Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Stock turbo, E85 370hp/367tq

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mlomker
If you don't have 93 in your area then it still might be worth it (at least in the Summer). You can fit quite a few 5 gal gas cans in the back of an Evo for the weekend run to the gas station.
Agreed, 20 miles isn't that far, just stock up when you go there.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work, Goofy! That's some serious power for a stock turbo! I'm confused though when you say the stock BOV is the weakest link... I'm on the stock BOV at 480whp+. My guess is it's the WGA that's not holding for you. Have you considered uprading that? I'm running an HKS and it seemed like a worthwhile mod for the money for me.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

The only way his Stock diverter valve is the weak link is if leaks boost. All the Stock ones vary on when they will leak, some hold 30+psi no problem, others leak at 26, its a crap shoot. So far mine is good at 30+, and it looks like Traction's is good at 30+ as well.

This valve is the same as the Evo 9's one so this is nothing new. You can crush it a bit if you think it's leaking, but you probably wouldn't be making the power you are if it was leaking.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

I'm actually curious about this now. I never considered upgrading the BOV, but that could be leaking by a tiny bit of boost for me. My gauge flashes 34psi on the street, but on the dyno 31.5 is my max. Either way, I think once you're above 30psi on a stock frame turbo, you're only really going to get a torque spike with more boost, not any more power.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

^Do a boost leak test, I am sure AMS can throw one together for you real quick. It will let you know if you BOV is leaking or anything else.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

i did an evo 8 with a evo 9 BOV on it saturday (same BOV as whats found on the X). the MOST boost it could hold was 29. that was with 100 duty cycle (i.e. wastegate line essentially disconnected). we swapped in a forge BOV, lowered the duty cycle to 90 and it immediatelly spiked to 34.4psi, and held a half psi better at 7500rpm. you can see where it can make a difference... (in that cars case it was about 20+ftlb)

also yea, the wastegate arm wasn't nearly strong enough on goofys car. boost falling off bad
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:53 AM
Account Disabled

to goofyrin, my brother x made 360hp,350tg on dynojet at 24psi , pumpgas, full mods. I iam quessing you might make around 400hp on dj.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
i did an evo 8 with a evo 9 BOV on it saturday (same BOV as whats found on the X). the MOST boost it could hold was 29. that was with 100 duty cycle (i.e. wastegate line essentially disconnected). we swapped in a forge BOV, lowered the duty cycle to 90 and it immediatelly spiked to 34.4psi, and held a half psi better at 7500rpm. you can see where it can make a difference... (in that cars case it was about 20+ftlb)

also yea, the wastegate arm wasn't nearly strong enough on goofys car. boost falling off bad
Yeah, I'd guess that a BOV might give me another few psi. I don't think it'll help max HP much, but maybe some TQ. My Red is basically maxed. How is the daily drivability of the FORGE BOV?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

I did a boost leak test and my BOV starts leaking at about 25lbs. I run E85/stock turbo with a Forge WGA and GST 3-port. The car's tuned to hold 26.5 until the turbo can't keep up. The problem is that when the BOV starts leaking the turbo can't hold the 26.5 very long and I believe the BOV doesn't close back up consistently which causes the tuner to deal with inconsistent boost/fuel/timing issues depending on what the BOV does.

I think a lot more people are loosing power because of BOVs leaking and they don't even know it.

Last edited by delkat; Dec 15, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:54 PM
Account Disabled

Just had a customer move from a stock Evo 10 bov to a aftermarket (synchronic) and the boost went to 30+ psi.

All the Evo 9/10 metal bov's leak, unfortunatly they all leak at different psi on a case by case basis.

- bryan
Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Just had a customer move from a stock Evo 10 bov to a aftermarket (synchronic) and the boost went to 30+ psi.

All the Evo 9/10 metal bov's leak, unfortunatly they all leak at different psi on a case by case basis.

- bryan
So would you recommend a synchronic? I think a lot of people would like a good bov for when they go bigger but no one really knows/trusts any of them because of so many threads out there badmouthing every bov.

Did you have any issues with that one?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by murlo26
So would you recommend a synchronic? I think a lot of people would like a good bov for when they go bigger but no one really knows/trusts any of them because of so many threads out there badmouthing every bov.

Did you have any issues with that one?
A couple of the local guys have moved to the synchronic and have seemed to like it. It still has some slight flutter from what I have heard but nothing like a super crushed OEM or some other aftermarket BOV's. All have gained power, even ones moving from a crushed OEM valve.

- Bryan
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

my experience with the syncronic is dismal. they use a funny flange to hold it to the pipe. the flange was held to the BOV with set screws (terrible idea). on one customers car the BOV literally popped off the flange at only 27psi. also, the same car had WOT fluttering which was because of the BOV as well. denver also tried it on his personal car and didn't care for it at all. he promtly removed it. the vacuum line settings can become problematic especially if your trying to fit the BOV in a tight place (stock location gets close to manifolds and rad fan).

the Forge RS is what i almost always recommend for big turbo cars, but for stock turbo cars it gives fluttering when gently lifting and part throttle conditions (especially when lifting to match speeds on the highway). the standard for DV works fine for stock turbo and has a few different springs and shims you can mess around with so it holds boost and doesn't flutter. we have a couple APS twin vent BOVs coming in to try on some cars but they are super backordered. mellon said he loves it on his car, as well as a few others that road race their cars.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:36 AM

nice numbers
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well my car flutters from the STOCK DV, so there has to be something out there that works well with bigger turbo's.

Conflicting information sucks! I was going to crush mine, but i would rather get a new one that works great at a small sacrifice of driveability. There has to be something out there.

EDIT: honestly the perrin looks great but I haven't heard anything about it. It is fully recirculating and holds, so they say, up to 190psi! So i am not sure why that wouldn't be most peoples choice.

Last edited by murlo26; Dec 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Stock turbo, E85 370hp/367tq