Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Resurfacing Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The steering wheel vibration has been a nightmare since I got my car.

I tried a lot of pads and expensive two piece racing rotor, but no sucess.

I'm so frustrated that I'm thinking about to trade my car.

Brembo pads, Endless SSS, Endless CCRg, Endless SSM = brake judder

Next pad will be Carbotech XP8, let's see
Old Oct 1, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k270kmh

its not the pads, thats physically impossible. it either has to be the rotors, or your tie-rods are shot. use some common sense here people!
Old Oct 1, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Even with new pads + new two piece rotors I got vibration after I braked from 160mph to 60mph. Before this the brakes were fine.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i know i threw out my rotors becasue one was baddly damaged a buddy gave me his 2 since he got slotted ones i resurfeced them and looked perfect i tohught its gonna work with new pads but with time rotors deteriated and didnt hold the heat and are making uneven surfacing so i guess i have to buy new rotors and pads with that
Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by k270kmh

You should exchange hub module in itself.
It's related with the vibration of steerign wheel, too.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoandy
^^^ you're getting hosed. Unless the evo uses like... ferodo race compound pads stock, which I dont think it does since you wouldn't be able to stop when your brakes are cold, don't replace your pads with stock ones. get some hawk HPs or something.
+1
Old Oct 12, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

i just got my front and back rotors resurfaced but i think i made a mistake by gettin the Hawk HP Performance pads, they squeak a lot. didnt know those were only for track use. but anyways i think in stuck with it now. they do stop hella good though. My next pads will be Hawk HPS.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

i have Hawk HP Plus and man are they noisy???? i think its because they are track only pads. BTW anyone runnin Hawk HP Plus??? Are they noisy on u too? Please let me know guys....cuz so far i think im the only one who Hawk HP plus's are noisy...lol.

BTW i made a mistake of resurfacing my rotors when i changed my pads, had i came across this thread i wouldnt have resurfaced them. Anyways, they were warped with lines all over and didnt feel smooth when i ran my fingers thru them, thats why i thought they might need to be resurfaced.

Even though i didnt pay a dime for them to be resurfaced or the pads to be installed cuz my buddy did it at his shop but still i think i shouldnt have resurfaced them. whatever...

So yeah let me know if someone else here is runnin Hawk HP plus pads and if they are sqeaky noisy on you aswell.

Thanx guys!!!
Old Nov 8, 2007, 01:53 PM

Its fine

Just gotta make sure you have enought surface and see if you can wait that long on new brakes!
Old Nov 8, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

First, for your pad noise, see:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=brake+pad

Second, you may want to put this in the sticky up front. If you're cleaning your rotor with sandpaper, make sure it's garnet based. Regular sandpaper can imbed aluminum oxide particles in the rotor which can lead to more problems. Reference Carroll Smith's (one of the most experienced race car builders in America) excellent white paper for this:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by EVIL VIII
I have my rotors turned around 10,000 miles due to steering column shake...I didn't resurface the rotors though...
this guy should not work on cars.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 01:18 AM

do they charge for resurface?
Old Nov 16, 2007, 02:24 AM
Evolved Member

I figured it out a long time ago. I never had the problem then started to have it at around 10k miles. I think it is from being hard on the brakes and then staying on them when you have already come to a stop (or if you have to..like when braking to a stop down a hill). If you guys have ever seen idiots at the track in their C6 Z06's go out drive like a frantic 17 year old girl- over speeding and abusively braking into ever single turn and then coming into the parking lot with the brakes smoking profusely and then sitting on them. I think even doing it remotely often with brakes as raw as the Brembos we have causes them to do all the "shaking." I stopped staying on the brakes when I didn't have to at stoplights (even lightly) and even if I needed to be on the brakes at a stop (up or down a hill) and I had to brake hard to stop I will at least stop early and let off the brakes a few times. I always drive around for a little after a mountain run or an Auto-X event (even just in the parking lot for 5 mins). The problem stopped by the time I reached 10,300 miles. I had the steering wheel shake pretty bad too...I thought my brakes were totally destroyed. I now have almost 30,000 miles and have had 0 problems with shake except for the previously mentioned few days between 10,000- 10,300 miles. I'm still on the same, original Brembo rotors and pads that came stock from the day I bought my car @ 30,000 miles, I still have a little less than half life left on my pads and my rotors have almost no groove at all. I have never cleaned the rotors or turned them. I downshift everywhere to slow down and save the brakes for when I need them. So anytime you noticed you foot on the brake when it doesn't need to be TAKE IT OFF the pedal!!!

Last edited by Evo IX MR; Nov 16, 2007 at 02:26 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

I recently replaced factory pads w/Hawk HPS and had resurfacing done, due to pulsation and specified wear excess. Employed proper break-in of the pads and couldn't be happier. Aside from occasional squeek when cold, pads and rotors are performing well; much better than stock. Pulsation is non-existant, stopping power is greatly increased.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

On a side note, I don't plan on more than one resurface; common sense dictates that you can't keep removing metal and maintain structural and heat dissapation properties that are worth a damn. Also, it would seem that if you're braking so hard on a regular basis that the rotors are warping, it would seem that an upgrade would be in order, as well as some additional cooling ability.

Quick Reply: Resurfacing Brake Rotors