Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

OEM Navigation or aftermarket...best way to go about it.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Navigation or aftermarket...best way to go about it.

Hey guys, I didn't get the OEM Navigation package when I bought my 2011 evo MR, but the more I see it, the more I want to put one in. I've been doing research and checking prices on ebay, mitsubishiparts.net, mitsubishiworld.net, etc. I've also thought of bringing it back to the dealer to install or even install myself which i've read could be pretty easy if I have all the right parts and disc.

I was just wondering if anybody installed a stock navi on their evo and how they went about it. recommend any sponsors or website to buy it from...or should i take back to the dealer for the install.

I know i should of installed when I bought it, but it didn't work out with our budget. now i'll pay for that I understand...thanks in advance.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:43 AM

installation of the navi unit is in the How-To section of the forums

as for the navi, I, too, looked at getting one since i didn't have it installed when i bought my evo. My friend though, warned me against it, apparently the POI on the mitsu navi vs garmin (for example) is severly lacking. Besides the fact that the garmin is only a few hundred bucks and has more POI and is updateable really easily, I would just go with that. now if you want to rip music off your cds onto the HDD thats on the navi go for it, but thats what an iPod is for.

Garmin + iPod < Mitsu Navi system
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by talon101
installation of the navi unit is in the How-To section of the forums

as for the navi, I, too, looked at getting one since i didn't have it installed when i bought my evo. My friend though, warned me against it, apparently the POI on the mitsu navi vs garmin (for example) is severly lacking. Besides the fact that the garmin is only a few hundred bucks and has more POI and is updateable really easily, I would just go with that. now if you want to rip music off your cds onto the HDD thats on the navi go for it, but thats what an iPod is for.

Garmin + iPod < Mitsu Navi system
Thanks for the reply. I was also looking towards that direction. And I've heard of the issue's when installing oem navi myself, vs dealer. The only thing is that I wanted to keep a clean simple look. So i know it would be cheaper to get an aftermarket navi and just stick it to the windshield...but are there good and comparable alternatives to the oem one. I saw a pioneer in-dash navi but it didn't get good reviews. The oem navi isn't the best one that a car can have, but it kinda wanted to keep it all stock and have oem parts even though it's overpriced. (which is dumb i know.)

I'll take a look at the garmin and others to see if function over form is just the best way for me. thanks
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Use your phones navi and save a ton of money. My wife wanted navi so i got her a android phone and problem solved. Now i don't have to spend money on updating or worry about trading it in for the rebate to get the latest maps. With the technology in phones why waste your money?

as for music most smartphones these days have 16gb of storage for just that. if you do have a smartphone like android get the double twist app and now you have itunes.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

I want to be very honest, i just picked up a new 11 gsr and when i went to dealer i went with the plan of getting base model no navi and no sound system and when the dealer said we have one with navi and sound in stock i got suckered in and got that one. Worth every penny especually the sound system the navi dont care that much but it comes handy and defenitly looks 10 times better then that ugly radio that the base model comes with. So sometimes i know it hurts to pay that extra money but on the down run it will all ways be worth it, but as long as you got a evo your fine even with out them
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:16 PM

Looks would be the only plus in getting the OEM nav.

Side note: On my friend's brand new G37, you can't enter routes or tweak the route while the car is in motion. What's worse, the bluetooth takes so many steps to to make a call: 1) press phone button on the steering wheel; 2) Speak out "Call"; 3) Speak out "hand-held phonebook"; 4) Pick out from the screen and Speak out "Name"; 5) Pick out from the list and Speak out "Mobile", "Home", "work".

Simply retarded. Is the EVO bluetooth equally bad?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 08:30 PM

This is a possible alternative. Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT

Do this, make a write up, and tell me how it goes. Please. with some large fries

Last edited by GrenEggz; Apr 7, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 08:47 PM

I got the OEM Navi in my GSR and I love it! Although there are a few things I don't like about it. Sometimes the Navi tells me to take some bull$h!t route when I could've taken a shorter more simpler one. I love the fact that I can download all my CD's into the HDD which keeps my car much cleaner without all those CD"s in my car. The only gripe I have with the HDD is that I can create different playlists but I can't seem to transfer any songs to those specific playlist. What make's it worse is that the instruction manual that it came with is all in French (WTF ). I went to the dealer to try to get one in English and they said that they can't get one
Old Apr 7, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

for me the stock nav is awesome. Integrates well into the car and is a very cool nav system. I would say go with the stock.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

the m.m.c.s. much much more than just a nav unit.

