Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stock Rims Powdercoated White on a WW Evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stock Rims Powdercoated White on a WW Evo?

so...... Discount tire scratched one of my rims decently & im considering just getting them powdercoated White & skipping on aftermarket rims.......

Pro's------------------

given the road quality where i live, i cant go any larger than 17" & ive always liked the traditional (non-blingin) 5 spoke layout

I figure 70$ for dismounting/re-mounting & 50$ a wheel for powdercoating @ 270$ +/- sounds like a pretty good deal.... also the fact 17" tires are cheaper & manufacturers usually carry more choices in 17" than in 18 or 19"

Cons--------

ive never been one to have a "Ricey" car & im still on the fence whether the white rims are just a bit much for me......(still adjusting to having a rear wing)

then theres the downtime, the local shop i usually use has a 2 week leadtime.... Ugh

My questions for you folks......................

are the stock rims forged? i know there pretty light, but how will they hold up in the long run?

in your opinion are White rims on a White car ricey?

anyone have pics of the stockers in white? on a white Evo would be best (searched, no hits)

Whats the fastest turnaround you've ever had on getting a part Powdercoated?
Old May 14, 2004, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I'd worry about color matching. I've seen white cars with white wheels where the colors are slightly off and it doesn't look good. White would also be horrible for brake dust, and our stock front pads are far from dustless.
Old May 14, 2004, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
The stock rims are forged, but are not very light. I weighed mine and it was just over 20 lbs. The white rims will give you the WRC look. It seems like most cars run white rims for some reason. Maybe someone can post and tell us both why.

I do think the white on white would look good, but I have not seen anyone doing it. If you don't get any pics, you can try posting a Photo Shop request to have someone do the stock wheels in white for you. There are some very talented people on here that will do a good enough job for you to get an idea of what it would look like.

No ideas on turn around time. Probably like everything else at a body shop, the actual time involved isn't that much. It is the waiting until the guy gets to your stuff that takes all the time.

I second the idea about brake dust. It would be tuff to keep clean. What about doing black rims?

Last edited by robertrinaustin; May 14, 2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old May 14, 2004, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

I think they would look ok. I think I remember seeing a black evo on here with white powder coated rims..... You could always use photoshop to see.....

Let me see if I can find that picture.............
Old May 14, 2004, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Well I found the pics, but there not the stock rims.....but here you go anyway

Old May 14, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

The stock Evo stock Enkeis are spun, not forged. I don't know how that affects how well they hold powder coat (I suspect it makes no difference).
Old May 14, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

i seen powered coated enkeis in black . One big scratch looked like it took off the powdercoating with ease.
Old May 14, 2004, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Its been 9 months now since I powdercoated my wheels and I think they will last forever. I dont see any paint chipping out or peeling off. When they got real dirty, I just wipe them off with a cloth and theyll look clean. Here is the name of the place where I had them powder coated. www.gemtechpowder.com. I only spend $231 for all four wheels. I highly recommend them.
Noel

Last edited by solarxclipse; May 14, 2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old May 14, 2004, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

i was just going to post ask Solarxclipse about his. You used a good name powdercoating company. You beat me to it LOL
Old May 14, 2004, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by solarxclipse
Its been 9 months now since I powdercoated my wheels and I think they will last forever. I dont see any paint chipping out or peeling off. When they got real dirty, I just wipe them off with a cloth and theyll look clean. Here is the name of the place where I had them powder coated. www.gemtechpowder.com. I only spend $231 for all four wheels. I highly recommend them.
Noel

Damn those are some nice *** headlights!

I did see someone on here who had powdercoated there stock rims white. (on a WW Evo) But i forgot where i saw the pix. IMO i think it'll look good if its the right shade of white and if you drop your car.
Old May 14, 2004, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

solarxclipse-who did them headlights?
Old May 15, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He did I think .
Old May 15, 2004, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

^ Yes he did.