Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Low Speed Popping - Check Your Power Steering Lines!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Will do.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Happy to finally post - I don't know how it happened, but one of the power steering clamps was bent and totally loose - we straightened it back and tightened it down, noise gone! Well maybe 1% noise still there that I can chalk up to normal suspension noise, but no more physical knocking from the floorboard!!! That was it!!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 07:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Happy to finally post - I don't know how it happened, but one of the power steering clamps was bent and totally loose - we straightened it back and tightened it down, noise gone! Well maybe 1% noise still there that I can chalk up to normal suspension noise, but no more physical knocking from the floorboard!!! That was it!!
Always great when a clear answer is found.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

thanks - I'm hoping this helps others in the future that may have already tried fixing other suspension bits.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll post my experience here as well so it'll hopefully help someone as well.

I had recently replaced my struts and swapped springs onto my new to me Bilstein struts, and a few days after replacing the struts I began having a loud popping noise only when turning left. So I figured I messed up the spring swap, causing it to twist and that was my popping noise. I went ahead and dealt with it for a while, but then decided to go ahead and purchase some coilovers, swap went well no issues, drove around the block, and noise was still there!

Crap, where do I go from here...so I check the preload on the coilovers, all is good, so what could be my problem. So thinking it's the endlinks I go ahead and order a new set of those. Because during my coilover install I thought I was going to change my ball joints, and I had unbolted the endlinks so I thought maybe I damaged them when I did that and that was the noise I was experiencing.

Well, I logon to here, and found this thread, and noticed ppl were talking about the power steering line, and I was like no way is this loud popping noise coming from the tiny line that ppl are referring to.

So I go under the car a couple days ago, locate the power steering line that runs parallel with the front sway bar, and what do you know. One of the brackets the bolt holding it down was loose. On the other the bolt was completely missing. So I find a replacement bolt, put that on, and tighten the other bolt.

Now I take it for a drive, and noise has disappeared. I test it for a few days, and noise is still gone. So my problem was all because the power steering line was loose, just as others had the same problem.

I do get an occasional small pop, but hey it's way better than the everytime I made a left hand turn.

So advice, check your power steering line.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

^^ great to hear!! I get an occasional pop now and then still - the position of the line must be super sensitive. Did you determine what it's rubbing against? I *think* it's the FSB.

Otherwise ditto - before replacing stuff, check your P/S line!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 06RedRalli

So I go under the car a couple days ago, locate the power steering line that runs parallel with the front sway bar, and what do you know. One of the brackets the bolt holding it down was loose. On the other the bolt was completely missing. So I find a replacement bolt, put that on, and tighten the other bolt.

So advice, check your power steering line.
Do you know why the bolts came loose? Had you ever removed those brackets?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Do you know why the bolts came loose? Had you ever removed those brackets?
No idea why the bolts has loosed, and one gone missing. I've never replaced anything near that area, so my guess is they wiggled loose over time. And was a just a coincidence it started popping once the first set of struts were replaced...
Old Aug 29, 2016, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

**** this is all great news to hear. Haven't had a chance to get back under my car yet but I will definitely be doing it in the next few days.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 07:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 06RedRalli
No idea why the bolts has loosed, and one gone missing. I've never replaced anything near that area, so my guess is they wiggled loose over time. And was a just a coincidence it started popping once the first set of struts were replaced...
Sounds like it may be something that needs to be checked as part of routine long term maintenance.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Sounds like it may be something that needs to be checked as part of routine long term maintenance.
Out of all the things you'd THINK to check, who would've thought this lol.

I don't even know where the bracket attaches to. Curious how/what vibrations could cause this to happen but not anything else around it.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 01:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Out of all the things you'd THINK to check, who would've thought this lol.

I don't even know where the bracket attaches to. Curious how/what vibrations could cause this to happen but not anything else around it.
I'll probably check mine this weekend if I can find them.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

find where the back of your FSB is, and you'll see the silver PS line right next to it. you can see it from under the car without moving anything, and you can even move the PS line and the pass side bracket with a pry bar from under there
Old Aug 30, 2016, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
find where the back of your FSB is, and you'll see the silver PS line right next to it. you can see it from under the car without moving anything, and you can even move the PS line and the pass side bracket with a pry bar from under there
Sweet, thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I have been having a very similar issue, and noticed my power steering fluid was extremely low. Checked out my lines and found a nearly identical situation as yours.

Quick Reply: Low Speed Popping - Check Your Power Steering Lines!