Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

alignment settings

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2004, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alignment settings

I need some help. I have installed GT Spec Front and rear strut bars, and a 25 mm Perin Rear Sway bar (it is set to the softest setting).

I am installing a set of Tein S-Tech springs this weekend. Then I will be off to get an alignment. I need help deciding on what setting to use for the alignment. I was thinking something like:
zero toe
2.0 camber in the front
1.5 camber in the rear

This is just a guess from reading. I really don't know what to try.

I appreciate any suggestions.

thanks,
-Doug
Old May 6, 2004, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

I'm running -1.7 camber in the front and -.7 camber in the rear and zero toe front and back. are you planning on doing any auto-x? If not, my settings will be a little aggressive for what you'd want on a daily driver. Mine is set up for auto-x and track days. Go to Performance Alignment, they really know their stuff.
Old May 6, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Zero toe and about a degree difference in camber front and rear (more at the front) seems to work well. I was using the same camber settings as 992 last year and the car seemed quite neutral. This year I'm using -2.5/-1.5 camber and it feels similar in handling performance. The relatively large negative camber at the front isn't the best for street use, though. The car tends to wander more at low speeds and irregular road surfaces. Works great at the track, though, with nice, even tire wear.
Old May 6, 2004, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Greg,

Yes I plan to do both autocross and track events (if I can ever get my car to run right again). I will look up Performance Alignment, but do you happen to have a number for them.

thanks,
-Doug
Old May 6, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

I have mine set to -1.8 Front, -1.3 Rear and zero toe all around. I use it as a daily driver and love to run the canyons hard. It does tend to follow pavement a bit more, but it is really stuck now and handling is a little more neutral. This set-up is good for and increase of 5 mph on my favorite cloverleaf test ramp, up from 60 to 65 mph! Good luck and have fun. It's funny, good curvy roads just don't seem to be long enough anymore! John
Old May 6, 2004, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys keep them coming.

I am hearing that it should be somewhere between the -1.5 and -2 for the front and -.5 and -1 in the rear.
Old May 6, 2004, 11:47 AM

don't -camber the rear too much and you can help with the understeer a lil(well...depending on if you still have understeer based on what mods you have). i tracked my car at streets of willow with 1.5/1.8(L/R) in the front and 0.5 in the back and had much less understeer than with the stock settings(the rear was at about 1.0 stock). just something to play with...enjoy...
Old May 6, 2004, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Why are you going with the softest setting on rear sway bar? Wouldn't the neutral/middle setting be more advantageous?
Old May 6, 2004, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.performance-alignment.com/

I have the Progress bar as well, set to the middle position. Car is very neutral and easy to drive. If you make it out to the next auto-x, I'll take you for a ride.
Old May 6, 2004, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Bogie,

That was the setting recommended to me by Quantum Racing. It is not hard to change so I can do it fairly easily if I need to. It is a 25mm...it is pretty big...so the softest setting is not necessarily soft. Also I am not sure how the car will perform... I know it will allow the rear to break lose which is good, but to much is bad. I may need to move it to the middle setting but I figure I would try small adjustments and see how it goes.

-Doug
Old May 6, 2004, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Greg - I plan to make it to the one at Kentucky Speedway on May 23rd. I will definately look you up. Thanks for the web site...

-Doug
Old May 6, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Chickenbrest, gotcha. I asked because, I, as does 992, have a Progress bar, set in the middle position.
Old May 6, 2004, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Bogie,

Mabye the middle setting is where I need to be then. Are you running that Progress bar in the middle setting all the time? Even on your street tires for everyday driving?

BTW - I appreciate the help. I just got the bar last week and have not had a chance to really get out and drive with it to see how it handles.

-Doug
Old May 7, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys, I will not start another topic so here is my question:

I need alignment as well, so i guess 1.8 front and 1.3 rear 0 toe would be fine? i got tein-s springs? also seems like rear sits a little bit higher well i installed the springs last night so i belive rear will go lower ?

Thanks,
Old May 7, 2004, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chickenbrest
Bogie,

Mabye the middle setting is where I need to be then. Are you running that Progress bar in the middle setting all the time? Even on your street tires for everyday driving?

BTW - I appreciate the help. I just got the bar last week and have not had a chance to really get out and drive with it to see how it handles.

-Doug
Yep, middle setting all the time. There has been some discussion recently regarding the rsb having 0 effect on handling. Too soon for me to comment. I can say a rear strut bar definitely contributed to my '93 Z's rotation.

Quick Reply: alignment settings