Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake bleeding issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Brake bleeding issues

So I had my brakes powdercoated recently and I've been trying to put them back on my car since I haven't driven it in about a month and I'd like to drive it some more before the winter comes. I know the brake bleeding order but when I sent the brakes out I drained out just about all the old brake fluid. I filled it with the super blue fluid and started bleeding my brakes. I pushed out all the old fluid until the blue fluid started to come out and I really didn't notice any bubbles coming out after about 3-4 times. I did however notice that the fluid in the reservoir kept splaying around everytime I had my gf pump the brakes and I did have the cover on the master cylinder as well. My brakes still aren't the way they should be. The pedal goes almost down to the floor unless I pump it 3-4 times while its running. I also noticed the brake pedal really never got hard during the bleeding procedure. Has anyone ever had issues like this? I'm gonna try bleeding the brakes again but I had to order more brake fluid.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
keep bleeding
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
because u left the cover on
its suppose to be off and topped off.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't think it mattered if the master cylinder cap was on or off but I'll try it again with the cap off. I also noticed the little brake line that goes from one side of the front caliper to the other was leaking a little bit so I tightened the line some more.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 19DB794
So I had my brakes powdercoated recently and I've been trying to put them back on my car since I haven't driven it in about a month and I'd like to drive it some more before the winter comes. I know the brake bleeding order but when I sent the brakes out I drained out just about all the old brake fluid. I filled it with the super blue fluid and started bleeding my brakes. I pushed out all the old fluid until the blue fluid started to come out and I really didn't notice any bubbles coming out after about 3-4 times. I did however notice that the fluid in the reservoir kept splaying around everytime I had my gf pump the brakes and I did have the cover on the master cylinder as well. My brakes still aren't the way they should be. The pedal goes almost down to the floor unless I pump it 3-4 times while its running. I also noticed the brake pedal really never got hard during the bleeding procedure. Has anyone ever had issues like this? I'm gonna try bleeding the brakes again but I had to order more brake fluid.
http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/brak...ebleeding.html
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check for leaks then keep bleeding. Its going to take a while
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Bleeding to get air out can sometimes take a lot of brake fluid. Therefore, I'd recommend you use the cheapest brake fluid you can find and then when the pedal is hard, replace with your expensive fluid.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a vacumn pump..... Best 40 bucks youll ever spend and you can bleed your brakes yourself and do fluid changes easily. Plus you dont really lose and brake fluid you just fill the bottle inline with your pump, then dump the fluid back into the resevoir.... Its awesome.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
OP- I see you live in Lowell. Just throwing this out there, I live in Medfield and work in Westborough which both arent really too close to you however if you want I have a Motive Power Bleeder that you are more than welcome to borrow. It may facilitate the process so I figured I would offer.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/brak...ebleeding.html

This is the right answer.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem when I got my brakes powdercoated. Getting them power bled(pressure bled) was the only way I got them bled. I also had tried the manual method of bleeding and a vacuum bleeder for about 2 quarts of fluid before I just had a shop power bleed them and I think it was only $50. Good luck!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

I ordered the motive power bleeder so I'm gonna give it a try this weekend. I already know how to bleed brakes and the brake bleeding sequence but for whatever reason the pedal just never seems to get hard but it seems to be getting better the more I bleed. I guess there's just alot of air in the system.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
OP- I see you live in Lowell. Just throwing this out there, I live in Medfield and work in Westborough which both arent really too close to you however if you want I have a Motive Power Bleeder that you are more than welcome to borrow. It may facilitate the process so I figured I would offer.
Thank you for the offer. I wish I saw it before I ordered my motive power bleeder lol. I just hope it's a bleeding issue and nothing else that I can't seem to find.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 19DB794
Thank you for the offer. I wish I saw it before I ordered my motive power bleeder lol. I just hope it's a bleeding issue and nothing else that I can't seem to find.

Ok, this is what I would do. This has worked for me when bleeding the system with new calipers. I recommend to have some pressure bleeder for this, it will make life easier...

Using the bleeding sequence, and having the fluid topped off the reservoir, start off with the first caliper. Before you begin pump the brakes a couple times with all the bleeder screws closed, and pressure bleeder de pressurized.. This will help push the caliper pistons in better than the pressure bleeder and will help get the bubbles out. After you push the pedal down a few times, go ahead and pressurize your power brake bleeder, proceed to bleed the first caliper until no bubbles come out and fluid is coming out nice and good. After you have bled through both bleeders in the correct sequence, move on to the second caliper in the order and do the same thing.... Pump the brakes a few times and repeat for all 4.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

I'm gonna have to give that a try tomorrow. I bled them yesterday with the motive power bleeder and there was a ton of air in the rear lines. It took about 40 oz's of fluid to get the air out completely it seemed but as soon as I was done, the brakes still felt the same way. This is starting to kick my *** lol. I couldn't find any leaks either. The brakes were perfect before I had them powdercoated so I can't think of anything that could be wrong with them. As I was looking around yesterday I also noticed my rear differential is leaking from the back plate where the liquid gasket can be seen. Things just seem to keep getting better.

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding issues