Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Remote engine start?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remote engine start?

Hey I'm knida new here so I was seeing if anyone can help me out here. Well the other day I was going threw my MMCS and I found something called "Horn answerback sounds at remote engine start". Well the first thing I did was go to my owners manual to check it was there but it wasn't. Now here's my question does my car have a remote start? Or is that a option you have to buy from the dealer? I hope anyone can help me out here. Thanks

Here's how I got to that
Set> equipment> other.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it would be a dealer option. but only on sst transmissions. manual trans cant be done legaly due to they have to disable the nuetral safety switch for it to work wich most will not do for liability reasons.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone have it? I would like to know if it's worth it or not before I even think about getting it.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 05:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
it would be a dealer option. but only on sst transmissions. manual trans cant be done legaly due to they have to disable the nuetral safety switch for it to work wich most will not do for liability reasons.
This is false. DEI (Directed Electronics, the company that makes Viper alarms) has a module to allow remote start on manual trans. Also, afaik, it's not illegal even without the module. The thing is that no shop is going to want that liability.

Originally Posted by Steven_Trujillo
Does anyone have it? I would like to know if it's worth it or not before I even think about getting it.
I've never used Mitsus OEM remote start, but I've had a few cars with aftermarket remote start and it's worth every penny. In Arizona, remote start is worth it's weight in GOLD!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 06:50 PM

I believe it IS Illegal to sell a manual car with a remote start.

EDIT: with the neutral safety switch removed.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 07:40 AM

some stores wont do it on a manual car..
Old Aug 9, 2011, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steven_Trujillo
Yes I have the remote start on my MR. Since I live in Texas its worth 5 times what I paid. It was 299 installed plus tax. Works with unlimited range as long as there is cell service in the area. Its 3 bucks a month fo the ongoing service.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:50 PM

Ok, so I'm glad to know you can get remote start for the MRs, but I have to ask, you guys live where it's warm! Do you let the car run with the A/C on? Not that that's a bad thing, my black car gets pretty hot in the sun.

But it gets crazy cold here, and in the winter, yes, they are worth every penny.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Yes I have the remote start on my MR. Since I live in Texas its worth 5 times what I paid. It was 299 installed plus tax. Works with unlimited range as long as there is cell service in the area. Its 3 bucks a month fo the ongoing service.
is the remote start from mitsu for the evo and can it be set from nav i also wanted a factory rs
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:18 AM
a2b

do you mean there is a factory remote start module? Anyone have a part number?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by a2b
do you mean there is a factory remote start module? Anyone have a part number?
yes sir factory remote start is what he was looking for.also in the nav time limits runs can be changed and i think you can also use it like a turbo timer after you shut down car but i am not sure ....and you can get an after market remote start for manual cars viper makes one it hooks up to manual but its a pita you must do three things or it wont start ...the car cant be in gear and e break needs to be pulled that goes with out saying but there is a button you must hit when leaving car if you want to remote start to work next time you go to use it
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Most states it is not illegal, but shops don't want to assume liability for it. There are safe ways to install it, using a relay for the clutch and neutral safety switches for the gears. Most of the time you can just hit the cruise control module for the neutral safety and on older evo's some clever work had to be done.

Again, I wouldn't put one in someone else's car because I don't want to be responsible for the potential lawsuit for running a little kid over.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:19 PM

The viper route is legal on a manual transmission but you have to go through a chore every time you want to "enable" the car for remote starting when you turn it off. Believe it was something like holding down the brake, putting it in neutral (car needs to have a neutral switch circuit) and pulling e-brake up all at the same time.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mbspeed
yes sir factory remote start is what he was looking for.also in the nav time limits runs can be changed and i think you can also use it like a turbo timer after you shut down car but i am not sure ....and you can get an after market remote start for manual cars viper makes one it hooks up to manual but its a pita you must do three things or it wont start ...the car cant be in gear and e break needs to be pulled that goes with out saying but there is a button you must hit when leaving car if you want to remote start to work next time you go to use it
The factory remote start is expensive like 1K installed. I guess that depends on the dealership. The Clifford system I have is not a PITA as you stated. I don't press buttons in advance or even do a Kabuki dance in the rain. I park the car shut it off like normal and that's it. I works from my cell phone from a greater range and sends confirmation or whatever I asked of it.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:12 PM

Has anyone looked into the Viper Smart Start? Use from almost any smart phone. You can start the car, open trunk, unlock, lock all from your phone without the need for an extra thing to carry around. May be an option in the future.

Quick Reply: Remote engine start?