Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Depo oem style headlights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelkek
Hey there Micky! Long time no see..

After a long harsh fighting period I persuaded my local Depo dealer (which is the only one within Turkey) to ask for stock on the headlights which I want and waiting for the price and availability return. If they don't mess up the price I'll eventually order the HL's

They shouldn't be too much, you guys have a bigger market, so it should be ok price.

Meanwhile, do we have a chance to see the instructions about this electric motor of leveling which you mentioned before?

The instructions are very minimal, all it shows is the customers headlight from DEPO, then some basic pics of how it should look once finished installed, it's not very hard to assemble anyway.

For the stock evo HL's, I saw a little 3 pin (Blue coloured) socket under the big main connection socket. I guess that's the socket which the leveling socket connects. And I have this socket already hanging around at the back of my stock headlights.

The socket you mentioned is not necessarily the leveling plug, some countries use this for different features, for stock lancers with projectors, the smaller plug is used for the leveling, in newer models with projectors, I( i think 2011 onwards), they have an auto level feature, so no leveling switch is required.

If the pins located on your main harness (bigger plug) are full (mine are full both top and bottom), then the leveling wires are located on the bottom half, as in my picture, yellow, black and red wires. Do you have these?

For some reason on 2011+ models so far that I have seen, those 3 wires (as mentioned above) are not present, but the wiring harness for the leveling switch in the dash next to the ASC switch is present! I'm not sure then how the leveling would work, maybe someone else can shed light on this?

Thanks for your great support!
A picture of the DEPO headlight from the back, with added motors, notice the 3 pins on the main plug (on the bottom half), these are for leveling, that's how these are wired up from factory from DEPO, as mentioned a while ago, the plug that goes into the motor is factory as well from DEPO. Ignore the small connector, that was just taken from original headlight and connected to the DEPO H/L, so the smaller harness from car is kept neat and not dangling around as per original headlight.

Last edited by MickyOz; Oct 29, 2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added more pics.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by MickyOz
A picture of the DEPO headlight from the back, with added motors, notice the 3 pins on the main plug (on the bottom half), these are for leveling, that's how these are wired up from factory from DEPO, as mentioned a while ago, the plug that goes into the motor is factory as well from DEPO. Ignore the small connector, that was just taken from original headlight and connected to the DEPO H/L, so the smaller harness from car is kept neat and not dangling around as per original headlight.

Hey there Micky Mate

Local dealer pumped the price 425$ish... It's not the best price but saves me from all that duty and custom clearance stuff so I accepted the deal.. They said it will take about 45 to 55 days to reach me.. I've paid half of the price, so I have nothing to do but to wait.. Hope this story ends smoothly and I don't feel to retrofit the projector lenses and spend some extra 100$.. We will see..

As I inspected from the pictures I've searched over the net, this manuel leveling motor is uninstallable without needing to tear apart the internals of the stock factory hl's which is a pro. As I guess in the model of Depo which we talk about, there is a space and an installation hole for this motor to attach which American versions doesn't right? we will sipmly deattach the motor from the factory hl's by turning the motor counter clock wise and attach to the depos and viola!

And I also inspected the main plug harness, it's full of cables as you mentioned in the other picture. Meaning I don't need any external cables or wiring harness which is a pro too.

I think we figured out this thing with your support and with my researcher soul which is an obsessive habbit of mine

I'l try to post some detailed pictures of the procedure while I attach things to gether.

I love to get involved with these kinda stuff, makes me feel alive
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:10 PM

Hey there Micky Mate

Local dealer pumped the price 425$ish... It's not the best price but saves me from all that duty and custom clearance stuff so I accepted the deal.. They said it will take about 45 to 55 days to reach me.. I've paid half of the price, so I have nothing to do but to wait.. Hope this story ends smoothly and I don't feel to retrofit the projector lenses and spend some extra 100$.. We will see..

As I inspected from the pictures I've searched over the net, this manuel leveling motor is uninstallable without needing to tear apart the internals of the stock factory hl's which is a pro. As I guess in the model of Depo which we talk about, there is a space and an installation hole for this motor to attach which American versions doesn't right? we will sipmly deattach the motor from the factory hl's by turning the motor counter clock wise and attach to the depos and viola!

And I also inspected the main plug harness, it's full of cables as you mentioned in the other picture. Meaning I don't need any external cables or wiring harness which is a pro too.

I think we figured out this thing with your support and with my researcher soul which is an obsessive habbit of mine

I'l try to post some detailed pictures of the procedure while I attach things to gether.

I love to get involved with these kinda stuff, makes me feel alive
Hi Kelkek,

To be honest, $425 is not bad actually (Don't compare to USA, suppliers over there get products quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else around the world, their (lancer headlight) are different also anyway. The projectors are fine in these headlights (as mentioned before), no need for retro-fitting any others. 45 to 55 days??? Is it going via donkey post?

