Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What to get with coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What to get with coilovers

Well I got my coilovers in today. Was wondering what else anyone thinks I should get with them?

I was thinking the roll center kit and maybe a rear sway bar.

Does the car have enough factory adjustments to dial in an alignment with it much lower than stock?

Car will be used for autox and drag every couple months.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed my center roll kit from white line (also have Megan Racing Coilovers) and front and rear sway bars. I would rec rear sway bar they will help provide a little more oversteer in the autox. As far the Alignment. I dropped about 2" in front and 1.75" rear. Factory camber adjustment allows for 1.0 - 1.5 degrees of adjusting total. So thats + or - .75 each way apx... My rear end alignment I was able to get within spec (barely). Fronts have the camber plates so that was no issue.

Have not road testing the center kit yet or performed the alignment yet.

I do my own Alignments BTW.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Huh? You're seeking advice as to what you should compliment your coilovers with, yet fail to mention what you currently have for modifications, the specs of your coilovers and your desired alignment ride height etc.

To answer your questions, or try to at least, the factory adjustments for the evo are pretty decent. Your new coilovers will probably come with pillowball mounts and if they do not I would recommend picking up a set for the front at least. This will allow for a lot more negative camber in the front. Between those and the factory ecenctrics the front alignment will be fine as you have a lot of toe adjustment as well with the tie rods.

In the rear however you only have so much adjustment depending on how low you go and how much camber you want where eventually you will not be able to zero out the toe.

If you want your car to handle well dont go stupid low. The whiteline RCCK will help but can only do so much.

Good luck and please provide more information and you should be able to get better feedback.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take care of all the bushings. Rear control arms, front control arm bushings (energy makes a set for the outer two, whiteline makes the balljoint w/ tie rod), get the trailing arm bushings taken care of as well. As soon as you remove all the slop from stock bushings, the car will be much more crisp, as it'll allow the coilovers to do their job better.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I agree on bushings. I'd recommend replacing every bushing in the chassis with Ralliart rubbers, including the differential mounts and the motor mounts. They will sharpen the car up massively.
If you slam it, definitely go with roll-center correction for the control arms and tie rods.