Best wheel width for 265/35R18? - Page 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best wheel width for 265/35R18?

Old Jan 18, 2019, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

9.5" or 10" wide wheel is what you want.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 02:24 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

O'l Crankwalker came here looking for some simple 18 x 9 +35 advice & certainly got tangled up w/our aggressive fitment guys

Now he's staring the down barrel at 9.5" to 10" pulling rear fenders & the like

Down the Rabbit Hole

Hang in there. Specing the right W/T for your appetite is a hard decision
Old Jan 18, 2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
O'l Crankwalker came here looking for some simple 18 x 9 +35 advice & certainly got tangled up w/our aggressive fitment guys

Now he's staring the down barrel at 9.5" to 10" pulling rear fenders & the like

Down the Rabbit Hole

Hang in there. Specing the right W/T for your appetite is a hard decision
Ain't that the damn truth!! I thought this was gonna be a simple yes or no it'll fit. Now I'm questioning everything I thought I knew! Haha but it's all good! I appreciate all the advice and help! I did happen to call a couple shops and ask for some advice Muellerized did suggest the 18x9.5 +35 wheel as well but didn't say wether or not I would need a spacer to clear. Road Race just told me to get out there and drive the damn car, learn how to drive and not to worry about exspensive wheels and big tires... Soo I'm thinking now, maybe buy the 18x9 +32 for the street and track my stock wheels or cheaper set of 17x9 wheels with 255/40s...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

I would definitely agree you're over thinking it here. Needing a spacer is NBD. 9" +32 will be just fine in the rear, if the front is a little tight on the inside then add a spacer.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 04:00 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
Originally Posted by Crankwalker View Post
Ain't that the damn truth!! I thought this was gonna be a simple yes or no it'll fit. Now I'm questioning everything I thought I knew!
The question was about tire fitment, for which there are a lot of variables. If you wanted to know about an 18x9 wheel, that would have been a lot easier. Without knowing how that particular tire fits a 9 or 9.5, it's hard to say.

Spacers depend on wheel design. I ran 20mm bolt-on spacers for about two or three years. They held up fine for HPDE and AutoX. I recently put ARP studs up front and knocked the studs out of the spacers. That was for piece of mind because I'm not sure I trust the studs on the spacers. Either way, I haven't found a problem with spacers and I think I remember lots of people in motorsports using them.

Wheels and tires are useful if you feel you have found the limits of the smaller stuff. I.E. I turned a "decent" lap time at Laguna Seca with 235 R-S4s and I'd consider myself a mediocre driver, so you can still have fun even on stuck stuff! On the other hand, If you you are to the point of needing wheels and tires, they will help a lot.

TLDR with a .5" difference, I'm sure you will be fine either way, unless you have a really sensitive butt.

Originally Posted by Dallas J View Post
I would definitely agree you're over thinking it here. Needing a spacer is NBD. 9" +32 will be just fine in the rear, if the front is a little tight on the inside then add a spacer.
BOOM.

Last edited by kaj; Jan 18, 2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

If my fenders weren't already pulled when I got the car then I would have known when to stop.

But you see, people like Dallas are Pennywise and your fenders are the sewers. This might look fun from further away, but once you get close you'll see the paint chips and fender liners with huge scary holes in them. We all angle grind down here.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 05:15 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Name User View Post
If my fenders weren't already pulled when I got the car then I would have known when to stop.

But you see, people like Dallas are Pennywise and your fenders are the sewers. This might look fun from further away, but once you get close you'll see the paint chips and fender liners with huge scary holes in them. We all angle grind down here.
truth.

My fender liners are held in with zip ties because the front of them is pretty much gooooooooooooone.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

265s on 18x10 is possible without mutilating the fenders. I even run fender liners without any issues on our bumpy autocross lots. 18x10" requires fine tuning the offset, caster, and camber to make sure everything actually fits, though.

I'd recommend 18x9.5" if you want an easier fitment. Go 18x10" if you want every last bit of performance and you're okay with some extra fine-tuning of the spacers, alignment, caster, and maybe the fender lip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.