Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

hey MR, i got a suspension question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 06:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
hey MR, i got a suspension question

Okay, so I've just picked up an EVO (2006 SSL/GSR). From my reading unless you go with a high-end set of coil-overs the next best upgrade is a MR suspension---bang for buck and that is what would fit my needs. So at least I have progress that far.

I've done searching and have read a lot and now I am overly confused, so looking for clarity:

1) what is the difference between getting the suspension off of a (used of course) MR vs

2 https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ics-carol.html[/QUOTE]

One of these above. Are these the same as the stock suspension on the MR -- except brand new? I mean as far as the Struts go. As far as I understand the Springs are different than the stock springs.

Also, how can I run 9's as a daily driver...kidding on that part.

thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wings1833
Okay, so I've just picked up an EVO (2006 SSL/GSR). From my reading unless you go with a high-end set of coil-overs the next best upgrade is a MR suspension---bang for buck and that is what would fit my needs. So at least I have progress that far.

I've done searching and have read a lot and now I am overly confused, so looking for clarity:

1) what is the difference between getting the suspension off of a (used of course) MR vs

2 https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ics-carol.html

The Bilstein HD's are replacements for the original Bilstein MR's. Almost identical, very minor difference in valving, excellent choice and they are new.

Yes the GTWorx springs and Swift springs are stiffer than the original MR srpings. and will lower the vehicle. GTWorx lowers about 1/2 inch. The swift Spec-r about 1.4 inch in front and 0.6-8 inch in rear.Swift sports are between the 2 on lowering and spring rate

GTWorx rate = ~ 300 Swift Spec-r ~350f-375r Spec-r's ride a bit stiff on the street.

Stock MR/Bilstein will ride fairly soft as the spring rate is 180/225 f /r

There is always some risk in getting used parts. Go with which ever route you want

As far as longevity..im running the original stock Bilsteins on my 05 MR with ~88K. they have had uprated springs on for 83K of that. the last 30K on Swift Spec-r's :-)

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Sep 1, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wings1833

One of these above. Are these the same as the stock suspension on the MR -- except brand new? I mean as far as the Struts go. As far as I understand the Springs are different than the stock springs.
The stock springs, MR stock vs non-MR stock, should be identical, at least for any given model year. The only difference on the MR is the Bilstein shock/strut. I'm not sure if there were any variations in stock Evo spring rate year to year.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the clarity guys!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you decide to Go with MR Bilsteins. I have a mint set coming up for sale shortly.