Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Is my DD brake choice a good one?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is my DD brake choice a good one?

Hey guys, I'm about to re-do the brakes on the Evo and I need your input on my brake choice. I have done some research and well, what i've learned is that generally, you choose a brake set up that works for your needs. I do not track my car and I don't plan to in the near future simply because I can't afford it, nor do I have the time. I only drive to school, to work, to the mall and such places.

I have read SmikeEvo's thread on brakes and decided upon the following:

1. Centric Premium Front Brake Rotors
2. Centric Premium Rear Brake Rotors
3. Stoptech street performance pads
4. techna-fit stainless steel brake line kit

SmikeEvo's thread on brakes was posted in 2008. There might be better products (rotors, pads etc.) on the market right now, so please let me know what you think or advise me on what's better. I would like to maintain or better the stock set up.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the quality and the price, you can't beat that combination. Anything else would just be plain overkill for a DD.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thats almost what i have now. i just received my Stoptech Pads so those will be going in sometime soon. but i also have the Techna fit lines and i have a set of rotorpros slotted rotors. i currently have a set of Satisfied GS6 pads installed and they were real good on the street. now im going to try the Stop techs.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Setup sounds good. Thats the setup i would do too.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with SS lines for a purely DD setup, unless your stock lines are worn out and need replacing anyways.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

That's my setup as well. Works great for dd and the stoptechs will be fine even if you ever decide to do some autox.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

I love my stoptechs!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
That's my AutoX setup, although I don't have the SS lines. I'd stick with the rubber ones for DD.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Has anyone considered PFC's z-rated pads? They cost about the same as the stoptechs too. I have them, but have not installed them yet. The only pads I have had are stock and Ferodo ds-2500, so if they can compare then they can be an alternative.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for your input guys. I'll go ahead with this set up.

Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle
For the quality and the price, you can't beat that combination. Anything else would just be plain overkill for a DD.
Yea, the selling point was the price and quality, plus there are good reviews on it.

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
thats almost what i have now. i just received my Stoptech Pads so those will be going in sometime soon. but i also have the Techna fit lines and i have a set of rotorpros slotted rotors. i currently have a set of Satisfied GS6 pads installed and they were real good on the street. now im going to try the Stop techs.
Your set up sounds nice. I like how the slotted rotors look to be honest but the 2 things which have deterred me from getting them are:

1. I won't utilize the slots because the brakes don't heat up enough on the street to release the built up gases.
2. Can't turn the slotted rotors if the need arises later down the road.

Originally Posted by Construct
That's my AutoX setup, although I don't have the SS lines. I'd stick with the rubber ones for DD.
Originally Posted by Raptord
I wouldn't even bother with SS lines for a purely DD setup, unless your stock lines are worn out and need replacing anyways.
They aren't worn out but i'm doing an entire fluid flush and change on the car. So while i'm already on it doing that, I might as well right? Plus the guys at MAP gave me awesome pricing on it so i'll just get it anyways to reduce the squishy pedal feel.

Originally Posted by TommiM
That's my setup as well. Works great for dd and the stoptechs will be fine even if you ever decide to do some autox.
That's great news knowing that the set up also can work for auto-xing.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Stoptech FTW. Well balanced for most situations / applications. The only downside to the 309 pads is in cold weather. The first stop experience may leave you breathless. Once they heat up you are golden

Brake dust level is respectable as well.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by importmachine
Thanks for your input guys. I'll go ahead with this set up.

They aren't worn out but i'm doing an entire fluid flush and change on the car. So while i'm already on it doing that, I might as well right? Plus the guys at MAP gave me awesome pricing on it so i'll just get it anyways to reduce the squishy pedal feel

Stainless steel brake lines are a wear item. Dirt will eventually work it's way between the stainless steel braid and the inner teflon line, and with enough movement over time this will cause a leak.

From what I recall, the techna-fit lines have a PVC outer cover to inhibit this process, but I would still replace them after 4-5 years. Or just stick with the hassle-free OEM lines.