Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear trailing arm ball joint

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Rear trailing arm ball joint

I swapped out my diff and used the method that requires the removal do the rear trailing arm ball joint. Now I got the diff installed but when it was time to bolt the trailing arm ball joint to the knuckel, the ball joint is free spinning and not allowing me to tighten it up. I don’t see a location to put a wrench to prevent spinning while tighten up.

Is is there a trick to get it to stop spinning or is the joint trashed and needs to be replaced?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Have you tried the following
1) tapping it home with a soft faced mallet so that the taper grips?
2) using a non locking nut to get it taper home then fitting the self locking nut after (1st removing the non locking nut) . Note the 1st nut needs to be "free" spinning on the ball joint threads so it doesn't try to spin the balljoint .
Combo of the two above?
If you can get a jack under the ball joint you could use that to push the taper home, this depends on ball joint location /orientation as to if feasible.
Also if the ball joint threads are damaged then these will need to be "cleaned or re-cut" to allow the nut to spin without jamming.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

I'll try that, thanks
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Ive ran into that issue as well and generally using a jack to force it in there along with an impact and I can usually get it to zip on. Without air tools you might have a bad time.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I use a ratchet strap on the upper arm to pull it up and put pressure on it. A jack would work as well, just make sure not to unsettle the car and have it fall off the jack stands with you under it.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks fellas!

I'll try that once i receive my replacement(boot ripped while separating from knuckle).