Notices
Evo Vendor 'Group Buy / Specials' Classifieds This forum is for any specials or group buys that vendors may have. If you're looking for the best price, this is the place to check. Please keep in mind that these items are not guaranteed to be in-stock.

axle backs and intercoolers....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
axle backs and intercoolers....

Hi all,

Well I got my volunteer in here with his EVO this morning. I didn't want to put ours back to stock to work on an axle back for the car so I used someone else's car. Thanks again Nick!

We will have a new axle back released soon. I only did this because there is a demand for them. After riding in the car and Nick telling me it pulled much harder in the mid range after installing the axle back I thought maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all. I will offer these in 2.5" and 3" systems. I haven't figured out pricing yet but we will be competitive. I have to have some tips custom made and that is going to take a few weeks.

The 2.5" system was WAY too quiet, as a matter of fact I think it is quieter than stock. The factory system has two resonators in it. I think the hot ticket for someone wanting a REAL quiet system and good gain in power would be to run the 2.5" offroad pipe with the 2.5" axle back.

Other news. We are going to be releasing our new FMIC for the EVO in the next week or so. Our prototype is almost finished on the car. We have made some serious changes as to how the FMIC is on the car. Everyone and their copying neighbor is doing a FMIC for the EVO. Nobody has done anything spectacular. They have just simply made the stock unit BIGGER. That is fine and dandy, it is not however the best way to do thing. Pictures should be up on our site early next week. We will start taking orders as soon as the pictures of the kit go up. You guys are going to like it. Pricing will also be right there with everyone else, expect to see the entire kit for around $750. The new intercooler will be good for 750 hp. Also, because so many of you road race and autocross these cars we took into mind the overheating that can occur. We built the system to allow the radiator to do it's job even better. Like I said, I am happy with how this kit is going out.

Take care all,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Aug 9, 2003, 03:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds nice, can we get some more details? Like any modification needed to install? Stock pipes or...? Type of core? Any test data for flow/pressure drop and cooling efficiency?

Thanks,

Eric
Old Aug 9, 2003, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

CEL for the offroad?
Old Aug 11, 2003, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
david never ceases to amaze me with his products, and new developments.

Keep up the great work !!

How far are ya from NYC?
Old Aug 11, 2003, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

That is great to hear David. Once we get the paperwork ironed out, I will be able to say "I proudly offer all Buschur Racing Evo products!" Keep up the great work and make the Evo owners proud !
Old Aug 13, 2003, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

I called and got some specifics on the intercooler core we chose to run.

I am told it is designed for up to 750 hp and at 750 hp of flow will only have .84 psi of pressure drop. Just to add a little something, our small street core for the DSM is 2.75" shorter than this core and is rated for 600 flywheel horsepower, we have made over 600 hp to the wheels with it.

The core is rated at 1125 cfm and I am told that with a 16g turbo charger at 19-20 psi and an inlet temp of 80 degrees F that we should have an outlet temp of between 90 and 100 degrees F. This core is overkill for the car and that is the way we like it.

We built the intercooler from a 3.5"x10.5"x24" core. The end tanks and the routing of the intercooler plumbing is what sets our intercooler apart from the rest of the kits out there. We were able to save 20" of plumbing and 5 bends from the lower intercooler pipe to the turbo. This with our upper intercooler pipe saves a total of 11 bends and 36 inches of plumbing!

The other big plus to this system is there is a substantial amount of additional cooling to the radiator. This is going to be a big help to your road racer, autocrossers and guys that live in hot climates.

We have also picked up additonal flow to the intercooler core giving more unobstructive air flow to the core itself. The factory i/c sprayer still works and hits the intercooler dead center.

There is not cutting or modifying of the vehicle other than having to leave the lower splash shields off the car.

The kit is going to come with the new lower intercooler pipe and couplings.

As a side note, the bumper can be removed, it is a light unit to begin with. We are going to be making custom brackets to hold the fascia in place of the two mounting points when the bumper is removed. Removing the bumper with our FMIC will open up even MORE cooling to the radiator as the front vents will be used for radiator/engine cooling only.

