Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Custom sub box behind seat?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2010, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom sub box behind seat?

I have searched and found that everyone that makes a fiberglass sub box makes it in the space located to the left of the trunk, like the box that "Wicked C.A.S." makes. Don't get me wrong, this is a well made box for people that want to still see the sub. I am curious if anyone has thought of making a sub box in the space between the back of the seat and plastic in the front of the trunk?

I am thinking of relocating the washer fluid system to the spot that is used in the ralliarts, its up in the front passenger fender I believe. I know the wiring harness for the washer fluid motor will need to be located somewhere in the front part of the car to run the new motor in the new jug. The pump outlet hose will be the easier part to run to the squirters.

Now with that jug gone it frees up some room, I was also thinking of relocating the module that is in the top center of the trunk to the left or side of the trunk. Moving this sensor will allow the box to be made taller. If someone wanted to make a box a little larger they probably could buy a sealed battery and mount it sideways near the stock location.

I am after a box for a 10'' sub that is located in a spot that is not visible and does not use any of the room that is available in the trunk. The evo x trunk is small enough as it is and I don't like the idea of using the space on the left side or removing the spare tire and using that area.

Has anyone tried something like this? I am going to seriously think of trying this in the next month or so, if and when I do I will take pictures and post up the progress.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:15 PM

Your battery should already be sealed, it is in the cab with you. You can put a red top anywhere I think, and in any position. Get it done, I would like to see it. There is nice build (2 12"rainbow subs) on this site somewhere that does remove spare and has a good bit of trunk left.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:03 AM

I'm interested as to whether this will work for you. I don't want to take up any of my trunk either.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:18 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
You may need to ditch the factory plastic. I'd hate to have a sub in it due to the rattles that would be cause.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:05 PM

I'm sure you'd gain space in the truck, but it almost sounds like more work than its worth.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:36 PM

I was planning on removing the rear seat back to gain access and see how much of it can be done with fiberglass, I am not too sure yet on how to make the rear section of the box but will not use the oem plastic as part of the box (it will just be a cover). The front part and most likely the sides will be wood. I am thinking of making it so the if the box has to be removed it can be tilted down and back from the top and pull out. Maybe bolting it to the cross braces behind the seat or to the top of the trunk some how.

I have to wait until the begining of october when I get home again to start it.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to try to fit a bunch of stuff in my trunk, but my main concern is when the vibrations work a tail light bulb free and I get pulled over while I am high as ****.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jackal5555
I'm sure you'd gain space in the truck, but it almost sounds like more work than its worth.

I dont mind odd projects. I like to be different then the norm, thats one reason I made my colt awd with gobs of power It will take a while though, I am not home very often haha.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:22 AM

The ralliart washer fluid jug is larger than I thought and wont fit in the fender because of the cooler that we have stuffed in there. So I am still going forward with the project and I am going to make a cardboard prototype for a washer fluid jug in a close to stock position, just going to utilize more of the large empty space between the shock tower area and the back of the seat. After that I will be fabbing up a custom aluminum jug, hoping to hold about 5 liters of fluid. Going to design it so I can still fill it up using the oem fill location.

Also tossed around the idea of trying to make the jug low enough to fit a optima red top battery sideways on top of it and allowing the sub box to extend towards the passenger side instead. The oem battery is not able to mount in any other position than the stock position. There is a vent line on it, which means its not sealed and acid can come out .
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:22 AM

<i>"I am curious if anyone has thought of making a sub box in the space between the back of the seat and plastic in the front of the trunk?"</i>
Before you go too far with your plans, pull the four clips and take off the plastic divider. I think you'll be surprised at how little room there is there. If you're using wood all of the little spaces will go to waste, but if you're adept at fiberglass'ing you can use a bunch of the odd nooks in there (around the various bars and boxes and whatnot). Good luck. I took a look at it and decided that making a little box in the shape of the cubby bin on the left side beside the spare tire would be far easier. So I did that. 'Cause I'm lazy. Also, being hunched over in the trunk, breathing delightful resin fumes for hours and hours just to make a box fails to appeal to me.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:14 AM

Yeah I know there is not much for space in there, thats why I had the plan of moving the washer fluid tank or the battery. Once one of them are gone there should be enough volume available in there, and at the narrowest part it is deep enough for my 10 to fit. I am going to work on it more this weekend after I get the deer issue sorted out with the car .
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:59 AM

It took a while for me to decide on what I wanted. At first I wanted to swap the two jl 13w3s and apline pdx 600 from my civic and use two fiberglass enclosures. Then I was thinking for the price of the fiberglass, I could buy a 13w6 and go with a wooden box. Last night I finally decided on two 10w7s and ordered them. My long time friend works at the shop I go to that is literally 7 minutes away form my house and will just let them figure out how to make it fit. I can do a lot of the install, but it would just take me forever... I am no pro.

Anyways, I am curious as to where everything will end up lol I mean I have two alpine pdx 4 channel amps (the new stackable small ones), a sound stream 20 farad cap (which is bigger than one of the alpine amps), 2 10w7s, and JL 1000 mono block amp
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

^ Ditch the spare tire and just carry a Fix-a-flat can.

Plenty of room afterwards.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:46 PM

Well, I removed the rear seat and started construction of the new washer fluid container. Two attempts later and a few hours I had something that I was happy with (other than cardboard doesnt hold fuild well haha). Its held in by two of the three stock mounting bolts.

Fits behind the stock access plate:

With the rear panel removed:

View from the front:

The stock one is bolted back in so I can still drive the car, already getting frost on the windows in the wee hours of the mornings here. The cardboard one is down at the shop and should be done when I get back from work next time. The new filler should be in by then too.

Now in that last picture you can kinda see the washer fluid line located between the two braces, its near the bottom of the braces. It comes off the stock tank and splits into two lines, then less than 4 inches later they join back into one line. Anybody have any ideas on why in the world they designed it like that? Seems kinda pointless to me.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:34 PM

New filler cap came in last week for the washer fluid container - it should be done by the 15th (when I am home next). Almost done with the new battery mount, ran out of gas in the welder making the rear tie down mount. The Optima red top battery will sit on its small edge, terminals facing the middle of the car. It barely fits, rubbing on the plastic panel and 1/4'' from the one cross brace. Measured up the space left behind the battery (and further to the fender) and the JL Audio XD400/4 amplifier will fit with dimensions of 8.5x8x2. All of the connections are out the one side, which is awesome.

The amp is a little small on the power side to feed my sub, but thats ok, I dont need the sub going full out and pounding on the seat. My old sub from my old car is an Audiobahn AW1000Q. I cut a piece of 3/4'' MDF, attached it to the braces and put the back part of the rear seat in. The seat still clips in and bolts down with no issues, leaving about 1.5'' of space to the cloth behind the arm rest piece. The amp will be mounted on the lower corner of this MDF behind the battery.

The wireless receiver will be moved over a few inches onto the OEM mount for the top of the washer fluid jug, this will allow me to cut the original mounting tab off and making the box a little bit taller. Sorry for no pictures, my forgot my camera up at work last week. I will take some when I am back next week with the new jug mounted and hopefully the new battery mounted too.

- Joe

Quick Reply: Custom sub box behind seat?