Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Upgraded to Torque Solutions rear diff bushings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Upgraded to Torque Solutions rear diff bushings

Also did the Mustache Bar. Discovered the previous owner had the Whiteline rear diff bushings installed. He never told me. So maybe wasted money, but the drive train feels much tighter, and my rear diff whine is gone. Soooo, that's cool. I thought for the longest time my transfer case was going, or my fuel pump.

Anyway, that's a long winded way of saying these bushings are awesome.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 03:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Hmm. Usually if you have diff whine, the poly bushings make it worse.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Hmm. Usually if you have diff whine, the poly bushings make it worse.
That's what I was preparing for. I'm just as stumped, but happy.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 05:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts
Are the Torque Solutions bushes harder or softer than the Whitelines? The reason I ask is that I am about to update to Torque Solutions for Diff carrier and mustache bar from stock and don't want crazy whine!

Last edited by CDrinkH2O; Oct 29, 2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
I installed a energy suspension kit on my diff and now hear a diff whine. Im assuming the solid bushings allow it to travel now.

Never heared any diff noise
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
off topic but I noticed a lot of sf local ppl in this thread
aamoedo do you plan on replacing anymore bushings in the future? Putting together a list myself, trying to decide on the br mustache or just the bushings still.. big price diff esp with the mounts
Old Nov 5, 2016, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by krisdlm
off topic but I noticed a lot of sf local ppl in this thread
aamoedo do you plan on replacing anymore bushings in the future? Putting together a list myself, trying to decide on the br mustache or just the bushings still.. big price diff esp with the mounts
I wasn't dying to shave weight, so I just did the bushings. The next thing I do to the suspension will be the Whiteline roll center kit, but I'm not in a hurry. The most abuse my car sees is spirited drives.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The whine from the rear diff after doing the bushings is driving me nuts. My car makes 700hp so its good to have to handle the power but whenever I DD it to work it annoys the s**t out me. Did anyone try just removing the rear diff energy suspension bushing but leave the mustache bar bushing in? I'm contemplating it to see if it helps. I don't see any other fix for the noise and the stockers are so sloppy.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 08:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If the whine is that bad with just bushing (not a mustache bar delete), it's likely that you need a to replace the ring and pinion gear. Mine is pretty quite since TRE replaced the gear set in my diff.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If the whine is that bad with just bushing (not a mustache bar delete), it's likely that you need a to replace the ring and pinion gear. Mine is pretty quite since TRE replaced the gear set in my diff.
Are you absolutely sure? I have sat in a stock Evo with just the rear diff bushings replaced and the whine is loud. Then when the owner switched back to stock bushings the whine was gone.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did mustache bar and rear diff bushings as well. The oem ones were toast, which was the reason I was getting the clunk at hard shifts.
Surprisingly, I did not hear any appreciable increase in whine. I used torque solutions bushings. I'm also bay area local, lol.
Rear diff bushing/ mustache bar anonymous meet, ...anyone?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:05 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
Are you absolutely sure? I have sat in a stock Evo with just the rear diff bushings replaced and the whine is loud. Then when the owner switched back to stock bushings the whine was gone.
I have poly bushings on my rear diff. TRE rebuilt the diff and it whines as much now as before. I only hear it on decel, though.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I have poly bushings on my rear diff. TRE rebuilt the diff and it whines as much now as before. I only hear it on decel, though.
My TRE rear diff has more whine compared to stock. The most noticeable is when I am decelerating from 40-60mph. I do have almost all poly bushings so I'll blame that. Been like that since mile 1 of the rebuild and have probably about 3k miles on it.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 09:18 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
My TRE rear diff has more whine compared to stock. The most noticeable is when I am decelerating from 40-60mph. I do have almost all poly bushings so I'll blame that. Been like that since mile 1 of the rebuild and have probably about 3k miles on it.
Yep. The day I put in my bushings = whiiiiine.

No interior definitely doesn't help.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you guys think if I go back to stock bushing on the diff but leave the energy suspension bushing on the mustache bar it will keep the clunk away? Maybe ill put stock bushing on the top of the diff that mates to the car and leave all the rest energy suspension?

Quick Reply: Upgraded to Torque Solutions rear diff bushings