This kit just kicks *** that is the only way to say it. The cores on are their way here. The laser cutting will be a week or two. FMIC's will start shipping as soon as we get the laser cut end tanks and flanges for the turbo in.

Target price on the FMIC with plumbing, coupling and the FMIC is going to be $750. I am fairly certain we can stick with this.

The pictures of the kit on our EVO will be up on our site later today.

Thanks for reading,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Aug 13, 2003, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, you get a CEL with the offroad pipe. With all the other things that have been going on we kind of dropped the ball on the 02 simulator. We will get back on that.
David
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:22 AM

This sounds like a nice Intercooler

But, I would hope that you aren't having tony Dequick fron CAS (Charged Air Syestems) making it. I have had baddddddd dealings with him and if he has anything to do with it you can count me out of this! I have buick grand nationals and that guy burned us buick guys real bad. so if he is involved, do us and yourself a big favor. dump him and have some one else make it
Old Aug 14, 2003, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Where in the world did you come up with us using Tony Dequick from? We build all of our parts here in house. I also own a Buick WE-4, my father owns three GN's. I have some of Tony's parts on my Buick (radiator and FMIC), I couldn't build them for what I got them from him for. I do agree though, delivery for Tony SUCKS. Nice parts when they showed up but man, what a wait.

Don't worry, everything you get from us is done here.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Aug 14, 2003, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Damn... TonyD, what a nightmare he is.

Buschur

You guys have any pictures of your larger intercooler setup on an EVO yet?
Old Aug 14, 2003, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

I've been thinking of a 3in DP, offroad pipe, and full 3 exhaust but I didnt want any CELs. How come URs offraod pipe doesn't generate the CEL but it basically is also just a 3 in pipe?
Old Aug 14, 2003, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BadBoyBeltran
I've been thinking of a 3in DP, offroad pipe, and full 3 exhaust but I didnt want any CELs. How come URs offraod pipe doesn't generate the CEL but it basically is also just a 3 in pipe?
Someone here is selling cel eliminaters now. Try mil in search and see if that pulls up the post. Off topic but Beltran, I will be replying to your email as soon as I get an answer on the kit price.

Sorry David. Back on topic now. I would really be interested in seeing the pic of the FMIC as well when it is available. The axle back as well but I just LOOOVE big intercoolers !
Old Aug 14, 2003, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a pic of the Buschur fmic

We've just completed our prototype front mount intercooler upgrade for the EVO 8. We've taken all that we've learned regarding air-to-air intercooling over the last 13 years and applied it to this new intercooler package. We are very pleased to announce that this kit requires no cutting or modifications to the vehicle other than the omission of the front lower splash shield (which we've left off of the car since we purchased it... maintenance is a pain with it in place). The core is rated for 750hp with only .84 psi pressure drop. We've found in the past that you can exceed the theoretical hp rating by 100hp or better with the highly efficient turbochargers that we run. This core is rated at 1125 cfm and its dimensions are 24 x 10.5 x 3.5". The end tanks and the routing of the intercooler plumbing is what sets this intercooler apart from the other kits on the market. We were able to save 20" of intercooler plumbing length and 5 bends from the lower intercooler plumbing alone. This in conjunction with our upper intercooler pipe kit saves 11 bends and a total of 36" over the factory intercooler plumbing! Less bends, less restriction, more hp! We have also accomplished another of our goals... rather than restricting flow to the radiator for engine cooling, we have actually increased it. For those who autocross or road race, this is very advantageous. The factory intercooler sprayer remains functional and actually works fantastic with this core placement. The kit will come with the core assembly, lower intercooler plumbing, and couplings. The factory fans remain in place and again, there is no cutting or modifying of the vehicle. Target price expected to be $750.00 We expect to be able to ship kits within 3 weeks if we remain on schedule. If you'd like to place an advanced order, just give us a call.

Last edited by broeli; Aug 14, 2003 at 07:22 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

The pic has been on their website since yesterday. At least I'm pretty sure this is it.

http://www.buschurracing.com/EVODEV1.html

EDIT: Damn, broeli beat me by 1 minute.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

NICE !!!

Quick Reply: axle backs and intercoolers....