it is easy to install also.

do some on-line research about the system and i think you will want it.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Wrex1977
Use your phones navi and save a ton of money. My wife wanted navi so i got her a android phone and problem solved. Now i don't have to spend money on updating or worry about trading it in for the rebate to get the latest maps. With the technology in phones why waste your money?

as for music most smartphones these days have 16gb of storage for just that. if you do have a smartphone like android get the double twist app and now you have itunes.
thats kinda what the wife said and why we didn't get it at first. but like others have stated, the stock dash looks kinda weak and in 2011, what cars DONT come stock with navigation (in this price range) right? I know it will most likely be 80% for looks because I can do everything from the steering wheel and the info button, aside from store music and use navi. $2300 for the navi installed vs. $200-$300 garmin. I know that crazy right? I'll do more research though and i am just currently using navigon for iphone that connects to bluetooth in my car so i hear directions...i just dont see it on a 7inch screen.

Originally Posted by tonyk
Looks would be the only plus in getting the OEM nav.

Side note: On my friend's brand new G37, you can't enter routes or tweak the route while the car is in motion. What's worse, the bluetooth takes so many steps to to make a call: 1) press phone button on the steering wheel; 2) Speak out "Call"; 3) Speak out "hand-held phonebook"; 4) Pick out from the screen and Speak out "Name"; 5) Pick out from the list and Speak out "Mobile", "Home", "work".

Simply retarded. Is the EVO bluetooth equally bad?
i can only speak for my evo that came with the bluetooth w/o the navi screen. but its easy to me. the only hard part is entering the name and number in the data base of the car. but once its on there...all i do is (1) press the call button (2) say " CALL (NAME) MOBILE" and then it dials. simple as that. if your entry has more than one number, the system will ask you which one. you say mobile or home, etc. Hope that answers your question. oh btw, bluetooth works flawlessly with my iphone 3gs. music and calls all connect and sound great. fuse system +1

Originally Posted by GrenEggz
This is a possible alternative. Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT

Do this, make a write up, and tell me how it goes. Please. with some large fries
thanks, i think i looked at this at cnet.com and the reviews were pretty good. 4 out of 5. i'm just worried if the system will work well with the mitsubishi fuse system and play well with the bluetooth, info, etc. that the stock mitsu navi does. but thanks, i'll look more into it again..

Thanks all for the responses, I'll check around for prices since i didn't want to install myself. I know its really easy and only need a screw driver, but i don't want to mess anything up. so I'll check with dealers in my area...and go from there. but will also check alternatives like the pioneer, thanks guys...will let you know what I go with...
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:28 AM

Im trying to get a X soon and this info is great.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 07:43 AM

still doing some research and I found that there is a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT that I might get instead of the stock mitsu navi (MMCS) but i have to research more on compatibility issues with 11' evo x and if or how the wiring harness would work with stock steering controls and stock mic. also how i would go about installing a rear view camera since i will have to get the stock radio changed to some navi of some sort....

still haven't rulled out the MMCS since i know the integration would be seamless with no issues....its just 2nd on my list now.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by reddragun3
still doing some research and I found that there is a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT that I might get instead of the stock mitsu navi (MMCS) but i have to research more on compatibility issues with 11' evo x and if or how the wiring harness would work with stock steering controls and stock mic. also how i would go about installing a rear view camera since i will have to get the stock radio changed to some navi of some sort....
The Z130 should be pretty much plug-and-play. I had a Z110 in my car, and had ful control of the steering wheel controls, including the hands-free buttons. (To get that you need the PAC-SWI PS, not the Metra interface.) My only real complaint about the Z110 was the routing software- plug in Starbucks and it might give you one that's closest, but in the exact opposite direction of where you're routed...

I don't think that anyone has gotten it to work with the stock mic, but you can run the supplied one up to the same spot. You will need to unplug the factor bluetooth module as well.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

For the cost of adding the OEM Nav to your X you can purchase an infinitely better aftermarket unit and still have some cash left over in your pocket.

I'm not saying the OEM Nav is bad by any means. I had it in my 08 GTS and being on the road doing sales everyday I can say it's a solid unit that never got me lost. Plus it's not only a Nav/CD/Radio unit it also allows you change certain setting on your car.

That being said an aftermarket unit still has many more features and customizing potential.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation or aftermarket...best way to go about it.