- could be on way out).

Camber is done via OE camber bolts.

You must get an alignment after.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yes, You can run just the Eibach's w/your stock struts. I ran the Eibach Pro-Kit ($224.00 Tire Rack) as my first suspension mod & they are a solid choice & not harsh. (Also, Because of the modest drop, no need to cut the bump stops)

Heres an old pic the Eibachs installed

Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
While you're there it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace shock mounts and the like. You can typically get away w/out an alignment kit when using the Eibach springs.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

IMO you can do a lot better than the Eibach springs. Swift and GTWorx come to mind...

l8r)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
IMO you can do a lot better than the Eibach springs.
Better compared to what The Eibachs are USA made & are high quality. Maybe if the OP was into serious track day'n it, there maybe other choices.

For DD'ing it, the Eibachs will firm up your ride & modestly lower it
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:10 PM

so with the MR I know the springs are different.. But down the road if he were to get coilovers are they the same on all ? Or would there be a version to fit the MR?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Coilovers fit the same on all. OEM MR Bilstein dampers also fit on GSR/RS models. The springs are slightly different because of the Bilsteins' gas pressure, or so I'm told by Andrew @ GTWorx.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Better compared to what The Eibachs are USA made & are high quality. Maybe if the OP was into serious track day'n it, there maybe other choices...
I believe my post was fairly succinct on that. To reiterate: IMO (in my opinion) Swift or GTWorx springs are a better choice than the Eibach springs ... for whatever use the car is intended.

l8r)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:57 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jrandy
The time to lower the Evo is rapidly approaching (had the car for 3 days already )
Why is it time to lower it? Seriously. Why? You just got the car. You were lucky enough to find one whose suspension hasn't been molested. Why not drive a world class setup for a while - since that's what you have - and see where your skill level stands and what your driving style may need help with. Then, address modifications, if needed. Someone had to say it.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I believe my post was fairly succinct on that. To reiterate: IMO (in my opinion) Swift or GTWorx springs are a better choice than the Eibach springs ... for whatever use the car is intended.
Why not offer up the details as to why they are better. Lets compare.

Just because one spring has a higher rate than the other doesn't qualify it as being better
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Why is it time to lower it? Seriously. Why? You just got the car. You were lucky enough to find one whose suspension hasn't been molested. Why not drive a world class setup for a while - since that's what you have - and see where your skill level stands and what your driving style may need help with. Then, address modifications, if needed. Someone had to say it.
+ 1000..... seriously, OP tells us WHY!!!!???
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
+ 1000..... seriously, OP tells us WHY!!!!???
Honestly a large portion of the decision is cosmetic. The car would look much better a bit lower IMO. As far as skill levels and driving styles, the car doesn't see the track. It won't be autocrossed. It won't be open tracked. It won't be brought down the 1320. It's merely a fun sporty car for me. I drive most the time like a grandpa, but it will also see it's fair share of spirited driving when the mood strikes.

It's a set of lowering springs. I personally wouldn't call that "molesting" the suspension. If I do not like the ride height, it's too bumpy, or any other negative that could come with it, it's not hard to put back the stock springs.

I also have been digging around and searching alot and I ended up buying some Swift Sports.

Quick Reply: Questions about Lowering 06 MR