Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

2012 Evo X GSR tuned by Chris at Moore Automotive

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
RAI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Evo X GSR tuned by Chris at Moore Automotive

TL;DR at bottom

First off, I'd like to start by recommending Moore to ANYONE who needs a tune. Chris is a great guy and everybody at Moore Automotive took really good care of me.

Anyway, on to the story. I called Moore Automotive on Saturday the 15th to ask if they would trade my Cobb AP (piece of junk!) for an open source flash. I was told that they can't make any decisions without the boss, and that to call back Monday. I called back Monday morning about the possibility of getting a tune that day because of how last minute my decision for a flash tune was. I had to go on leave on the morning of the 18th (Tuesday), but Moore Automotive was kind enough to squeeze me in.

Anyway, instead of trading the Cobb, I decided to pay cash. I got to Moore Automotive around 2, a full hour before the time I was told to be there. I exchanged greetings with everyone there and waited around for Chris to be done with a Mazdaspeed 3. Once he got the Mazda off the dyno, he quickly pulled my car up and started cranking on it. I decided to go for a 3-port boost solenoid under Chris's recommendation, and I have absolutely no regrets.

At the time of my baseline pull, I had the following mods:
Invidia Q300 catback
UR muffled test pipe with O2 defouler
Perrin Boost Tube kit
WORKS drop-in filter
3-port boost solenoid
Stock tune (Cobb unmarried)

At the final run, I had the same mods except for the Moore Automotive in-house intake (with velocity stack!).

The car pulled 285 hp/284.67 ft-lbs. I was actually surprised at how much power it made. I guess Mitsu really has improved on their tunes over the years.

Chris always makes maps from scratch instead of using a pre-made timing map or fuel map, which I liked. Every car IS different, no matter how subtle the differences are.

6 o'clock rolled around (about 8 pulls later), and I came to the conclusion that I needed an intake. As bad as I felt for Chris for having to retune, he was all for the idea. He threw on their in-house intake and made everything work with the Perrin kit's BOV hose relocation. After rescaling for the bigger MAF housing, Chris started working his magic again. After 7 more pulls and a few hours later (it was around 10 pm), I told Chris that I am satisfied with where the car was. I was actually surprised that not only did Chris stay after hours to work on my car without rushing ANYTHING, but he seemed like he wanted to do a few more pulls to squeeze more power out.

At the end of the day, I made 340 hp/375 ft-lbs. I seem to have the 2012 virus, but I'm satisfied because Chris turned my BPU car into a torque monster. I made more torque than my buddy's 2012 Boss 302 Mustang, with 3 less liters and 4 less cylinders. On the streets, boost comes on way quicker and there's much more torque. The car is not fast by any means, but as a DD/street car, she is tremendously fun.

I highly recommend Moore Automotive. As a previous twin turbo 3000GT/Stealth owner that has gone through a spun bearing rebuild, I'm not completely ignorant on how cars work. Moore Automotive took very, VERY good care of me (on such short notice, too), and I HIGHLY recommend them for anything. It's hard to find such an honest shop these days that does great work. They are also very military friendly

One last thing: the pulls were done on the Dynojet with the all wheel locking pins inserted. I saw Chris put them in myself.

TL;DR Go get a tune from Moore Automotive. You'd be an idiot not to.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

nice torque
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:26 PM

looks good. its encouraging to hear he builds every map from scratch.

what are yours/his thoughs on running that much boost on the stock X turbo/motor?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you for the kind words Harry! Very glad you're happy with how it turned out, and thank you for making the trip down! No problem at all staying late, I genuinely love doing this so it's not work at all for me, lol! This was the first 2012 that I had issues getting power out of, so there might be some variance somewhere (I'm thinking it's the cams or the head since it seems to affect top end flow and power).

I've had no issues running 28psi on the stock turbo/engine. It's only peaks it for about 1000rpm before it starts tapering due to flow restriction through the turbine. I ran that much on mine (and every one I tune) for a while and never had issues. If it's tuned correctly it won't be a problem

~Chris@MooreAutomotive
Tuner/Master Technician