Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My brakes breaked...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My brakes breaked...

Stupid title, sorry still happy from decent few days racing.

However, have a potential issue. I didn't have the spare coin to do some cooling ducts on my evo before tracking it. Running DTC60 pads, overheated them pretty bad once, and semi-overheated again. Bled the fluid just as precaution(pedal never sank, just lost braking capacity and overran a turn).

My left front pads practically disappeared 1/16-1/8 inch every 30 min session, while the right front's seem just fine. Any ideas? That normal for a toasted pad?

The car still stops excellent, just ate the hell out of a set of pads. That makes about 10 20-30min sessions that the pads lasted...and I might have been able to do one more session, but wasn't willing to risk it.

Full stock brake system aside from pads and motul fluid, nt01 tires...if any of that matters.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If those are your current numbers, I would have to think you have too much power to not upgrade the brakes. Maybe some vaned rotors if you don't want to do ducts.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not against the ducts at all, they are happening, just didn't have the coin before the event. It makes 350/320 on the tune I had in it for the track.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
DTC60s without venting/cooling (no dust shields + ducts) will wear fast. Is the backing plate paint gone? If so, they're very very hot.

What direction to you turn more on that track?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Haven't gotten under the car to check the backing plate paint. The calipers are f'n toast now color wise though lol. When I came off track after a semi-overheat I couldn't even check my tire pressures because it was burning my hand. Lots of heat.

Turn right more on the track, but I don't do a ton of trailbraking so I would think it wouldn't effect the pads that much..?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a lot of power, good tires with lots of grip and just not enough cooling for the brakes. Better rotors and ducting should solve your issue.

We haven't addressed your driving style either...

Do you try to do a cool down lap before you come in, or at least driving around for a few minutes after you come in? Or do you just come in and park it?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

The track I was running is 3.27 miles. Checker is at halfway point, so just cruise in for that, maybe one lap around pits, and then park it.