Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Installed Focal Components

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice sub. It looks good. Clean looking. I like the choice of audio equipment!
What did you have to do to make the sub fit? Did you refiberglass the entire enclosure? Is the sub running off the stock amp?

Last edited by Red Dragon; May 4, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old May 5, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
What did you have to do to make the sub fit? Did you refiberglass the entire enclosure? Is the sub running off the stock amp?

To make the sub fit I grinded down the raised mount inside the stock enclosure. I then sealed up the hole which was left over. The sub is running of channels 3 and 4 of the JL 300/4. Fronts are off 1 and 2. To put a more powerful sub (anything with a larger depth), you will need to extend the front. My 10w3 did not fit and needed another 1/2 inch. Possibly an MDF ring would work, but airspace is already non-existent in the enclosure.
Old May 5, 2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jasil
Similiar setup to what I'll be putting in next week.

880 PRS
4 Boston PRO60's
1 JLW6 wired 2ohms
RF Power1000 5 ch.
Dynomat doors/trunk

Should sound nice!!
Yea, It will sound nice. The pros are great speakers too, I think that they carry a little more mid bass in the woofers than the Z series. GL
Old May 5, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrdecibel
To make the sub fit I grinded down the raised mount inside the stock enclosure. I then sealed up the hole which was left over. The sub is running of channels 3 and 4 of the JL 300/4. Fronts are off 1 and 2. To put a more powerful sub (anything with a larger depth), you will need to extend the front. My 10w3 did not fit and needed another 1/2 inch. Possibly an MDF ring would work, but airspace is already non-existent in the enclosure.
Great updated. I like like it alot more, the new amp location give it a a very clean
look. same with the grill over the JL. I might just pick up the Factory grill for my JL W6.
Old May 5, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

good work! I love my focal polyglass components...

hint: focals LOVE zapco amps

it's not just how much power you give them, it's how clean that power is.
Old May 5, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Zapco is still around after all these years????
Old May 5, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrdecibel
Zapco is still around after all these years????
Yea they are still around, but expensive as hell, $1000 to $4000 no thanks.
Remember Macintosh car amps? I think there are still around, but im sure they are price the same as Zapcos. The high end Amp SQ peeps seem to like right now is
Audison Amps, they are price more then the JL, But less then the Zapco
Old May 6, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

that's interesting since I got my used zapco amp from a guy upgrading to audison.
I believe my zapco 2 channel was $750 retail.

every good brand tends to have a good value spot in their lineup. I like zapco's lower to mid range offerings, but I don't think it's worth the money for their high end stuff. I don't like audison's cheap stuff. Macintosh is still good stuff, but more expensive than either. JL makes a great sub amp, but I wouldn't even get that since elemental designs sells a great amp for less money. I do love JL subs, I use a 12w6v2.

Last edited by theblue; May 6, 2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old May 6, 2008, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by theblue
that's interesting since I got my used zapco amp from a guy upgrading to audison.
I believe my zapco 2 channel was $750 retail.

every good brand tends to have a good value spot in their lineup. I like zapco's lower to mid range offerings, but I don't think it's worth the money for their high end stuff. I don't like audison's cheap stuff. Macintosh is still good stuff, but more expensive than either. JL makes a great sub amp, but I wouldn't even get that since elemental designs sells a great amp for less money. I do love JL subs, I use a 12w6v2.
You are dam right about their high end stuff, since we are talking SQ yea im talking about the newer Zapco Competition line price is just insane, 2x50 Watts 4 ohms is like $800 retail. Mono amp is like $3000 retail. But their Reference line of amp sits inline with the JL amp in price, but has better SQ.

You think Audison's amp looks cheap? I don’t know maybe its just me, but with the cover off them amp, they look very nice, but Audison seem to have great review in car audio magazine’s. I personally never own one or use one before, But consider getting one to replace my JL setup. They cheaply made qulity? or just looks cheap in price.Cheap looking.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:01 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
mrdecibel,

You are the freaking man! That install is so clean. I would LOVE to hear your setup now, I bet it is sinister. And I bet it didn't cost much.

I would like to try the upgrade with the stock head after seeing this, but that birds nest of wiring scares me.

Does the stock amp still control your rear door speakers?
Old May 6, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thuan
You think Audison's amp looks cheap?
not at all, I like how they look... I meant I don't like the cheaper amps in their lineup.
Old May 6, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
mrdecibel,

You are the freaking man! That install is so clean. I would LOVE to hear your setup now, I bet it is sinister. And I bet it didn't cost much.

I would like to try the upgrade with the stock head after seeing this, but that birds nest of wiring scares me.

Does the stock amp still control your rear door speakers?
I was using the stock amp to drive the rears, but once I tried tapping into the low level outputs from the head unit, I got a lot of strange noise/feedback. So for right now I have the stock amp disconnected and no rears.

Even though I am using a JL W0 series subwoofer, I am developing new noises due to expanded frequency range and output of the sub. So more sound deadening it is!
Old May 6, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

I don't believe in rear speakers... it's only 2 channel audio. spend twice and much on amp/speakers upfront.
Old May 7, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I have a JL 500/5 sitting in my garage looking for a place to go, but it is a big sucker. Would probably work well in this particular application though. Have any of you tried to put any power to the stock sub or do you think that it will just not handle it? I will buy an Evo with the nav so I too am hoping that Metra comes out with a solution allowing me to utilise the stock head and be able to control everything.
Old May 8, 2008, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by USP45
Well I have a JL 500/5 sitting in my garage looking for a place to go, but it is a big sucker. Would probably work well in this particular application though. Have any of you tried to put any power to the stock sub or do you think that it will just not handle it? I will buy an Evo with the nav so I too am hoping that Metra comes out with a solution allowing me to utilise the stock head and be able to control everything.
I was previously using the stock sub with the rear channel of the JL amp. It made a significant difference in sound when giving it power.

Quick Reply: Installed Focal Components