Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Did I just screw myself?...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did I just screw myself?...

I think I may have made a bad move today, or maybe when I installed an OEM MMCS in my non navi '11 X.

Originally, the car had an in dash changer/tuner with SSS package. It came with Bluetooth and FUSE from factory. I got tired of the basic radio, so I bought a used MMCS and a brand new install kit from a local dealership.

I followed the write-up about how to install it (very well written btw) and everything went smooth. The only thing I didn't do was disconnect the negative terminal from the battery before installing. After everything was in and working, I tried syncing my phone via bluetooth (which was already in the car) and had no luck . The volume controls on the steering wheel worked fine, but the voice command, send, and end buttons on the steering wheel did nothing.

I figured it just needed to be configured at the dealership, so I took it to the dealership that I bought the car from and asked if they could hook up the MUT III scantool and get my bluetooth going. They said they'd have to charge me the usual diagnostic fee of $75 which i didn't really care about cause I just wanted my bluetooth working again. After an hour of waiting at the dealership, they tell me that my bluetooth module is fried and I need a new one .

I worked out a deal with them so it would go through the warranty, but I had to eat that $75 fee. So now I'm waiting for the new module to come, no bluetooth, and down $75. My question is, could that module be fried just from not disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery when I did the install? Or should I put my stock radio back in and see if my bluetooth is working with that?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
your problem is when you bough an MMCS that is not compatible with the FUSE system.

on the toggle on the front of the MMCS it must be stamped N-04. i am willing to bet money that your MMCS is N-01, N-02, or N-03.

do not waste anymore money thinking your bluetooth is friend, its not. its your MMCS, its too old.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

You're right. I just checked it. It's N-01. What if I got a Bluetooth module from an older evo and swapped it with mine? Say like a 2010. Would the mobile phone work? I really don't use the USB connection so I wouldn't miss that feature too much.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

i have an N-03 nav and installed the OEM bluetooth afterwards and everything worked. i installed it myself, installed the radio controls, and handsfreee system. all plug and play.

if i were you i would, install the old radio back and see if that works just to confirm and reinstall the old nav again and go that route you just said. also make sure there is a difference in bluetooth part numbers from the 2008 - 2010 and the 2011.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I will try this. Thank you!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Oh and I almost forgot to mention. After going to the dealership and being told the module was fried, I went home and took the module out and checked it (after taking off negative terminal) then put it back in. I noticed that the USB wire in the glove compartment plugs directly into the Bluetooth module. Then from there it goes to the back of the navi. I plugged my iPhone into the USB and it had power. If the module was cooked, I probably wouldn't get power to the iPhone right?

Last edited by BeyondLimitsEvo; Oct 28, 2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Correction
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL. Dealership just scammed you $75! Hopefully the new module will be from a 2010! It's your FUSE system. I've never heard of disconnecting the battery for just a HU install and nothing else.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:35 AM

You should almost ALWAYS disconnect the battery when doing most/major repairs or upgrades to ANY car especially with electrical systems.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by beetle_orange
on the toggle on the front of the MMCS it must be stamped N-04...
I am interested in finding mine out too... could someone show pic of the particular location that beetle suggested?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

there is only one toggle on the face of the nav. its on the bottom right hand corner and right below is where the stamp is.

how long have you had your nav? if its been a year or two i can almost guarantee its not an N-04
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by beetle_orange
there is only one toggle on the face of the nav. its on the bottom right hand corner and right below is where the stamp is.

how long have you had your nav? if its been a year or two i can almost guarantee its not an N-04
Thx man... never noticed a version number was there. Mine is N-03.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

you are welcome, same version as mine. sadly we didnt get N-04 so close.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

What cars have the N-04 model navi?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

the newer ones i suppose.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Does it mean N-04 are F.U.S.E. equipped?

Quick Reply: Did I just screw myself?...