Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

beaterX, dyno dynamics, 278whp/287wtq, BP93

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 09:03 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
beaterX, dyno dynamics, 278whp/287wtq, BP93

I haven't posted much about my new beater on here since I bought it, but it's coming along nicely. She didn't seem to like timing up top, so my peak numbers aren't super fancy 300whp but the tune is solid and the car is damn fun for what it is. Maybe with some better gas or on a different day it'd make high 290's peak, just missing about 2° of timing up top.

Power Mods:
DB Performance Tune on Dyno Dynamics
Magnaflow catback
Megan Testpipe
Perrin intake tube
aFe stage2 intake
custom UICP
custom 3" garrett-core FMIC
hallman mbc
2.5 wga crank
bov crush

Old Jun 6, 2010, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good looking graph!! I tend to ignore the output number and analyze the curve,,
Old Jun 6, 2010, 09:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Its a bit low for those mods. Identical dyno (uncorrected old software DD), my car makes mid 290s in August heat and made 309 in December cool weather.

IMO, that's a bit too much boost in the middle from that MBC!

I don't like BP. I know a couple of tuners on here do. I used to use Shell, sucks now. I get knocksum from BP and Shell, but not Exxon. I had a BP tune that on a hot run would do 2-3 counts with the occasional 4. Day after on Exxon, 0 counts across, with a very rare 1 at boost onset. YMMV, but if you have a logger, it can't hurt to try.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Its a bit low for those mods.
I'm not sure about that. The numbers from this dyno aren't good for the ego. My car had a DP and a number of other mods and only made 304.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...=dbperformance
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

The gains over stock are more important. What are they?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't like BP.
BP93 is the best pump gas available in Minnesota. They don't have Chevron, Texaco, or Exxon up there. There are a few random Mobil stations, but they only carry 91 or 92. The Holiday 93 is complete crap. There are plenty of Shell stations, but I think it's only 92 and the current V-Power kind of seems like junk, even the 93-octane down here in Dallas knocks like crazy in my wife's WRX when BP 93 (up in MN) and Chevron 93 (down here in Dallas) is perfect.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 01:58 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by mlomker
I'm not sure about that. The numbers from this dyno aren't good for the ego. My car had a DP and a number of other mods and only made 304.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...=dbperformance
I speak from experience too.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...k-exhaust.html

That's similar mods, but 10% less power. I re-read and saw its his "beater", check out the thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ew-beater.html
Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that it was just a bad tank of gas or something Scheides...you should crack 300whp with that stuff...you'll figure it out, i have no question. You will probably be moving to a bigger turbo next eventually right , so when that happens it won't matter.

Solid tune is all that matters.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 06:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Good to see you modding already. Will be interesting to see how it evolves compared to your Evo 8.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:02 PM
EvoM Moderator

Thx for the comments guys! Yea, whether it was a bad tank of gas or something else (I haven't even done a boost leak test on this thing yet, shame shame!!!), I'm not too worried. BP93 is the best we can get up here: it is consistent and proven to make the most power over anything else. We have E85 everywhere too, but nowhere that is convenient for me. I'm very happy with the current power level and will hopefully find my way into bigger numbers down the road.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:05 PM
EvoM Moderator

IMO, that's a bit too much boost in the middle from that MBC!
I did CBRD's wga crank trick, but I think I over-did it a little, I did 2.5 turns. I might back it off to 1.5, or recommend that to anyone that does it in the future. The car doesn't knock on that spike at all, and I even see 28psi on the street w/o issue. This almost tells me that the gas is not the problem.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by scheides
BP93 is the best we can get up here
Cry me a river.

- Bryan
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:18 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Cry me a river.

- Bryan
Heh, no crying! I think the stuff is usually great! 28psi on the street on a pretty stock setup, I don't think there's an octane problem!

Once I helped troubleshoot a local's power problems. Stockish IX, he was down like 50whp. We did *everything* trying to find the problem, it lasted several months and dyno sessions. One time he was on E as he started his dyno session, so it was aborted, and he went to fill up. He came back, and bam, up 50whp! He had been getting his gas at Quik Trip (cheapo gas station, but they sell a lot of E85!) and this time had filled up on BP93. In general, it is decent (but not amazing) pump gas. If I could get like E30 with the remaining 70% being BP93, I'd be a happy guy!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 09:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Kind of tuff for us to make suggestions since the dyno you are using may/may not read like others. It's kind of like using a ruler with your own parameter of numbers.

There's no baseline, so we don't have that to compare against.... All we have left is a boost plot and a curve-- the information on the x-axis is rendered useless. (To others that haven't used the dyno at these settings.)

I hope you work out the bugs!!
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E-SPEC@TopLevelPerformance
There's no baseline, so we don't have that to compare against....
He bought the car used so he has some unknowns to deal with. I think the first pull that day was 255 so our tuner did pick some up.

Quick Reply: beaterX, dyno dynamics, 278whp/287wtq, BP93