Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Gurus and track monkeys: help needed with ideal suspension setup.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2004, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, actually the Ohlins ride better than stock and should be a nice mix of comfort and handling benefit from stock. Is it going to be the fastest setup out there? No, but your a novice like me and there is far more to be gained with driving. I run a RRE aggressive road-racing setup and there is a huge trade-off in street-ride. But, I really don't see the sense in spending $2000 dollars unless I want to make a huge improvement in handling because the stock car handle well to begin with. Although I would be curious to see how well the Ohlins ride with a set of stiff springs.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metaphysical
Well, actually the Ohlins ride better than stock and should be a nice mix of comfort and handling benefit from stock. Is it going to be the fastest setup out there? No, but your a novice like me and there is far more to be gained with driving. I run a RRE aggressive road-racing setup and there is a huge trade-off in street-ride. But, I really don't see the sense in spending $2000 dollars unless I want to make a huge improvement in handling because the stock car handle well to begin with. Although I would be curious to see how well the Ohlins ride with a set of stiff springs.
According to Jason Whipple, it will still be a little soft even with the springs (i.e. lean a bit, but will give more traction nontheless). However, he says with what I have, it should have awesome grip around rougher corners. Jason also said he thinks it will ride considerably better than stock on the street in terms of comfort. But, like you, comfort is not my primary concern. We'll see... I can't wait.

BTW, the Ohlins cost $2490, but that included two sets of springs: The standard Ohlins and the custom Eibachs. The camber plates were two bills more. The rear sway bar was $180. $2880 total. Ouch!

Last edited by Smogrunner; Nov 14, 2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Too much of good info.
I had to bump it - again.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:29 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

FWIW I'm running the Ohlins PCV.

Too soft for serious track work, IMHO.

But for STREET it is very supple/nicely damped.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 04:08 AM
Evolving Member

I do not understand why everyone feels they must go with the setups the rest of the fastest evos use. sure its proven, but if you want to be FASTER than them, someone should either improve drastically on the existing JIC platform or work on an entirely new platform altogether. I think there would be more of a competition if people in the US knew how to tune Japanese coilovers better. The CyberEvo is running a custom TEIN setup and clocked a track record on American soil (Buttonwillow) - (NOT sure why no one talks about this),

so its not like other JDM coilovers are NOT a viable option. Economically speaking this is how the Japanese swept the electronics market in the 1980s... IMPROVEMENT.

Its just finding the right equipment, right tuner, and right driver.

Last edited by ImportUpgrade; Dec 15, 2004 at 04:12 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
According to Jason Whipple, it will still be a little soft even with the springs (i.e. lean a bit, but will give more traction nontheless). However, he says with what I have, it should have awesome grip around rougher corners. Jason also said he thinks it will ride considerably better than stock on the street in terms of comfort. But, like you, comfort is not my primary concern. We'll see... I can't wait.

BTW, the Ohlins cost $2490, but that included two sets of springs: The standard Ohlins and the custom Eibachs. The camber plates were two bills more. The rear sway bar was $180. $2880 total. Ouch!
Are these on the car now?

I'm curious as to what people who have the Ohlin's think about the ride versus stock. Also - and this might sound like a strange question, but do they squeek or make other noises?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 04:38 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

I recently drove Chronohunter's car. It had stiffer springs compared to what Smogrunner has and yet it was still more comfortable than my stock 03 Evo. They definitely removed a lot of the harshness from the ride.

I have been lusting after a set ever since!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

are the JIC's rebuildable?

if so I am contemplating either esnding my old JIC's for rebuild and get new springs for it at RRE ..... or... just get a new set of Ohlins from work or vishnu.

Seems the Ohlins are nice and comfy for street ride but has anyone done hotlaps at the track with them.. what spring rates? how were they?

tia,
nils
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:50 AM

Real good read! Bumping to the top.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Wheels: Pretty is as pretty does, so I'm going with the Enkei RPF1s. I really wanted the 17 x 9 with the 35 mm offset, but when guys like John Mueller and Robi insist that the 8.5 inch wide RPF1s with the 40mm offset is the way to go for 255s, I listen. (Goku too.)
Curious as to the reason that John Mueller and Robi preferred 17x8.5 +40 vs 17x9 +35 ?
Also, if sticking with the RPF1 17x8.5, why not the +30 instead of the +40 offset?
Doesn't the 10 mm less positive offset move the wheel 10mm further outboard away from the suspension?
It should result in a slightly wider stance, more room for wheel spokes to clear the calipers. So maybe the reason not to go +30 is the tire stick out too far and cause a rubbing issue?
(These questions are all based on a 2005 stock suspension)
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by tmaddox
Curious as to the reason that John Mueller and Robi preferred 17x8.5 +40 vs 17x9 +35 ?
Also, if sticking with the RPF1 17x8.5, why not the +30 instead of the +40 offset?
Doesn't the 10 mm less positive offset move the wheel 10mm further outboard away from the suspension?
It should result in a slightly wider stance, more room for wheel spokes to clear the calipers. So maybe the reason not to go +30 is the tire stick out too far and cause a rubbing issue?
(These questions are all based on a 2005 stock suspension)
maybe because it was 2004?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't the 2004 suspension geometry the same as 2005?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tmaddox
Isn't the 2004 suspension geometry the same as 2005?
No. He's saying because this thread was started in '04. Manufacturer offerings have certainly changed since then.