Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

EVO X CarPuter

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evo4mad
What features of the PC do you like over the PocketPC? I was thinking of doing an in carPC setup like this, but after I added up all the cost of a carPC it got to over a $1200 to make one. i have all the parts to make a carPC, I have a miniATX board and power supply, I have a 3.5" laptop harddrive with an adapter cable, the laptop hdd should be good enough for the movement of the car. but the SSD drive sounds like a good idea if I want more space. Yeah you can hack any winCE device to get back to the desktop. My pocketpc can take 8Gb of movies and music. sdcards are small enough to carry between my inside PC or I can connect via bluetooth to download music off my home PC.
I used Windows XP Embedded. I was able to customize it more and there is better driver support with devices than CE/PocketPC/Mobile. I do a lot of ROM development between Windows Mobile 6 and XPe and XPe just gave me bette flexibility for anything I want to do in the future.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 05:33 PM

how long is your start up time and are there any problems with overheating?

very nice set-up, i always wanted to do this for my car
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@%^&^ You stole my Idea, even down to using Centrafuse and the DVD location!

Looks great though. very nice.

I'm in the middle of installing the 8" Lilliput widescreen from MP3car behind the same schoche dash piece. I'm building the Atom setup from Mo-co-so.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

Supreme X,
Have you tried using the spaceNavigator as a remote control yet. It is very nice to use wile driving I understand. Also what did you use to mount the DVD drive under the HVAC controls? Double sided tape?

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2008, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by strife
Supreme X,
Have you tried using the spaceNavigator as a remote control yet. It is very nice to use wile driving I understand. Also what did you use to mount the DVD drive under the HVAC controls? Double sided tape?

Thanks
Yeah, double sided 3M tape and no I haven't used spaceNavigator yet. I will check into it.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

that spaceNavigator is HUGE! I don't know if I can mount that and it not be an eye sore.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SupremeX
Yeah I was originally looking into your product but in the end, I wanted it to do much more and be more integrated. You have a really great product there. Kudos!!!

Since EVOScan will run on Windows CE, I think I am going to see if I can get it to run on my wife's AVIC-F90BT. They run Windows CE and there is a hack to get into the main OS. I like to tinker .
If you could get it running on the F90, I would VERY much like to know how. I don't even have an AVIC yet, but it's on the top of my list. Having EvoScan running on it would definitely push me over the edge.

Awesome setup.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 07:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Whats an F90? whats an AVIC?
why would you need them? what purpose do they serve?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Whats an F90? whats an AVIC?
why would you need them? what purpose do they serve?
Here is the AVIC-F90BT we are talking about.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ash/AVIC-F90BT
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

oh its just a car stereo, you can get those 7" ones from china or ebay for $250
Has no obdII, no telemetry, nor logging, nor reprogramming features. just gps / fm / mp3 /dvd / video in.

Last edited by evo4mad; Dec 15, 2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

oh its just a car stereo, you can get those 7" ones from china or ebay for $250
Has no obdII, no telemetry, nor logging, nor reprogramming features. just gps / fm / mp3 /dvd / video in.
But it is running Windows CE and you can get access to the base OS so there are a ton of reprogramming features . Add your software and a cable and there you go!!!! IT accepts SD cards and has an integrated 32 GB of flash in it plus the USB port in the back and unlike those cheapo models from China, this has 4V preamp outputs, plus the screen is sunlight readable.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

notice they hide alll the juicey details, what cpu model and what cpu speed is being used. looks like a good possibility, I'll look into it.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

push buttons

If anyone is interested in knowing what the push buttons look like behind your stock head unit heres an image.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...9440068473.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...9440070043.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...9440067951.jpg

Ok so heres the plan.

I will use the stock headunit, RF System to run audio through my AUX output from my computer.

I have two options a carputer with a lilliput touchscreen 7" which i already own or an HTC Shift computer custom mounted straight into the dash (has touchscreen and vista on it already) which I also already own

The shift computer is 8.15" x 5.08" x 0.98",
where as my screen is W 7 3/4" X H 4 1/2" X D 1 3/8"

So were looking at .4" Wider and .58" taller but .4" less in depth.
I am not sure what the maximum dimensions are for our din but there is a possibility of custom mounting the PC straight into the dash.

Either way I will take out the circuit boards from the stock headunit and have them mounted down behind the AC controls along with the headunit (as another member has already proven works) and hardwire 2 push buttons, one to Power and the other to the CD button to turn on auxiliary.

If i ever have to disconnect my battery I will have to go in and change my settings back but it wont be too difficult because everything is going to be mounted so i will just need to remove my scosche dash kit and turn the potentiometer (controls volume and the other knob for tuning etc..) to the settings I need (LCD will remain in car also).

The htc shift has one usb 2.0 slot that will run to a usb 2.0 hub to connect the dvd drive i bought, a gps, and a external hdd.

I am not sure how this will all work but this is the plan I will update on my own post in the lancer forums.

Just thought Id share the pictures with the Evo x guys !
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
So were looking at .4" Wider and .58" taller but .4" less in depth.
I am not sure what the maximum dimensions are for our din but there is a possibility of custom mounting the PC straight into the dash.
Yes you can fit the full computer back there. Depth is really deep. I looked into doing everything in the dash, but depending upon how powerful you need the system, you run into MAJOR space issues. If I wanted a more simplistic system with less features, then I would have had no issue mounting the full thing in the dash.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SupremeX
Yes you can fit the full computer back there. Depth is really deep. I looked into doing everything in the dash, but depending upon how powerful you need the system, you run into MAJOR space issues. If I wanted a more simplistic system with less features, then I would have had no issue mounting the full thing in the dash.
Yea I can see that being a problem, I opted out and just mounted the touchscreen behind the scosche dash kit (will have pics up in lancer audio forum later) and it basically looks exactly like yours.

It was hard to get the screen mounted with out the .5"-1" gap at the bottom (since the angle of the scosche kit) but with patience and time I was able to mount it like a pro.

Quick Reply: EVO X CarPuter