Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New Ball Joints and bushings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New Ball Joints and bushings

Hi friends! I am in the process of repairing some bad rust on the rear frame of my IX and I have the rear end completely torn apart. While I am in there I figured I would replace some suspension parts and bushings. Any suggestions on what to get. We mostly spiritedly DD the car. Thank you.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I just went through the same thing. While everything was out I had every bushing replaced with Whiteline bushings and replaced all of the ball joints with the replacements from Hardrace. The ball joints ran me around $300 shipped. All of the other bushings together was a few hundred as well. My gas filler tube was getting tender so I did that while it was easy access as well. That piece was around $120. I replaced all of the hardware as well for safety measures since 2 of the subframe bolts snapped anyways during removal.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWDPowah
I just went through the same thing. While everything was out I had every bushing replaced with Whiteline bushings and replaced all of the ball joints with the replacements from Hardrace. The ball joints ran me around $300 shipped. All of the other bushings together was a few hundred as well. My gas filler tube was getting tender so I did that while it was easy access as well. That piece was around $120. I replaced all of the hardware as well for safety measures since 2 of the subframe bolts snapped anyways during removal.
AWDPowah I cannot explain to you how comforting it is to read about your struggles. I have been fighting this car and the rust that has ATTACKED the bolts. So far I have snapped no less than 9 bolts. I still have to cut the sub frame off to remove the bolt holding it in place. The sub frame is toast from the LCA connection becoming ob longed.

Any special methods to extract the broken bolts? Are the Whiteline bushings poly's or rubber?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah it's pretty crazy that these cars are under recall for front subframe and not the rear. Everyone I've talked to with subframe/rust issues has had it in the rear and not the front. My front subframe is still fairly clean but I will have the recall done anyways just to have that front section as clean as the rear. When I had my repair work done I had them do a little extra just so I wouldn't have to worry later down the line. Here are some pics.

As for the broken bolts I couldn't tell you how they did it exactly but if I had to guess I would say they might have welded a nut on the broken bolt stud and extracted it that way since they did end up using new OEM suframe bolts. I don't know if that would have been possible using a tap and die set. The whiteline bushings are poly.

I have tons more pics if you want to see something more specific. Just ask and I'll see what I can dig up.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWDPowah
Yeah it's pretty crazy that these cars are under recall for front subframe and not the rear. Everyone I've talked to with subframe/rust issues has had it in the rear and not the front. My front subframe is still fairly clean but I will have the recall done anyways just to have that front section as clean as the rear. When I had my repair work done I had them do a little extra just so I wouldn't have to worry later down the line. Here are some pics.

As for the broken bolts I couldn't tell you how they did it exactly but if I had to guess I would say they might have welded a nut on the broken bolt stud and extracted it that way since they did end up using new OEM suframe bolts. I don't know if that would have been possible using a tap and die set. The whiteline bushings are poly.

I have tons more pics if you want to see something more specific. Just ask and I'll see what I can dig up.
Did the shop have any problems pressing in out out the new ball joints or bushings due to the arms being aluminum?

By the looks of the pictures did the shop weld in a new frame rail?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

They used a hydraulic press to press the ball joints and bushings out without issue.

They welded in a new frame rail on both sides, the full length 2 piece on the passengers side and just the section that's parallel to the spare tire well on the drivers side.