Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Anybody run Ohlins Stage 1 sports??

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2014, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody run Ohlins Stage 1 sports??

I talked to WORKS a while back and was told these were discontinued. I still see vendors having these on their website.

http://www.maperformance.com/ohlins-...i-evo-8-9.html

MAP put these on their website not too long ago it seems, so I guess they are still available
These seem like a good upgrade before stepping up to coilovers, although not the cheapest upgrade from the oem bilsteins. Anyone have feedback on these? Are these worth it or better off to pay a bit extra for the Road and Track c/o?
Old May 11, 2014, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Tommi....IIRC from back in the day the valving on these is better than the Bilsteins. they are not height adjustable at all so keep that in mind. Aslo IIRc the adjuster is on the bottom of the strut, not fun on the fronts but I could be wrong.. the adjustment is single only ( rebound IIRC ) Much like the Koni yellows although the valving might be better on the Ohlins.

It would be interesting to see what these did with the Swift spec-R Not sure that was done back in the day.
Old May 11, 2014, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
For $1900, you are only $600-$700 away from a set of Ohlins R&T. Also, if you don't have them already, a set of camber plates would add anywhere from $300 to $450 to the $1900 while the R&T's already come with front camber plates. Makes more sense to grab the coilovers, especially if you were going to get a set eventually. As you probably know, you would be a bit limited in spring choices (regarding spring rate, length, diameter) if you went with the Stage 1 package, the R&T would offer a lot more flexibility if you ever wanted to change your setup a bit.
Old May 11, 2014, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A used set of DFVs will be around the same price.....
I might have a set for sale .....actually I have them but I am not sure if they are sold or not...LOL
Old May 11, 2014, 05:57 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelrc51
A used set of DFVs will be around the same price.....
I might have a set for sale .....actually I have them but I am not sure if they are sold or not...LOL
Old May 11, 2014, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a set of the Sports that I've been meaning to sell for a few years now. WRC-LVR has it right, although my Ohlin DFV coilovers also have the adjuster on the bottom in the front (but in reality, the strut simply has the shock mounted inverted, from what I'm told, so it really is on the top...). WORKS was pretty secretive about the Ride spring rate at the time when I bought them. Anybody ever hear if they revealed that? Kind of like the JFK assassination files at this point - I think that info can safely be released. I plan on listing mine someday for $900. Pics are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/ejevo8...7609837842633/
Old May 11, 2014, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed once you add the cost of camber plates the price gets close to the Road and Tracks. But with the increased available adjustability comes the process of tuning and dialing it all in. The Stage 1 seems nice because its an improvement over the oem Bilstein or KYB , while still being a plug and play.

After a few years of tracking the evo with this setup, I feel like Im at the point where Im ready for something better than what my kyb/Robispec combo can provide, but not sure Im ready for something like JRZ or Motons.
The adjustability and fine tuning features are nice about coilovers, but not sure Im just quite ready to be messing around with that just yet. A top of the line fixed perch setup vs a basic level coilover is the way Im seeing the Stage1 ohlins compared to the Road and Tracks unless Im missing something.
Old May 12, 2014, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You might check with Ohlins regarding the valving to see what spring rate they can handle. they may also be rebuildable/or changeable to match new spring rates.

PS that reason you are putting out is one reason people like the bilstein/Swift Spec-r. No messing with it.
Old May 12, 2014, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
Agreed once you add the cost of camber plates the price gets close to the Road and Tracks. But with the increased available adjustability comes the process of tuning and dialing it all in. The Stage 1 seems nice because its an improvement over the oem Bilstein or KYB , while still being a plug and play.

After a few years of tracking the evo with this setup, I feel like Im at the point where Im ready for something better than what my kyb/Robispec combo can provide, but not sure Im ready for something like JRZ or Motons.
The adjustability and fine tuning features are nice about coilovers, but not sure Im just quite ready to be messing around with that just yet. A top of the line fixed perch setup vs a basic level coilover is the way Im seeing the Stage1 ohlins compared to the Road and Tracks unless Im missing something.

This Stage 1 package doesn't seem 100% plug-n-play, as you will still need to adjust the rebound settings to your liking

In addition, when you feel like you're ready to step up to coilovers, who would you sell the Stage 1 kit to? There doesn't seem to be much of a market for OEM-styled dampers besides dirt cheap KYBs and reasonably priced MR/HD Bilsteins. The only people I could see buying the dampers would be people looking for an edge in auto-x running in the B Street class. Not trying to shoot you down or anything, just a little devil's advocate
Old May 12, 2014, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim3142
This Stage 1 package doesn't seem 100% plug-n-play, as you will still need to adjust the rebound settings to your liking

In addition, when you feel like you're ready to step up to coilovers, who would you sell the Stage 1 kit to? There doesn't seem to be much of a market for OEM-styled dampers besides dirt cheap KYBs and reasonably priced MR/HD Bilsteins. The only people I could see buying the dampers would be people looking for an edge in auto-x running in the B Street class. Not trying to shoot you down or anything, just a little devil's advocate
hmmm. Ya that's a good point. Im gonna research these a bit more, but I think from what everyone is saying, it may be better to wait and step up to a coilover. It would suck to want more adjustability after investing nearly 2K.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim3142
There doesn't seem to be much of a market for OEM-styled dampers besides dirt cheap KYBs and reasonably priced MR/HD Bilsteins. The only people I could see buying the dampers would be people looking for an edge in auto-x running in the B Street class. Not trying to shoot you down or anything, just a little devil's advocate
SCCA Rally Cross rules allow for stock-style dampener replacement in the Stock class - not sure how the Ohlins would do on gravel but could be potential for some demand (especially considering that in 2013 - a different EVO won in every category at the Nationals event)