Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Fabricating chassis braces

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any interest in doing a custom chassis brace that has a series of threaded bosses for undertray/splitter rear mount points?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Lol I don’t have undertray or splitter. I was just doing these for the hell of it.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by nor11384
Well braces are painted. They came out dope. I will post here in the next day or so when rain calms. Let’s see if they do anything. I’m thinking of selling the center brace (square one). I want to do something different. Anyone interested?
I’m curious to see how the fender braces look and perform. I have a set of the Nagisa braces I snatched up used on eBay for a killer deal. Most the knowledge/data from this forum is the fender braces are the only “bracing” that helps the car.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah that seems to be the believe. Fender braces are the ones that make a difference. I won’t be able to tell for sure since I made all of them and put them on at once. I tell you what, I’m sure the rest of these braces won’t hurt. I believe they will be of some help. As I said before, I could hear the chassis creaking when I installed and tightened up the bolts on the small under body ones. I’m sure it will help stiffen it up specially since one of them ties the chassis to subframe.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by nor11384
Yeah that seems to be the believe. Fender braces are the ones that make a difference. I won’t be able to tell for sure since I made all of them and put them on at once. I tell you what, I’m sure the rest of these braces won’t hurt. I believe they will be of some help. As I said before, I could hear the chassis creaking when I installed and tightened up the bolts on the small under body ones. I’m sure it will help stiffen it up specially since one of them ties the chassis to subframe.
for sure, post up some better shots of everything when possible.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a sneak peak at the brackets. Im waiting for paint to dry so i can install it on the car. I will post pictures. These pictures were taken as i was making them so in some of these they are very crude and still hadnt trimmed the brackets etc. Let me know what you guys think.

Old Jan 23, 2019, 04:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
This has all the markings of a "group buy"
Old Jan 23, 2019, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Thx man! Well, this is not what I do but if there’s enough interest I’ll make some extra sets as a side thing. Tell you what, they are sturdy as hell. They bolt up to 4 different places. I’m thinking of making a power brace next just for the hell of it but I don’t have a tube bender and well tired of the car sitting. Let’s see. Only thing that makes me want to do it is that I have the ets 4” ic which is too big for the braces they sell. I’d like to do it for the challenge of making it fit lol.

Last edited by nor11384; Jan 23, 2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

All right here are the pics of it installed. I jacked the car up and now it stays steady which is perfect. The front no longer moves so it proves these fender braces work. Im thinking of making a couple of sets. Maybe a white set and a black set to sell. Im thinking around $220 shipped with hardware and everything included. Let me know what you guys think and if anyone is interested.

Old Jan 24, 2019, 04:19 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
These work. I got a set off eBay and could tell the difference when lifting the car.
I'd be down for some in Cro-Mo or aluminum (if alum would hold up to the torsion without cracking).
Old Jan 24, 2019, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Oh i tested it man. I looked at the same line that i posted earlier in the post and now with the braces installed it would not move. Im shocked as to how much the front was flexing before. Ill take pics tomorrow with the car jacked up. Thing with aluminum is that it has to be around 30% thicker than steel or so to be as strong (dont quote me on the numbers). Theres not alot of space inside those fenders to fit. I think for the fender braces the stronger the material the better. If titanium wasnt so expensive i would love to make a set out of that. What i like about these is that they tie into 4 points. The braces out there either tie into 3 points or im just not satisfied with the design. Example the nagisas are really cool but i wish there was an extra vertical bar in the back. I feel these need to have support on the back also (ex a triangle). Idk thats just me.

Last edited by nor11384; Jan 24, 2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 08:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Will there be a group buy for members on here? Just saw them listed on Facebook as well, so was just wondering!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 09:27 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I was also
​​​​told fender braces = no need for strut tower brace. If true, that makes working on the car a lot more enjoyable.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

For sure. You know my Evom brothers will get a chance at them. Honestly guys I never thought there would be so much interest. I’m blown away. Lol. I liked them so much I figured I’d offer it to the evo guys and make some extra money. I’m doing this on the side so just remember not a big shop pumping these out like crazy. I will defenetly make a couple of batches. What sux is I haven’t made a jig so I will be using my car as a guinea pig for the first couple of batches lol. That means it will sit there looking sad with no fenders.
The following users liked this post:
huzzle101 (Jan 25, 2019)
Old Jan 25, 2019, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Engineering Info for you, Aluminum is basically 1/3 both weight and stiffness of Steel. Different varieties give different ultimate strength but stiffness is pretty well constant for all flavors.

In tention/compression, you only have a linear relationship between stiffness and area. So if you go 1/3rd lighter for aluminum, you'd need 3x the area for same stiffness and would then of course have the same weight.

The more interesting thing would be to find how minimally they can be made with either material since over building is just adding weight. Now that's a proper engineering problem.