Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Fitting aftermarket sub in stock location?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fitting aftermarket sub in stock location?

What are the best options here? My audio upgrades are going to be a new headunit and a new amp/sub but I dont want a full box sitting in the trunk, I definately want to use the stock location but if I could use the same box that the stock sub is in that would make things that much easier. I know its a pretty narrow fit but are there any high end aftermarket 10" subs that will fit in there? I prefer JL but i'll go with Alpine or something like that if they are smaller. I understand that im ignoring specific cubic foot recomended specs for the speakers. Has anybody done anything like this?
Old May 18, 2009, 08:32 AM

i believe the JL 10w1 will fit/have the recommended airspace.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:35 AM

Really, hmm i'll look into that, I actually have a 12w1 sitting in my garage which sounded more than decent. I just would love to avoid having a custom box built.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Just be careful. The stock box is really weak plastic. I went with the Rockford P3 shallow sub. Fits great, with the recomended airspace. But the holes don't line up with the enclosure so I figured I'd just use new screws into new holes. Well the plastic ring is like 1/8" thick and just cracks easily. So I had to take the whole box apart and use some bondo to fix it from the rear.

So basically make sure the aftermarket sub's screw holes line up with the factory box, or be prepared to reinforce the box a litle bit.

Good luck, and you will be happy with the improved sound. I've only got about 100 watts running my sub right now, but it's WAY better than the stock sub.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by c_reber
Just be careful. The stock box is really weak plastic. I went with the Rockford P3 shallow sub. Fits great, with the recomended airspace. But the holes don't line up with the enclosure so I figured I'd just use new screws into new holes. Well the plastic ring is like 1/8" thick and just cracks easily. So I had to take the whole box apart and use some bondo to fix it from the rear.

So basically make sure the aftermarket sub's screw holes line up with the factory box, or be prepared to reinforce the box a litle bit.

Good luck, and you will be happy with the improved sound. I've only got about 100 watts running my sub right now, but it's WAY better than the stock sub.
Good point, i'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedlineX79
What are the best options here? My audio upgrades are going to be a new headunit and a new amp/sub but I dont want a full box sitting in the trunk, I definately want to use the stock location but if I could use the same box that the stock sub is in that would make things that much easier. I know its a pretty narrow fit but are there any high end aftermarket 10" subs that will fit in there? I prefer JL but i'll go with Alpine or something like that if they are smaller. I understand that im ignoring specific cubic foot recomended specs for the speakers. Has anybody done anything like this?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...x-finally.html
Old May 19, 2009, 10:38 AM

Yea i've seen that thread. I'm sure I could have something similiar done but im really trying to avoid it. I don't need stupid rediculous bass, i just need a good deal more than stock which should be possible with a simple small speaker upgrade.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:48 AM

I should have asked this in the first place but does anybody know the maximum speaker depth that can be mounted in the stock enclosure?
Old May 19, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Lightbulb Go all in

...I just would love to avoid having a custom box built.
If you've got the money there are ways to get better sound and deeper base out of your stock component fitments.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p4967/RB16...ent-System.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p1164/165K...Components.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5546/Esot...t-Speakers.htm

Get a good amp to power these speakers and maybe even replace the rears with a larger set for sub-level frequencies. Safe space, save weight, and get better quality sound.
Old May 19, 2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by MrMeaner
If you've got the money there are ways to get better sound and deeper base out of your stock component fitments.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p4967/RB16...ent-System.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p1164/165K...Components.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5546/Esot...t-Speakers.htm

Get a good amp to power these speakers and maybe even replace the rears with a larger set for sub-level frequencies. Safe space, save weight, and get better quality sound.
My plan of attack for the internals is simply to add a nice Alpine unit up front. I am betting that the stock speakers will sing with Alpine power pushing them. Then if I upgrade the sub I should get a nice clean balanced sound. Only if after I get the Alpine unit in there and the speakers still sounded like crap would I look into upgrading the interiors.

This was my setup on my last car, I had the Alpine IVA-W205 and it made my stock interior speakers sound amazing, literally. I added a JL 12" with an Alpine mono sub amp and the sound was spectacular. The shop that installed it was really impressed with the sound quality, as was I when they showed me.

Same plan of attack for the Evo. The only problem is I refuse to just have a regular box sitting in the trunk, i need to figure out a way to get a better sub in that corner.
Old May 19, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea i've seen that thread. I'm sure I could have something similiar done but im really trying to avoid it. I don't need stupid rediculous bass, i just need a good deal more than stock which should be possible with a simple small speaker upgrade.
My bass is far from ridiculous (and I know what you mean by ridiculous). In fact, with the 150W to each door speaker, my bass is almost weak. I'm running 1 JL 10W6v2 on a 600W Alpine amp. If I had to do over again I would go with a 12W6v2 and a 1000W amp. The thick back seat cushion really deadens the bass. I think you will be hard pressed to get noticeably better bass using the factory subwoofer box. Good luck.
Old May 19, 2009, 08:36 PM

What is the actual airspace in the stock enclosure?
Old May 20, 2009, 12:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by salukidude
My bass is far from ridiculous (and I know what you mean by ridiculous). In fact, with the 150W to each door speaker, my bass is almost weak. I'm running 1 JL 10W6v2 on a 600W Alpine amp. If I had to do over again I would go with a 12W6v2 and a 1000W amp. The thick back seat cushion really deadens the bass. I think you will be hard pressed to get noticeably better bass using the factory subwoofer box. Good luck.

I would have to agree. I have a JL 10W7 with a 500 watt monoblock amp, and I really wish that I would have gone with a 12.
Old May 20, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thevidon
What is the actual airspace in the stock enclosure?
I asked the same question on the RF website forums and someone there told me (IIRC) 0.7 cu ft.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by c_reber
I asked the same question on the RF website forums and someone there told me (IIRC) 0.7 cu ft.
What is the stock RMS wattage going to the sub? I may have the perfect replacement.....

Last edited by thevidon; May 20, 2009 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Fitting aftermarket sub in stock location?