Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Custom Coilover Camber Plate Options?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 08:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Custom Coilover Camber Plate Options?

Does any one offer custom color options for coilover camber plates? I thought FA might have done this but I can't seem to find the thread/post where I saw people talking about this. Someone mentioned that they were wondering why more companies didn't do this because there are a lot of us out there that are OCD and prefer having everything matching on the car. When you're trying to get the BOV, Valvecover, and WG to all match, you may end up with coilover camber plates that are green, purple, orange, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old May 3, 2019, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
You could always just strip them and then Anodize them whichever color you’d like.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by GSX_TO_EVO
You could always just strip them and then Anodize them whichever color you’d like.
That's definitely an option but if I could just order them in the color I want, that would be easiest.
Old May 6, 2019, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Lejit
That's definitely an option but if I could just order them in the color I want, that would be easiest.
That's debatable. Sometimes it's tough to get a good match.
Best bet is to have all the parts anodized at the same time/same place to get it all to match, otherwise you may wish you had just done it that way in the first place. I suppose it depends on the definition of "match".
Old May 7, 2019, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Apex Hunter
That's debatable. Sometimes it's tough to get a good match.
Best bet is to have all the parts anodized at the same time/same place to get it all to match, otherwise you may wish you had just done it that way in the first place. I suppose it depends on the definition of "match".
More or less what i'm looking for is something subtle like a black camber plate. I just don't want to buy a set of coilovers based off the color. I also don't want to buy a set of coilovers and have to have them re-anodized if I can just order them the way I want. I just cant seem to remember where I saw the thread talking about a company offering different color options.
Old May 7, 2019, 08:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Lejit
More or less what i'm looking for is something subtle like a black camber plate. I just don't want to buy a set of coilovers based off the color. I also don't want to buy a set of coilovers and have to have them re-anodized if I can just order them the way I want. I just cant seem to remember where I saw the thread talking about a company offering different color options.
@2Lejit Consider the DYI anodizing. Ive researched it on YT & it is very doable w/excellent results
Old May 7, 2019, 09:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You'll find it very difficult to color match. Anodizing color can very batch to batch if the same company isn't doing it as they may have slightly different dyes or they may add a slightly different amount.

If you just want black, just order the coils of your choice, and send the plates out for anodizing. Idk of any coilover company that offers customs colors. You could also have them powdercoated.
Old May 7, 2019, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
@2Lejit Consider the DYI anodizing. Ive researched it on YT & it is very doable w/excellent results
I'll look into this and see what it's all about. A friend of mine did it a few years back on some parts for his Evo. Looked pretty interesting actually.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You'll find it very difficult to color match. Anodizing color can very batch to batch if the same company isn't doing it as they may have slightly different dyes or they may add a slightly different amount.

If you just want black, just order the coils of your choice, and send the plates out for anodizing. Idk of any coilover company that offers customs colors. You could also have them powdercoated.
May be what I have to do because I definitely cannot find where it was talked about. It may have been something on Facebook. I don't know.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You started this thread 4 days ago. Someone could have already powder coated or re-anodized the top plates from whatever coilovers you buy...
Old May 7, 2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You started this thread 4 days ago. Someone could have already powder coated or re-anodized the top plates from whatever coilovers you buy...
In a perfect world yeah I'm sure I could have, but my free time is limited due to work, kids, side work, multiple projects, etc etc. I'm not an 18 year old kid that just conned his parents into buying him an Evo, with all the time in the world to mess with it. Lol. If having a color option for the camber plates isn't available, then I'll have to resort to having them anodized. The whole reason I asked is because this IS something that I saw a discussion about, but can't rememeber where.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Any of the good shops that do anodizing have min orders. The place I use use to be $90 for typeII ano and $130 for bright dip, now its $120 and $160. So if you want something from me and want it a special color, you'd have to pony up the difference to cover the full batch cost. Thats probably why you wont see much offer of any color at any time.

And even if they had smaller min orders, they are then likely a smaller shop with less options and will have greater variability in their finish. Even my parts Ive had to very specifically call out certain requirements to get the parts now where I want them. And I've done enough business they'll reject and refinish the parts that arent right. But its taken spending a lot of money with them to get them to even care.

Your best bet, get your own powdercoating oven and some eastwood powder gear and learn to do your stuff yourself. The sad truth is that no one is going to care about the quality of your parts more than you.