Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

MAP EF2.5 tuned by Cobb Tuning - Plano

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
MAP EF2.5 tuned by Cobb Tuning - Plano

MAP EF2.5 installed and tuned by Cobb yesterday while I was in Austin, TX for an event.

426whp
393wtq
27.69 psig (peak) holding a flat 26 past redline.

Still on 93-octane pump gas and stock cams! Solid gains over the EF2, but definitely lost some spool and response. This is with the 3" anti-surge cover, but MAP also sent me a 3" standard cover so I'm thinking if I swap that one on I'll gain back some spool and response. I'll talk to MAP about it and go from there. The car is definitely a beast for a DD, and I believe this is the farthest Cobb has ever pushed the stock cams and it's getting up there for pump gas numbers too. My previous results on the EF2 were 413/384; peak boost was right about the same, ~27psi. I think this is yet another good turbocharger option from MAP. While not replacing any of the current models, it's a good fit between the EF2 and EF3 as intended.

small chart:

big chart:
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow those are amazing numbers with stock cams.. Can only imagine what you can do with cams and a race gas tune.. Nice Job!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OwnedEvo10
Wow those are amazing numbers with stock cams.. Can only imagine what you can do with cams and a race gas tune.. Nice Job!
That would most likely produce a nice big hole in my block

Cams are always a future possibility, but I love the smooth stock drivability of the stock cams and stock clutch! My car is still a breeze to daily drive and sit in traffic, plus I'm comfortable letting anyone jump in my car and drive it...no special procedures or instructions required. If you can drive a manual transmission, you can drive my car.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are great numbers!

You gotta get me some E85 numbers with this turbo
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alpha X
Those are great numbers!

You gotta get me some E85 numbers with this turbo
Honestly, I think that would be more than the stock guts could handle; probably my fuel system too. I would probably also need a larger than stock MAF housing as well. This turbo easily has 500whp in it with cams and E85; hell, I think I could get 450+ on pump with some cams.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I just got back from a pretty good drive and the car really does rip and pulls hard all the way to rev-limiter! It drives really smooth throughout the RPM range, I'm giving thanks to the anti-surge for that. I would like to get a touch of response and spool back though, so I'm thinking it would be ideal to give up a bit of that smoothness in the name of response and swap over to the standard cover. I'm questioning whether this turbo actually needs the anti-surge ports.

It was tuned to the same safe level as my EF2, neither were held back, but neither were pushed to the absolute edge in order to keep the car safe and reliable on a daily-basis. The power curve is definitely different, once the turbo spools there were torque and horsepower gains throughout. This turbo should easily be capable of 400+ on 91-octane.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Very nice!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Honestly, I think that would be more than the stock guts could handle; probably my fuel system too. I would probably also need a larger than stock MAF housing as well. This turbo easily has 500whp in it with cams and E85; hell, I think I could get 450+ on pump with some cams.
Oh I didn't know you were on stock fuel system

I have MAPs 1000cc injectors. Have them send you a set and a fuel pump

Btw are you selling or did you sell your EF2?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

I have ID1000 injectors and Cobb's Walbro 255HP pump kit, but I doubt the 255 can supply enough fuel to max this turbo out on E85.

I do plan to sell my EF2, yes. It's currently boxed up sitting in my garage along with my standard Cobb turbo inlet tube. Want it?

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

I have ID1000 injectors and Cobb's Walbro 255HP pump kit, but I doubt the 255 can supply enough fuel for this turbo on E85.

I do plan to sell my EF2, yes. It's currently boxed up sitting in my garage along with my standard Cobb turbo inlet tube. Want it?
PM me price and details please!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

PM sent
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:07 AM

I have ID1000 injectors and Cobb's Walbro 255HP pump kit, but I doubt the 255 can supply enough fuel to max this turbo out on E85.

Kracka, I've been following your EF2 build since the beginning. PM me price and details too, please, in case deal with alphaX doesn't go through. Thanks
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Done
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:17 PM

That would most likely produce a nice big hole in my block

Cams are always a future possibility, but I love the smooth stock drivability of the stock cams and stock clutch! My car is still a breeze to daily drive and sit in traffic, plus I'm comfortable letting anyone jump in my car and drive it...no special procedures or instructions required. If you can drive a manual transmission, you can drive my car.
I concur, your on what i belive is the safe side of the limit for our stock bottom ends. its too bad mitsu shafted us like that, look at the srt-4 bottom end stock capable of 600+ hp and we get geo metro rods for ours thanks mitsu
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
the non-shrouded compressor cover will not ad any response. that shrouded cover is just for looks. that design is a poor design. doesn't ad anything to the performance of the turbo. will not stop surge either.

bullet whole covers don't work. the air that escapes compression must freely flow up through the cover. small bullet wholes are just too restrictive. they don't flow the necessary air to relieve surge.

I have tested back to back the precision bullet whole cover against a standard cover. the cover did nothing to stop the surge I had at the time. FP design surge port stopped surge dead cold. don't know why so many turbo suppliers keep producing this style surge cover???

Quick Reply: MAP EF2.5 tuned by Cobb Tuning - Plano