Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Another AVIC F install w/ Scosche dash *pics*

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heavyD
I don't want to sidetrack this thread but the materials you are talking about in newer cars are not vinyl on the dash. Vinyl is being phased out because it's toxic and not environmentally friendly. The new hard plastic interiors you see in most new cars are made to last longer and are easily recycled. You noted an Acura and a 370Z which are both cars not based on an economy car platform. Yes they use soft-touch synthetics (not vinyl) but they are both cars that were designed for up-level segments. Sit in the new STi and you there's even more hard plastics. It's just the way it is now in the automobile industry as even Audi is using the hard plastic dashes in cars like the A3 and A4. Eco friendly engines, hard interior plastics, water based paints. They all suck if you are an enthusiast but that's the way it is. The EVO interior certainly doesnt evoke vibes of luxury or quality but if that's what you are looking for the EVO is the wrong car for you in the first place. Personally I think it's miles better than the last generation of Lancers and in line with interiors of similar cars such as the Corolla, Imprezza, Sentra, etc.

BTW: I have sat in a 370Z and to me it's a mixed bag. It's an improvement over the 350Z and the soft touch plastics are a nice touch but the insturment cluster looks terribly cheap as I can't stand the gaudy silver plastic.
Whatever it is, it's softer, nicer to touch, and nicer to look at than hard plastic. It'd be hard for something to have much less hard plastic than the X, since all the X has is hard plastic. The only thing that's not (not including the seats) is the fake suede on the door panels. Yeah the TSX is a "luruxy" car, but it was still $10,000 less than my X. I said above that I didn't buy an X for its interior, this is true, but i also almost didn't buy an X because of it's interior as well.

Comparing the Subaru - a guy that works with me just bought an 09 WRX, and I'd say the interior is a lot better than th X. Sure there's some hard plastic, but it doesn't look nearly as cheap... and it doesn't have those horrid looking fake carbon fiber trim pieces either. If the new STIs didn't have problems with blowing ring lands and cracking pistons, I may have gotten one.
Old May 29, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey i dont know if these has been discuss...but how hard is it to hack the "watch while you drive feature"? im just a click a way from buying one, unless someone has another good unit out there.
Old May 29, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Easy. Its on AVIC411.com as well.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

i see. thanks. so the bt and navi works great?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Does this kit's color differ slightly from the factory dash? The kit looks really good but the picture makes it seem like it's a slightly different shade than the rest of the dash.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

^ It doesnt match 100%. You can tell if you really look close and know what you have changed. Its the best so far compared to the OEM 2 din dash. It all depends on the quality of the plastic.

Without modding your Pioneer you can run the hand brake switch into the glove box and switch it manually. This prevents voiding your warranty.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

You don't need to make a switch.. you just do the hardware mod on the cable harness.

Tutorial: http://avic411.com/wiki/index.php/Hand_Brake_Bypass
Old Jun 1, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ That's what I did as well.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

hey sorry for a noob question but does it come with all the harness? or is the harness separate? if so where can i get it? looks like its a simple install, plug-n-play?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 05:16 AM

i was also curious to the comment above me ( im going for the same exact setup ) also the scorche kit will fit the same into a 09 ralliart right? lemme know asap!! ( send a PM ) Thanks!!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 08:27 AM

^^^ i put the Scoshe Kit in the RA and it was great fit..with a little gap on the top but not nearly that noticeable.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 02:44 PM

sick man, thanks for the help, im prolly getting my ralliart this weekend. i found a web site saying the sell avic f90bt pioneer for 620$ then i was like eh it might not be legit i odnt wanna get scammed, web site did look official so i hit contact and it showed up with 2 adresses and a pic and the place is 30 minutes from my house!!! pretty nice how that works out, cant wait to have this same layout in my car
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:51 AM

looks really good
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Stay away from the metra kit! Oh my god nothing fits! I got the kit before the scosche came out so now I have to wait for my scoche. But the head unit itself is badass for the price
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

great writeup and great pics. sick icons on the menu too. Seeing this is making me thing about selling my D3 and picking up one of these

Quick Reply: Another AVIC F install w/ Scosche dash *pics*