Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlins coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason,

The ohlins page says that the Gruppe-N is maximized for gravel and tarmac....

How is the setup adaptable to both? Would this be adjustable travel or different spring rates?

What is the best price for the Gruppe-N stuff? Is it overkill compared to the sport model?

Steve
Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ogvw
Fronts here clicky clicky

rears here clickety clickety
mmmmmm.... remote reservoirs.... yummy
Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

There are 2 different GroupN kits - one for gravel, one for tarmac. They have different valving/springs/shaft lengths.

The front struts retail for about $2400 EACH!!!! and the rears are $799 EACH!!!

you decide if that is overkill or not
Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

have any idea on the spring rates for the tarmac versions (front/rear) Jason?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

350/450..... ?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

I'll get you spring rates tomorrow..... cant remember off the top of my head
Old Sep 8, 2004, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Like to know too... looking for suspension set up now.. from JICs to Teins...

As for Teins.. I'm looking at custom valved Flex to even HTs.... how are they compare to Ohlins MIS kit?
Old Sep 8, 2004, 12:14 AM
Vendor

Originally Posted by BrownPoop
350/450..... ?
Hey there,

I noticed in your sig that you drive an RS so I thought I'd mention that you’ll need a different spring combination due to the front limited slip. We have finished our RS testing and can recommend an excellent set-up based on your driving style/needs.

Our WORKS/Ohlins Stage I with WORKS Camber plates is $2349 and our Stage II with custom springs is $2599. Spring rates are completely custom from 4Kg up to 10Kg without needing to revalve the shock. If you're local, feel free to come by sometime and drive our recommended set-up. Or, if you know already know the specific rates you want, we can provide you with those as well. And like with our other coilover set-ups, you can purchase extra springs for different driving conditions.

On a personal note, of all the suspensions I've had on my car, the WORKS/Ohlins setup I'm driving now is probably the best compromise of superior track handling and around town drivability. After trying several spring combinations, the WORKS 7kg springs in the front and 9kg springs in the rear seem to have hit the sweet spot for me.

Rifkin
Old Sep 8, 2004, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Rif,
What exactly is the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 other than the $250 difference?

I thought custom spring rates came with Ohlins no matter what... ? .. you buy a MIS set from Brits inc for $2100 and you can choose your rates.. no?

Does stage 1 come with camber plates and pillow tops for the rear?

I just spent alot of money fixing understeer and sloppy brakes... coilovers are next on the list though.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

I just spent alot of money fixing understeer and sloppy brakes... coilovers are next on the list though.
The EVO does have some understeer but it's not that bad... you would be surprised how good the stock suspension is... once you start to play with aftermarket coilovers... you can even make the so called understeer even worse so be careful.

As for brakes, they are excellent.... and no where near sloppy. A good set of pads should help you.. such as the Ferodo DS2500.

Don't go crazy with a setup until you drive the car for a little while on the stock setup.

I just recently changed my pads and suspension and I've had the car for over a year now.

Steve
Old Sep 8, 2004, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

he he.. I know but thx for the tips though.

alot of money to me might not be alot to you.... I only got a rear swaybar, new brake pads, SS brake lines, good brake fluid and a motive power bleeder.... ended up costing alot to me.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Oh... well it looks like you are going in the right direction.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 05:46 PM
Vendor

Rif,
What exactly is the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 other than the $250 difference?

I thought custom spring rates came with Ohlins no matter what... ? .. you buy a MIS set from Brits inc for $2100 and you can choose your rates.. no?

Does stage 1 come with camber plates and pillow tops for the rear?

Hey BP,

The difference between the Stage I and Stage II coilovers is that the Stage I setup ships with the springs that come standard from Ohlins (the rates on these springs are roughly equivalent to those found on the stock Evo). This spring/shock combination provides superb around town drivability and also drives great on the track. With the Stage II coilovers, you receive the standard Ohlins springs as well as an additional set of stiffer springs (either the WORKS recommended rates or a custom rate that you decide) for improved track performance.

With regard to the upper mounts we're using, the Stage I and II both use the WORKS upper pillow ball mounts in the front. Stage III coilovers however, use the WORKS upper pillow ball mounts in the front and the rear.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rif
Old Sep 8, 2004, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

I should have been more clear in my post... when I said sloppy brakes I really meant 'mushy brake pads'... I know the brakes have good potential with better pads and some good floating rotors.... you get my drift.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Rif,

Do you sell the camber plates for the front and rear individually? Who makes these for you?
Do you have pics of these?

Is it only camber adjustment or is there caster adjustment for the front?

Steve

Quick Reply: Ohlins coilovers