Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

*** 2011 Evo X GSR Baseline Dyno ***

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
I think this part is pretty sweet actually... subaru accepts the fact that people will modify their cars... and just for the record, the 2k subaru performance suspension is better than most aftermarket suspension setup's of equal cost... prolly even more cost... I think it'd be cool if mitsu did the same for the Evo...
even with the revised suspension setup STI still falls behind in the handling department. I guess suspension changes are not enough to keep up with Evo's "light years ahead" AWD system ..
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by linkbeat
Any idea what the suspension is? If they replaced springs with pinks, it would actually be a downgrade from the '11 spec.
not really sure whats all included
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by glamcem
even with the revised suspension setup STI still falls behind in the handling department. I guess suspension changes are not enough to keep up with Evo's "light years ahead" AWD system ..
yeah, I know. My sister has an STi, and i've tracked both... like I said above, the only thing I like more in the sti than the Evo is the transmission... and trunk space...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, I know. My sister has an STi, and i've tracked both... like I said above, the only thing I like more in the sti than the Evo is the transmission... and trunk space...
Interesting.
I like the longer gears on the Evo better since shifting up and down get little annoying with the STI,

but yeah EVO trunk is a joke for sure but since I removed the spare tire and tools I partly solved that problem and created some extra space
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:11 PM
EvoM Guru

I actually like the short / closely spaced gears of the STi, but thats the last thing I like better about its tranny. for me its the fact that its a proven bullet proof tranny from the factory, doesn't need any work or upgrading to do 6k rpm clutch drops and not worry about grenading it... and also the fact that its a 6 speed, in this day and age, if a performance car is a manual, it should be a 6 speed... the short 5th really gets annoying on road trips. its fine at 60-65, but road trip speeds are 75-90+, basically the evo is almost unbearable for more than a couple hours on the highway (especially with my filled front and rear engine mounts).

mitsu tried doing a 6 spd in the IX MR, but that had issues people that road raced it had 4th gear fail on them from overheating. I think TRE came up with a fix, but again, its a fix... the STi 6spd is more or less perfect from the factory...

the trunk is really a very minor issue for me I think its pretty cool that they put the battery and washer tank back there, saves us the trouble... I don't mind giving up some trunk space for that...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:53 PM

When I last looked, the WRX 5 speed and STI 6 speed actually spanned pretty much the same range, meaning WRX 5 speed is almost as tall as STi 6th gear. I would also rather get a 6 speed, but STi's 6th speed does not really help you on the highway.

You're right that EVOs should have come with the upgraded version of previous gen MR's 6 speed, and I wouldn't mind if the 6th gear was overdrive for highway, while the first 5 speeds are appropriately spaced for road-racing. With my Z06, I cruise on the highway at around 1400 RPMs at close to 30 MPG; we're talking about a 500+ HP stock car making 30 MPG; simply amazing.

I actually like the short / closely spaced gears of the STi, but thats the last thing I like better about its tranny. for me its the fact that its a proven bullet proof tranny from the factory, doesn't need any work or upgrading to do 6k rpm clutch drops and not worry about grenading it... and also the fact that its a 6 speed, in this day and age, if a performance car is a manual, it should be a 6 speed... the short 5th really gets annoying on road trips. its fine at 60-65, but road trip speeds are 75-90+, basically the evo is almost unbearable for more than a couple hours on the highway (especially with my filled front and rear engine mounts).

mitsu tried doing a 6 spd in the IX MR, but that had issues people that road raced it had 4th gear fail on them from overheating. I think TRE came up with a fix, but again, its a fix... the STi 6spd is more or less perfect from the factory...

the trunk is really a very minor issue for me I think its pretty cool that they put the battery and washer tank back there, saves us the trouble... I don't mind giving up some trunk space for that...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by oozkarao
When I last looked, the WRX 5 speed and STI 6 speed actually spanned pretty much the same range, meaning WRX 5 speed is almost as tall as STi 6th gear. I would also rather get a 6 speed, but STi's 6th speed does not really help you on the highway.

You're right that EVOs should have come with the upgraded version of previous gen MR's 6 speed, and I wouldn't mind if the 6th gear was overdrive for highway, while the first 5 speeds are appropriately spaced for road-racing. With my Z06, I cruise on the highway at around 1400 RPMs at close to 30 MPG; we're talking about a 500+ HP stock car making 30 MPG; simply amazing.
I was comparing the STi's 6spd to the Evo's 5spd, not the wrx 5spd

but yeah, a closer 5th and an overdrive 6th would be awesome for the evo
Old Sep 1, 2011, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oozkarao

Actually the 6th gear was really nice on the highway, it made a huge difference. And from what I've heard about the VIII/IX 6-speed, it was not a great design to begin with due to space restrictions. Can't say I'd want that design to have carried over into the X.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

STI's 6th gear is definitely not overdrive like Z06 or some other cars, I know since I also used to own a Z06..
I guess the main reason Evo revs higher is because of the engine size, I agree a 6th gear(not like the one in STI but overdrive) would be nice for highway trips
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

^Honestly, I'd even be happy with one like the STi... but like you said, and overdrive gear would be even better...
Old Sep 2, 2011, 08:00 AM

Love the ride and great numbers man
Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by glamcem
and that's one of the main reasons I traded my 11 STI for an 11 GSR will never go back
I'm signing the title over on 05, AW STi and my 11' WW GSR is being delivered this coming week. I'm happy to see you post this
Old Sep 9, 2011, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlade
I'm signing the title over on 05, AW STi and my 11' WW GSR is being delivered this coming week. I'm happy to see you post this
look at my sig

is a lot better car in every aspect in my opinion, more I learn about it more I like it..it was the complete opposite as I mentioned earlier, ..understeer, poor AWD system, popping engines...better late then never