Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help trying to install MN580057 Bushings

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 02:16 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Help trying to install MN580057 Bushings

I am trying to install Ralliart Front Lower arm Bushing MN580057 and it has an orientation mark on the bushing. However I cannot for the life of me find any documentation on what position that mark needs to be in for the install. The Pillow ball bushing is documented in the FSM but not this one. Anybody know how these should go?

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jun 13, 2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Are you talking about the bushing in the bottom of your pic where the horizontal bolt goes though? If so it really shouldn't matter.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Are you talking about the bushing in the bottom of your pic where the horizontal bolt goes though? If so it really shouldn't matter.
Yes, and that's what I had thought too since there is nothing documented. But then it showed up with that orientation mark.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Is it symmetrical? If it is then it really shouldnt matter.

Funny timing actually but Im wondering if one side is actually slightly longer than the other? Please measure with a caliper and report back. Im about to install some Hardrace sphericals in that same position to replace my poly WL ones and I noticed the spacers are slightly different lengths. So now that I think about it, it would make sense that the paint mark could signify a specific side to point out for example.

What is the significance of the paint mark on the big donut bushing? Is that to tell top vs bottom or to point in a specific direction? Sorry, I pressed mine out years ago in favor of PSRS so dont even recall but perhaps they follow the same trend as far as orientation is concerned.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 04:04 PM

Is it symmetrical? If it is then it really shouldnt matter.

Funny timing actually but Im wondering if one side is actually slightly longer than the other? Please measure with a caliper and report back. Im about to install some Hardrace sphericals in that same position to replace my poly WL ones and I noticed the spacers are slightly different lengths. So now that I think about it, it would make sense that the paint mark could signify a specific side to point out for example.

What is the significance of the paint mark on the big donut bushing? Is that to tell top vs bottom or to point in a specific direction? Sorry, I pressed mine out years ago in favor of PSRS so dont even recall but perhaps they follow the same trend as far as orientation is concerned.
Good idea, I'll measure them and cross reference it with the ones i pushed out and see what that looks like.

This is what the FSM provides for the pillow ball bushing orientation

Old Jun 13, 2019, 04:05 PM

The part number for the upgraded Ralliart Pillow ball bushings is MN580142 for anyone who is interested. More Info here:

https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=394898

https://www.rosssport.com/Brands/RAL...SH-KIT-EVO-7-9

https://www.rhdjapan.com/ralliart-pi...rear-ct9a.html

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jun 13, 2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 04:18 PM

Ok, so after measuring both of the new bushings the side that is marked sticks out approx. 20 thou further from the outer shell then the non marked side. I'll measure the stock bushings and hopefully figure out what the right orientation is. I didn't mark which direction the stock ones were in when I pushed them out, but I'm confident I left enough newbie marks on them to figure it out
Old Jun 13, 2019, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Im interested to hear your findings. As a reference I just measured difference in spacer height for mine (the Hardrace spherical) and it was out to a difference of 2mm or basically 4x relative to your figure. Nonetheless it certainly seems like the difference is for a reason so now im with you wondering the correct orientation as well.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 07:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
The svc manual is depicting 2 bush voids that must be oriented properly so it pumps properly during movement

The replacement bush shown in your pic must have voids, as well, but maybe hidden under the rubber cover? It may appear symmetrical but its not

Its also likely that those voids are there for reduced NVH. Race bushes are solid alum or harder durometer rubber

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jun 13, 2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 08:38 PM

After examining my stock bushings I have found they are in much worse shape then I had thought when I removed them. the rubber is cracked pretty bad and I cannot get any consistent measurement between them to make a confident decision on how the new ones should be oriented.

The cracking is pretty bad on this one (replacement pictured on the right for comparison)

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
The svc manual is depicting 2 bush voids that must be oriented properly so it pumps properly during movement

The replacement bush shown in your pic must have voids, as well, but maybe hidden under the rubber cover? It may appear symmetrical but its not

Its also likely that those voids are there for reduced NVH. Race bushes are solid alum or harder durometer rubber
The ralliart pillow ball bushings appear to me to be solid rubber around the pillow ball. Luckily they are marked, and the FSM gives guidance on their orientation. Not so much for the front bushings though. They are all advertised as being a stronger more durable rubber for motor sport.

I only recently discovered these ralliart upgrades even existed when I started researching to do a front end refresh. I couldn't find anyone in the states even selling them, so I ordered them from rhdjapan. Here is a side by side.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jun 13, 2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 08:58 PM

I just realized my first post is pretty confusing. This is the bushing I'm trying to figure out

I'll update the first post too.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 08:53 AM

no dice finding any more info, I guess my google foo has failed me. Anyway I did find some consistent markings on the rubber between the original and replacement bushings:

based on these marks, the painted side of the bushing should face towards the rear of the car. I'm going to spend a little more time trying to dig for some documentation though before I install them.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Any additional progress on this?

Looking at it from below to me I feel like it would make sense that the longer side faces the back but thats just a guess. Also then the yellow dots would sorta line up with eachother.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Whoops looks like you posted as I was typing up my post. So it sounds like we're on the same page then?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:31 AM

Whoops looks like you posted as I was typing up my post. So it sounds like we're on the same page then?
Yah I think so. Thanks for the input, it makes me more confident this is the right way. I'm going to do one control arm first and fit it to the car and see. If it doesn't seem right then at least I'm only pushing out one bushing.