Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Suspension Gurus Needed!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Suspension Gurus Needed!

Hey guys,

2014 is here and I'm looking to focus on suspension and safety mods this year. Currently the only modification done suspension wise would be my coilovers (Fortune Auto 500s). I know these aren't the best, waiting for these to go and then hopefully look into some ASTs or Robispecs down the road.

The car at the moment is too low and will be raised up this year. My goal for the evo this year to simple...get it to understeer less and oversteer more. I have the following planned and looking to grab some advice from you track and time attack gurus!

1. Whiteline Roll Center Kit
2. Whitline Bumpsteer Kit
3. Whiteline Steering Precision Kit
4. ACD Reflash

My question to you guys is, what else if anything would you add or take off that list to get the evo to corner better. Given it's current ride height, the car pushes a lot in the corners. Hoping the RCK and raising the ride height will help a bit with that.

Cheers,
Brendan
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Have you raised on the FA's yet? Buying new coilovers hoping they will magically fix issues is a waste of money to start with
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Have you raised on the FA's yet? Buying new coilovers hoping they will magically fix issues is a waste of money to start with
My mistake, might have written it in a confusing way, I meant once the fortune autos go I will replace them with a better set. In the meantime I'm looking to build off of what I currently have.

But no, I haven't raised the FAs yet, will do it once I accumulate more parts and need to get the car realigned.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 06:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
You should let us know what spring rates your running the FA's

Sounds like you may need a rear sway bar & maybe some spring rate which will help get the EVO to rotate
Old Jan 11, 2014, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BrendanS
Hey guys,

2014 is here and I'm looking to focus on suspension and safety mods this year. Currently the only modification done suspension wise would be my coilovers (Fortune Auto 500s). I know these aren't the best, waiting for these to go and then hopefully look into some ASTs or Robispecs down the road.

The car at the moment is too low and will be raised up this year. My goal for the evo this year to simple...get it to understeer less and oversteer more. I have the following planned and looking to grab some advice from you track and time attack gurus!

1. Whiteline Roll Center Kit
2. Whitline Bumpsteer Kit
3. Whiteline Steering Precision Kit
4. ACD Reflash

My question to you guys is, what else if anything would you add or take off that list to get the evo to corner better. Given it's current ride height, the car pushes a lot in the corners. Hoping the RCK and raising the ride height will help a bit with that.

Cheers,
Brendan
Skip the ACD Flash and go for the TRE Max lock rear diff rebuild. Night and day difference. Also check out the Perrin PSRS (offset version)... The other stuff looks right, need FSB and RSB too.

I just did all that plus running Ohlins and I put the car where I want, when I want it there.

Last edited by SWOLN; Jan 11, 2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Spring rates and swaybars?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
You should let us know what spring rates your running the FA's

Sounds like you may need a rear sway bar & maybe some spring rate which will help get the EVO to rotate
Running 10k/12k.
Originally Posted by SWOLN
Skip the ACD Flash and go for the TRE Max lock rear diff rebuild. Night and day difference. Also check out the Perrin PSRS (offset version)... The other stuff looks right, need FSB and RSB too.

I just did all that plus running Ohlins and I put the car where I want, when I want it there.
Wow definitely something to think about, on the fence about doing sways. If anything I will do all of the above with or without the ACD Flash/TRE Diff and see how it is. If it needs more I will probably look into sways.

Thank you though, got me reading into the TRE diff
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Spring rates and swaybars?
Stock sways and 10k/12k spring rates sir!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Stock rear diff? Have you at least realigned the plates according to spec?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A rear diff upgrade and ACD reflash will be a far greater benefit than the whiteline pieces you have listed. I would do the diffs, then the rest of your list.

When the question of correcting understeer comes up I have to ask this, is it the setup that is causing the understeer or is it the driver? Really analyze that before you begin making purchases.

Before I comment about the spring rates and sway bars, what tires are you running and their size?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Stock rear diff? Have you at least realigned the plates according to spec?
Completely stock, as in incorrect from factory stock haha.
Originally Posted by ReaperX
A rear diff upgrade and ACD reflash will be a far greater benefit than the whiteline pieces you have listed. I would do the diffs, then the rest of your list.

When the question of correcting understeer comes up I have to ask this, is it the setup that is causing the understeer or is it the driver? Really analyze that before you begin making purchases.
Before I comment about the spring rates and sway bars, what tires are you running and their size?
Setup mainly I would like to say, but I'm not saying I'm Ayrton Senna either. For wheel setup I was running 18x10 wheels with 275/35/18 Z1 star specs. Will most likely run the same tires as well this year.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 07:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
There's some good knowledge in here about understeer and how to counter it.

Trackable Evo - Sway Bar Upgrade
Old Jan 12, 2014, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BrendanS
Completely stock, as in incorrect from factory stock haha.
I would at the very least get that fixed first.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
There's some good knowledge in here about understeer and how to counter it.

Trackable Evo - Sway Bar Upgrade
Awesome thanks for the link!
Originally Posted by Raptord
I would at the very least get that fixed first.
Yeah, definitely looking to get the TRE Diff done for this summer now. Looks freaking awesome.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:49 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Check out this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-factory.html . Apparently Mitsu messed around with the rear diff to reduce warranty work but this can be corrected for a better working rear diff. If you dont upgrade it to a 12 plate setup as others in the thread have then the mod is basically free.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
FWIW, this is on an auto x car. You might just need to adjust your alignment.

I was on 10k/14k springs, restacked rear diff, RS front diff and my car was very loose. 275/35/18 NT01

Base alignment:
-2.5 camber up front
-1.5* in the back
Zero toe all around

It understeered until I cranked the front camber negative (which would also push it toe in). It was around -4* where it was very loose, tire wear was saying it was too much though.

-3.5 or so seemed like where it needed to be in the front and maybe a bit higher on the rear.

Quick Reply: Suspension Gurus Needed!