Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Ecutek tune on almost stock X, surprising numbers!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ecutek tune on almost stock X, surprising numbers!

Red is PRE TUNE, blue is POST TUNE

Only mods were a nisei UICP and a K&N drop in filter. This dyno reads a stock X at about 220 whp, and a tuned X at about 270, so it appears that the nisei IC pipe and the drop in are good "bang for the buck" mods. Interestingly enough, my X seems to be on the strong side compared to what others have been making on this dyno, pre and post tune, so I must have gotten lucky and gotten a really strong engine, or I did a great job with the break in or something. Either way, I'm really happy. Dyno4mance does a great job, and has a top notch tuner who really understands the X's ecu.

Now on to the review... Car pulls like a banshee now, it's insane. It doesn't even feel like the same car anymore. Peak gains were about 45 whp, but the biggest difference was at 7500 rpm, where there is a whopping 70 whp gain. The car just pulls and pulls all the way to fuel cut, and it's just awesome. If anyone is considering a tune, ecutek is probably the best software out right now and I highly recommend it. It offers full control over all the aspects of the ecu, including the tables necessary to avoid limp mode and the ASC issues, and is extremely stable.

I have no cells or problems of any kind, and the car is super consistent in power delivery. I am enjoying driving my car so much right now, it reminds me of the day I got it. This really brought back the love. Ecutek FTW!

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jan 25, 2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:10 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Dude, why the flip could my X have not made that much power with next to no mods? Mine was loud as crap with a catless TBE to get 3whp less. The IC pipe is definitely the bomb. I don't think exhausts do a ton on these cars with stock turbo.

KILLER RESULTS.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice results man.. Reflash is the ONLY way to go IMO.. Good luck!!
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Dude, why the flip could my X have not made that much power with next to no mods? Mine was loud as crap with a catless TBE to get 3whp less. The IC pipe is definitely the bomb. I don't think exhausts do a ton on these cars with stock turbo.

KILLER RESULTS.
Thanks man, although your 135i will still donkey punch me on the highway so that's something, right?
Old Jan 25, 2009, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
congrats for the numbers!!
They are really amazing
Old Jan 25, 2009, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like some of the locals might be catching up to me.... Guess it's time for me to think about cams

Looks good man, I don't think I made that much with the turbo back and tune and your still on the stock exhaust?.... A turbo back will fatten up the curve down low and through the midrange.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Those are amazing numbers. Time for me to consider a tune soon. hahaha... congrats !!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, it's tons of fun. I would've done this a while ago if I had the money, but things were tight until now. Thank god it's finally done though, because I was getting real tired of the stock tune. This is how the X should've come from the factory. The X really is a diamond in the rough, and it will only get better as this chassis continues to develop.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jan 26, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Whoops, duplicate post. Not quite sure how that happened...
Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

nice # dyno4mance crew ftw
Old Jan 26, 2009, 07:03 PM

Awesome results man. Can't wait to get tuned myself.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 01:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice results! Dyno4mance is definitely one of the more knowledgeable tuners out there.

I'm not surprised that the UICP helped that much though. If you've ever seen the stock IC pipe bulge and expand during a high boost dyno run, you'll know what I mean. It expands almost to the size of a balloon. Any hard UICP will keep the air velocity up.

The testing and tuning we did with the T1R exhaust was also done on a DynoDynamics. After we finished the tune with just the exhaust, we installed the T1R IC pipes and saw a 12whp gain on the first run. Very similar to your results. Again, the hard IC pipe really helps a ton with high boost.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome gains man! Best mod ever! I remember when I got my tune how happy I was with the new car feel

Old Jan 27, 2009, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Bruce and Andrew FTW. tuned my car in warmer less dense air and I put down 303, with more mods though
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I figure I'll give my comments after having driven the car for a week now. Car is still smooth and consistent as always, thanks to the great quality tune, and still no cells or any issues of any kind. This just goes to show that not all tunes are created equal, and if the tuner doesn't really understand all of the intricacies of the ecu (like how to understand and properly adjust the airflow check tables), then the car is going to have problems with limp mode and whatnot. Dyno4mance FTW!

On a side note, after having a lot of fun for the past week, I'm already bored with the power levels and want more. I guess I'm one of those people who is never satisfied, so it looks like a turbo kit is in my near future because I know that an exhaust and a retune just isn't going to do it for me. My wife is not going to like this....

Quick Reply: Ecutek tune on almost stock X, surprising numbers!