Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Making the best of the OEM Brembo's for track?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 07:26 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
PF 2-piece rotors here, Castrol SRF fluid and Hawk DTC-60/70 pads with ducting and titanium shims. About 350 whp. I don’t bleed the fluid all season and after I change it. Have never boiled the SRF. Rotors last 20+ days. Pads last around 4-5 days before they are getting low. I don’t like to run them down to the backing plates. Not worth the worry to me of running out of brakes, plus the heat transfer to the fluid will be more as the pads get thin. I’m planning to try the ST43 pads since I’ve heard so many good things about their longevity.
I've used both pads and really, REALLY like the ST43 over the Hawks. Both seemed to last full sessions without fading, I just feel I can modulate the Raybestos pads a bit better.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 07:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 579 Likes on 434 Posts
I'm on DTC 70s right now as well, Centric high carbon blanks (until I can free up some cash to replace my DBA 5000 rings), Motul RBF600, Ti shims, 2" ducts. I really like how the 70s feel but I'm not a fan of how expensive they are and how corrosive their dust is, They pretty much destroyed the finish on one of my sets of wheels. I've got a set of Carbotech XP10/8 that's going on after the Hawks are done but after I'm through the Carbotechs I think I'm going to give the ST43 a try as well.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 08:15 PM
kaj

Carbotech makes an excellent pad, I just can't afford them. LOL. They wear well (and the they tend to wear at the pad, as opposed to the rotor) and don't seem to dust much. What dust there is seems to corrode less than most pads.
This is all based on a friend that used them, exclusively, for a number of years. I've heard nothing but excellent things about them.
If I had the cash, I'd be running them.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Sounds like you are still HPDEing so the brembos will be just fine. For now it sounds like you need a good pad, better fluid and rotors. Long term when you stop riding the brakes so much (I still do it too ) you'll want to look into the ti shims, air guides/ducts and other tricks to help with the heat.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 09:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Carbotech makes an excellent pad, I just can't afford them. LOL. They wear well (and the they tend to wear at the pad, as opposed to the rotor) and don't seem to dust much. What dust there is seems to corrode less than most pads.
This is all based on a friend that used them, exclusively, for a number of years. I've heard nothing but excellent things about them.
If I had the cash, I'd be running them.
Glad to hear that, I could use less dust in my life lol. My only concern was if the XP8 won't be enough pad for the rear of the car. Running a staggered compound compared to my "square" compound now is definitely going to change braking bias.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:59 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Glad to hear that, I could use less dust in my life lol. My only concern was if the XP8 won't be enough pad for the rear of the car. Running a staggered compound compared to my "square" compound now is definitely going to change braking bias.
From what I can tell from the wear and characteristics of my car, we use very little rear pad. I would imagine going "heavier" in front would be a good thing.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
The ST43's and ST47's are the best pads I have ever used in my 15+ years of tracking.

I currently use ST47 front and ST43's rear. The ST47's are by far the best pads I have used and they last forever (just like the 43's)

I've used the rear 43's for about six events now and they still look brand new. They barely show any wear.

FYI, the ST43's in the rear are LOUD AS HELL. I can drive the car to events with the ST47's installed up front with no noise but I have to swap the rear 43's in at track or I go crazy to/from the event.

Here are what my 43's in the rear sound like on track:

Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:16 AM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by codgi
Sounds like you are still HPDEing so the brembos will be just fine. For now it sounds like you need a good pad, better fluid and rotors. Long term when you stop riding the brakes so much (I still do it too ) you'll want to look into the ti shims, air guides/ducts and other tricks to help with the heat.
I agree that I must be riding the brakes too much given my lack of experience. I'm going to look into the PF rotors, SS pistons and shims. I thought about moving to an 18" setup and running the X brakes but I think that's jumping ahead and just need to continue to work with what I have for now and continue to try and learn how to be a smoother driver.

I've been running on stock suspension this whole time and I finally am upgrading to KW's for the next event so I am looking forward to see how much of a difference it helps. I wanted to wait longer before moving to an adjustable suspension but we are for the second time having to pull the front upper spring cap to weld since it's cracking AGAIN so we figured it's maybe time to upgrade.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
U definitely shouldn't have to bleed your brakes that often, that's cray.

I use to use ST43's but I switched to DTC60's (with Hawk HP+ out back) and prefer them now. You can modulate the ST's more, but the initial bite of the Hawks is superior IMO. I use Centric high-carbons and AMSoil DOT4 with Ti shims (a must), and I've never boiled my fluid. Pads faded at Pocono once, but it was a weird layout where they went from dead cold to torturing them the second half of the lap. 300whp/3300lbs
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
The ST43's and ST47's are the best pads I have ever used in my 15+ years of tracking.

I currently use ST47 front and ST43's rear. The ST47's are by far the best pads I have used and they last forever (just like the 43's)

I've used the rear 43's for about six events now and they still look brand new. They barely show any wear.

FYI, the ST43's in the rear are LOUD AS HELL. I can drive the car to events with the ST47's installed up front with no noise but I have to swap the rear 43's in at track or I go crazy to/from the event.

Here are what my 43's in the rear sound like on track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNvRSRYpJh0
My hawks get kinda of squeaky once they're hot but definitely not that bad. I'm curious to see how the carbotechs do.

Side note, what are you using for data acq? I really like how it's formatted in that video.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Track pads should go quiet when hot
Old Apr 27, 2018, 05:00 PM
kaj

My ST43s are LOUD when coming to a stop in traffic. They still squeal on the track, but either not as bad, since I'm going faster.. or the rest of the race car noises cover it up
Old Apr 27, 2018, 05:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I barely use the brakes on the street with the DTCs since the pads sound like concrete against the rotors when cold. I approach stops slowly to minimize the damage until I get to the track. Between track events I put on more street-friendly pads (DS2500s).
Old Apr 27, 2018, 05:43 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I barely use the brakes on the street with the DTCs since the pads sound like concrete against the rotors when cold. I approach stops slowly to minimize the damage until I get to the track. Between track events I put on more street-friendly pads (DS2500s).
I went one step further and bought a daily driver. No more swapping brakes.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 05:50 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by yip
SS pistons and shims.
I just read on Racingbrake's site that they recommends not using shims with the SS pistons (not needed). So you may be able to get by without.

Our pistons also have vents to further prevent heat transfer to fluid, allow you to run your brake system at lower temperature which means less replacement on brake fluid, and eliminate the use of titanium shims saving you down time, operating and maintenance cost.

If you are hard on brake and have been looking to improve your overall braking efficiency, and tired of replacing brake fluid and don't like the soft pedal due to the use of heat shield Titanium shims, look no more!

Quick Reply: Making the best of the OEM Brembo's for track?