Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Suspension Refresh, question though..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Always torque at ride height if possible. Option B is jack up the hub until it's roughly at ride height and then torque.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think the bushings are pre-loaded as I torqued everything up while it was on jack stands, this would explain why the rear is really bouncy now. I wanted to torque everything down at ride height but it seemed impossible since the car sits so low, I don't have ramps or access to a lift.

This is a great idea, never thought about it. I think what I will do is measure the center of the hub to the fender at ride height. Then put the car on jack stands, push the hub up with a jack so the distance from center hub to fender is the same, loosen all the control arm bolts and re-torque to factory specs. Does this sound about right based on your recommendation?

Last edited by u189961; Jul 15, 2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Yea that'll work just fine.

I will say though what you're experiencing is most likely not from preload on the bushings but it's a good idea to eliminate it anyway.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:14 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Yea that'll work just fine.

I will say though what you're experiencing is most likely not from preload on the bushings but it's a good idea to eliminate it anyway.
+1 if you leave the bushings pre-loaded they will fail early.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by u189961
I was not able to replace the front upper control arm bushing with the dogbone, I just couldn't get enough leverage on the arm as there is not a lot of material in that area and didn't want to bend the arm. That particular bushing seemed fine, it had no play whatsoever and it appeared to be bonded to the arm. I may revisit this and get it done, I think I might need to torch it off.
Yep, had to burn mine out.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
I was able to press my front bushing out on the upper arm, just need to fine the right size tube for it. Definitely one of the less fun ones to replace for sure.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 07:28 AM

Always torque at ride height if possible. Option B is jack up the hub until it's roughly at ride height and then torque.
I was able to re-torque everything down at ride height with your suggestion, it worked great! I measured 13 inches from center hub to fender so I matched that up with the car in the air, was kind of scary having the car that high in the air but I threw the tire under the car and added 2 additional jack stands for safety lol. The car feels a lot better and not as bouncy in the rear!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 07:52 AM

I also noticed the rear passenger OEM strut leaking. I may need to replace sooner than anticipated. For now, my car is my daily and on average doing about 2-3 track days a year. I am currently on swift springs, whiteline rear sway bar, whiteline front RCK, all new bushings and new ball joints all the way around (fronts will be completed this weekend). What are your thoughts on the following?

Ohlin's Road and Track - I originally planned on going with these sometime before end of year, yes they are expensive but I'm sure worth it. How long can you daily these before having to service them? What is the average cost to have them serviced when the time comes? Would these be overkill for my needs?

Bilstein B6 - I read good things about these and a lot of people running these based on my reading. How do they handle for daily and track duty?

Bilstein B8 - Valving should be the same as the B6 but these are supposed to be for cars running springs where the car is lowered. I was not able to find too much information on these.

I am trying to get feedback based on my needs and I don't have any experience with the above. I worked out the math and going with Bilstein struts would be about $1000 cheaper. I can use that $1000 towards by next phase which would be a motor build. Thanks for any feedback!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 08:43 AM

Whiteline RCK, Superpro front bushing and Superpro spherical rear bushing in! I was able to finish the front this Saturday, not nearly as time consuming as the rear. The toe was way off after the install so I did a quick alignment until my performance alignment appointment this Wednesday.

On Sunday, I fixed a mistake I made when I was working on the rear. The weekend before last when reinstalling the rear driver upper control arm, like an idiot I started the bolt that goes through the dogbone in the front bushing with my impact gun and messed up the thread. I tried forcing the bolt in by hand and it ended up snapping. So I drilled it out, tapped new threads and replaced the bolt with an OEM one. Since the upper control arm was off, I decided to try again at replacing the front upper control arm bushing since it was giving me a hard time. I sourced a sleeve of the correct diameter to support the arm and worked great. I was able to press out the old bushing and press a new Superpro in. I went ahead and did the other upper control arm bushing.

