Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

*** 2011 Evo X GSR Baseline Dyno ***

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I wouldn't say gains are identical, previous year evo with the same mods as I have makes about 10-20whp less on the same dyno...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
I wouldn't say gains are identical, previous year evo with the same mods as I have makes about 10-20whp less on the same dyno...
so what's changed? bigger diameter down pipe? freer flowing exhaust? I am really confused, don't get me wrong I don't mind the extra power since I got myself an 11 Evo on this past Sunday, just curious
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:21 PM
EvoM Guru

honestly, i have no idea what changed... but i looked at a million dyno's at cars with comparable mods to mine before i got it tuned, and i expected to come out with 320-340 based on what everyone else was getting, then i get there and it puts down 318 before the tune... Even Lucas (English) was surprised...
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

honestly, i have no idea what changed... but i looked at a million dyno's at cars with comparable mods to mine before i got it tuned, and i expected to come out with 320-340 based on what everyone else was getting, then i get there and it puts down 318 before the tune... Even Lucas (English) was surprised...
Very interesting
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:14 AM

Himm so if the tuners are surprised as well, why do they not say anything about this? This car has been out for almost 12 months now, and still we don't know if they make more with same mods or not? This is all very weird, and I'm utterly confused

Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Mitsu revised the catback for 2011, that's the only thing I can think of they did that could help performance.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, but I already had an aftermarket exhaust at that time, I got rid of the stocker before I hit 2k miles... One thing I'm pretty sure that changed is the bov, cause didn't the previous years start leaking at 24psi? I'm still on the stock untouched (not crushed or anything) and I'm making 27 psi without issue... So if they changed that and didnt publish it anywhere, it's possible they made other minor changes without publishing...

I should also mention that my tune is a bit on the rich side. I track my car so he gave me a bit more of a safety cushion than a normal street tune... so technically I have another 5-10 whp in it...

Last edited by WarmMilk; Aug 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:41 PM

I read somewhere too that the exhaust on the 2011 is more free flowing and even sounds slightly different. Did Mitsu dial up the boost by even 0.5psi or something? Maybe leaned it out a little more from the factory? My wife loves our 2010 MR on the Stg 1 tune with a HKS Drop in and catback. I'm pretty damned satisfied as well.

I'm lucky to own both 2011 STi and 2010 MR, and yes the EVO X is hands down the better overall performance car out of the box. The stock tune on the STi sucks (it's well accepted at NASIOC) and my car is Cobb Stg 1 as well and that bumpy STi dyno graph is more in line with the EVO X now. Both platforms are very capable tuning platforms, but obviously the EVO X is much easier to extract HP out of.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by njevoxpb
I read somewhere too that the exhaust on the 2011 is more free flowing and even sounds slightly different. Did Mitsu dial up the boost by even 0.5psi or something? Maybe leaned it out a little more from the factory? My wife loves our 2010 MR on the Stg 1 tune with a HKS Drop in and catback. I'm pretty damned satisfied as well.

I'm lucky to own both 2011 STi and 2010 MR, and yes the EVO X is hands down the better overall performance car out of the box. The stock tune on the STi sucks (it's well accepted at NASIOC) and my car is Cobb Stg 1 as well and that bumpy STi dyno graph is more in line with the EVO X now. Both platforms are very capable tuning platforms, but obviously the EVO X is much easier to extract HP out of.
Thats cool and all but why own 2 of essentially the same car?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:51 PM
EvoM Guru

^my sister has an STi... and trust me, the evo and the STi are very very different...
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by njevoxpb
The STi is a great car but it's a pain in the *** to work on. After I helped a friend out with a 20g turbo and injector install, I knew I was done modifying my STi. There is no room to work on anything in that engine bay, and everything seems to be in the way of you accomplishing an install. A turbo inlet install is worse than some forms of torture. I loved my STi, but working in that engine bay was hell. The Evo by comparison is a pleasure to work on.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by linkbeat
The STi is a great car but it's a pain in the *** to work on. After I helped a friend out with a 20g turbo and injector install, I knew I was done modifying my STi. There is no room to work on anything in that engine bay, and everything seems to be in the way of you accomplishing an install. A turbo inlet install is worse than some forms of torture. I loved my STi, but working in that engine bay was hell. The Evo by comparison is a pleasure to work on.
and that's one of the main reasons I traded my 11 STI for an 11 GSR will never go back
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by glamcem
and that's one of the main reasons I traded my 11 STI for an 11 GSR will never go back
I looked at the 11 STI too since it's such a similar platform. After some heavy reading and a test drive of the Evo, the choice was easy.

My main reasons:

1. STI is slower in 1/4 mile and track
2. In my case, the STI would have cost $5000 more than the EVO
3. The pamphlet at Subaru offering a $2000 upgrade for "performance suspension," WTF??? Should have had the stiffer bushings in there from the get go.
4. They were reluctant to let me test drive the STI because they only had one and it was on the showroom.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by gabrod72
I looked at the 11 STI too since it's such a similar platform. After some heavy reading and a test drive of the Evo, the choice was easy.

My main reasons:

1. STI is slower in 1/4 mile and track
2. In my case, the STI would have cost $5000 more than the EVO
3. The pamphlet at Subaru offering a $2000 upgrade for "performance suspension," WTF??? Should have had the stiffer bushings in there from the get go.
4. They were reluctant to let me test drive the STI because they only had one and it was on the showroom.
I think this part is pretty sweet actually... subaru accepts the fact that people will modify their cars... and just for the record, the 2k subaru performance suspension is better than most aftermarket suspension setup's of equal cost... prolly even more cost... I think it'd be cool if mitsu did the same for the Evo...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

I think this part is pretty sweet actually... subaru accepts the fact that people will modify their cars... and just for the record, the 2k subaru performance suspension is better than most aftermarket suspension setup's of equal cost... prolly even more cost... I think it'd be cool if mitsu did the same for the Evo...
Any idea what the suspension is? If they replaced springs with pinks, it would actually be a downgrade from the '11 spec.

Quick Reply: *** 2011 Evo X GSR Baseline Dyno ***