Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Just track/road tested Dunlop ZII's, BFG Rivals,

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just track/road tested Dunlop ZII's, BFG Rivals,

B-Stone Potenza RE-11A, and the Yoko Neova AD08 R. Today and yesterday ambient temps hovered around 74 deg, sunny, dry, and with light breeze out of the north. Great conditions for our testing. Here's how my track times came out,

Dunlop - 29.30
Yoko - 30.77
BFG - 30.53
B-Stone - 30.69

I'm not sure how that compares to everyone else here just yet, but gives you an idea.

At this level it's kind of difficult to see a large difference between their performance. Although small, each showed unique personalities. The BFG was the most tail happy of the bunch, but recovered the best when they cut loose (probably not as much of an issue for the EVO being AWD as much as it was for our RWD BMW's). The Yoko did really well, but due to the large price gap compared to the others, not sure how popular of a choice they will be. B-Stone was really planted to the ground on initial launch and through our skid pad. Hard braking was strongest from the BFG and B-Stone.

On the streets ride quality was pretty equal amongst the group. However, the Dunlop had a really unusual noise when driven on asphalt/expansion joints filled with tar. It sounded like I was driving over Velcro the entire time. Similar sound a taser makes or a Fruit Roll-Up being peeled away from the wrapper. Never had a tire sound like that in the 11 years I've been here. Other reps experienced the same thing.

We have not yet completed wet testing. That should be wrapped up this week. Full test reports and overall rankings will be posted on our site as soon as data is complied.

So who is king of the hill? It's hard to say from my test alone. In the long term I think the strongest following will rest between the BFG and Dunlop. Majority of loyal ZI fans will probably continue on with the ZII and like them even more, Hankook and Yoko owners may become Rival fans. The unfortunate thing is most people won't get to experience both in one season due to their great tread wear. Hopefully as these trickle into the market more we'll get a better idea of their long term personalities.

Stay tuned!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
wow - zii took the bfgs this round
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Havent tried out the Rivals but currently have the Z11 and I will agree with the weird sounds. If you dont mind cold i give my input on the Z11 which i own?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

how does the RS3 compare?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Neal-Thanks for the info, its great to start getting some feedback on the new tires. I've gone through a couple sets of ZI's so as you guessed, I'm eyeing the ZII's. Its tough to judge a tire simply on track times as they all have their unique qualities and some drivers may prefer one over the other depending on their driving style. Also what's fast on a RWD bimmer may be different that an evo.

I guess ultimately all 4 are quite capable tires, so its really going to come down to price availability, sizing and brand loyalty.

Any updated on the release data for the Yoko R'?

Also, I'm really bummed out that the widest 17" tire seems to be a 255 these days. I wish Dunlop didnt drop their 265/40-17. If any of those tires offer something wider than a 255 in a 17" that may make my decision easier.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 725 Likes on 567 Posts
We've also found on our local STR cars R1-Rs, ZII's, and Rivals all need a little different setup. I can elude to exactly what the guys are needing to do but as Neal said, each tire has its strengths. The setups are going to need to play on that strength.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting.

Grassroots Motorsport did a Rival/ZII/RS3 test in the last issue, and they concluded that Rival was both faster and more consistant than ZII. They did a similar length course - about 30 sec. They found the Rivals to be 0.3 faster than the ZIIs and RS3s. Their test was on a 2000lb CRX, IIRC...
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by msterrorist
how does the RS3 compare?
In Grassroots Motorsport's test in the June issue, the RS3 and ZII put down pretty much identical times. Although they found both were about 3/10ths behind the Rival.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How does the new Falken Azenis RT615K compare with these tires?

http://falkentire.com/tires/car-tires/azenis-rt615k
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
When the new 615 came out the reviews werent that spectacular so I'd imagine it falls behind all these new tires.

In the extreme performance summer tires category there are what, seven different tires?

Dunlop Star Specs ZI (now the improved ZII)
Yoko AD08 (New AD08R)
Bridgestone RE11 Now RE-11A
BFG Rivals
Hankook RS3
Nitto NT-05
Falken RT615K

As I said though comparing these tires solely based on a lap time I think is silly. Whats more important is what you as a driver are looking for. Things such as:

-Ability to get up to temp quickly
-Maintain performance at temperature without getting too greasy
-Sidewall stiffness
-Ultimate grip
-Performance in the wet
-Tread wear
-Sizing
-Availability
-Price

I've seen good tire comparisons but it all comes down to the driver and the specific vehicle. Declaring the best tire is like declaring the hottest girl; its a matter of opinion. Sidewall stiffness is more important to you than ultimate grip, just like ***** more important than an ***.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor

That's how I feel also. People have been wanting feedback for a while now so that's what I gave above. Others will have different results as testing continues and as they work into the market. My op is not a final word, but just a taste of what I experience when driving them.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Uh, is any of this track testing or all autox stuff? Wonder how these hold up under 20 minute sessions. The Z1 was hard to beat for an HPDE tire. Took heat great and lasted.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Auto-x is what us small fish get to do on our test track.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree the ZII's make some weird sounds. Not that bad really. The velcro sound went away after the first day for me. Seems like the tire sticks to the track like velcro though!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
Auto-x is what us small fish get to do on our test track.
Not knocking the feedback. Just would like to also hear about road course performance. The performance-longevity balance of the Z1 was outstanding. As a NASA instructor I have recommended them to many students as an HPDE tire.

Quick Reply: Just track/road tested Dunlop ZII's, BFG Rivals,