Happy to know I was able to do all the bushings and ball joints and it saved me quite a bit of money, now I know why labor was so costly as it was time consuming. The car feels really nice now, before it felt sloppy and loose. Now it feels like its on rails. I haven't really hit some corners since I'm waiting for my alignment but will report back once that is done. Now I can resume my regular weekends as the last two were spent working on the car lol.

Last edited by u189961; Jul 22, 2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 08:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Excellent update. Great to hear you worked it all out!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I certainly would never recommend the rear bumpsteer bushing. That design is just a massive pile of dung. Theres nothing to clock it and as you adjusts toe, it also turns away from where you're trying to move the toe. So you need to make sure its clocked right and only adjust toe with tire in the air (unloaded) and even then you cant actually verify if the bushing has moved.

On top of that, it might as well be zero adjustment. The offset is so small that the actual effect on bumps steer is just about nill.

So since its basically useless but makes toe adjustment worse, 100% dont bother.

For the WL RCK, its only 5mm of adjustment so in normal WL fashion the name implies more than the result effects. But, it is a good joint so if your's are bad/old/worn, its a bit of a spendy replacement but a fine joint that should last well enough. If you add caster with the lower control arm rear bushing or strut top caster plate, use the OEM tie rod and not the WL part in their kit. Adding caster increase bumpsteer (moves relative position of steering pivot and lower ball joint). Using the OEM tie rod counters that at least a bit being 5mm shorter than the WL tie rod.
Glad I read this, I recently did all my bushings as well except for the rear bumpsteer and couldn't make up my mind whether to do it or not. Guess I'll be skipping that one. Still need to get some offset plates made for that caster!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Glad I read this, I recently did all my bushings as well except for the rear bumpsteer and couldn't make up my mind whether to do it or not. Guess I'll be skipping that one. Still need to get some offset plates made for that caster!
Same here! Glad Dallas J pointed this out as well. I ended up replacing it with the non-offset one from Superpro, the old OEM one had some play in it.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 02:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
I'm selling the Ohlins R/T you need at https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/market/754944

The service interval for hard daily driving is around 20k. The bushes are side loaded in a MacPherson strut design and they eventually wear and start clunking. You can rotate the uppers to even out the bush wear. Cost to refresh to as new condition .... see my ad!

Last edited by CDrinkH2O; Jul 30, 2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
For the WL RCK, its only 5mm of adjustment so in normal WL fashion the name implies more than the result effects. But, it is a good joint so if your's are bad/old/worn, its a bit of a spendy replacement but a fine joint that should last well enough. If you add caster with the lower control arm rear bushing or strut top caster plate, use the OEM tie rod and not the WL part in their kit. Adding caster increase bumpsteer (moves relative position of steering pivot and lower ball joint). Using the OEM tie rod counters that at least a bit being 5mm shorter than the WL tie rod.
So since I have your camber/caster plates with the caster bushing on the lower control arm rear bushing, should I not use whiteline tie rods? I noticed when cornering, if I hit a little bump I get pretty bad bump steer. Will this help alleviate that if I switched to oem tie rods?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
So since I have your camber/caster plates with the caster bushing on the lower control arm rear bushing, should I not use whiteline tie rods? I noticed when cornering, if I hit a little bump I get pretty bad bump steer. Will this help alleviate that if I switched to oem tie rods?
Yes, definitely use the OEM tie rod with the WL ball joint if you have added caster.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by u189961
I was able to re-torque everything down at ride height with your suggestion, it worked great! I measured 13 inches from center hub to fender so I matched that up with the car in the air, was kind of scary having the car that high in the air but I threw the tire under the car and added 2 additional jack stands for safety lol. The car feels a lot better and not as bouncy in the rear!
I've been having an issue with my coilovers on the rear where it was bouncy and would sometimes pogo when going over railroad tracks or some certain bumpy road situations. I installed the coilovers when the car was not at ride heigh(the arms I mean). I undid my bolt/nut for the coilovers that attached to the control arms in the rear and I now no longer get the bouncyness. I'm pretty happy about this problem now being fixed! I tried a bunch of different things and thought maybe having a high spring rate in the rears was the problem. Thanks for mentioning this or I would've never of tried that!