Yes exactly, the American DEPO versions do not have the same mould, therefore technically can not be fitted with a motor, technically I say because you can actually put motors in them, but with some serious modding. I've seen it before.

The version we have from DEPO is simple, the mould is made to replace the stock holder with an electric leveling motor.

Hopefully Australia seller will start offering them soon.

If you get stuck and need motors, pm and I will help you out.

Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:43 AM

Hi Kelkek,

To be honest, $425 is not bad actually (Don't compare to USA, suppliers over there get products quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else around the world, their (lancer headlight) are different also anyway. The projectors are fine in these headlights (as mentioned before), no need for retro-fitting any others. 45 to 55 days??? Is it going via donkey post?

Yes exactly, the American DEPO versions do not have the same mould, therefore technically can not be fitted with a motor, technically I say because you can actually put motors in them, but with some serious modding. I've seen it before.

The version we have from DEPO is simple, the mould is made to replace the stock holder with an electric leveling motor.

Hopefully Australia seller will start offering them soon.

If you get stuck and need motors, pm and I will help you out.

I was kinda expecting 350-370$ish. Anyway, I've found the hl's I desire, that's important and worth the money.. There was an option giving 1000$ for a single oem projector hl at the dealer

Well I'm excited about this sutff, I want it immidiately I'll pay no extra shipping cost as this goody will come to me within the importation container since the dealer orders for stock everyweek. It will arive by marine transportation. Kinda bundle stayl So this is why it takes ages to arrive me.

Should be great if you could share this Australian sellers internet site (if availible), I love hanging around between online shops

REGARDS!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Depo are making RHD versions with levelling motors???
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by iEvoVII
both rhd and lhd versions with motor attachable are available..

the product codes can be found at the 19th page I guess

edit or maybe 18th

edit # absolutely 18th

edit ## these are the freakin codes
214-1191PXLDEM2 ---> LHD
214-1191PXRDEM2 ---> RHD

Last edited by Kelkek; Oct 31, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:02 PM

Hi Steven,

They don't have leveling motors included, they will have to be sourced elsewhere.

I have the OEM HID replacement model from DEPO also, as a testing unit, everything works fine, I rewired it for leveling also, so the only thing not working is the AFS, so I am not sure if this needs to be programmed at the ECU, or if extra equipment is needed, I am not really sure on this, I am guessing it wouldn't work?

The OEM HID replacements, also come with an igniter, it's not OEM, but I guess it does the job. Obviously Ballast, D2S bulbs, and motors would be needed, which can be used from the original H/L's anyway.

Have you worked on any new Lancers at all Steven, what I am trying to find out at the moment is info on the main headlight plug. Pins 9,10, and 11 are for leveling, but I have noticed recently that these may have been omitted from 2011+ lancers? The smaller connectors are not for leveling, only the factory HID lancers use the smaller plug for leveling, which I am sure you know.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No I have not worked with the new lancers...

I did modify a set of JDM MR HLs (pre 2012 model) for a 2008 - 2010 ADM lancer... Unsure on the year model of the car..

I'm not very familiar with lancer models but I see you have an 08 lancer DE. I assume this model does not come with the factory HID hls seeing as you're having issues getting the AFS to work.. Not sure if you need extra sensors that detect steering wheel position. I do know that the MR ecu does detect that that the AFS is not working by displaying "AFS" on the dash.
I modified the factory projector HLs on a ADM MR where by I disconnected the AFS system because I installed a fake projector into the AFS housing. The AFS plug was still left inside the HL, it just wasn't connected to a bulb. This caused the word "AFS" to appear on the dash. The owners friend did some wiring magic and used a resistor. No more "AFS" warning on the dash

As for the levelling wires, I currently have possession of the following HLs:
* JDM MR HLs (pre 2012 model)
* ADM MR HLs (2012 model... Different internally to the earlier year models)

If you need any confirmation with the wiring on the ^^ HLs let me know..
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:40 PM

No I have not worked with the new lancers...

I did modify a set of JDM MR HLs (pre 2012 model) for a 2008 - 2010 ADM lancer... Unsure on the year model of the car..

I'm not very familiar with lancer models but I see you have an 08 lancer DE. I assume this model does not come with the factory HID hls seeing as you're having issues getting the AFS to work.. Not sure if you need extra sensors that detect steering wheel position. I do know that the MR ecu does detect that that the AFS is not working by displaying "AFS" on the dash.
I modified the factory projector HLs on a ADM MR where by I disconnected the AFS system because I installed a fake projector into the AFS housing. The AFS plug was still left inside the HL, it just wasn't connected to a bulb. This caused the word "AFS" to appear on the dash. The owners friend did some wiring magic and used a resistor. No more "AFS" warning on the dash

As for the levelling wires, I currently have possession of the following HLs:
* JDM MR HLs (pre 2012 model)
* ADM MR HLs (2012 model... Different internally to the earlier year models)

If you need any confirmation with the wiring on the ^^ HLs let me know..
I called it a DE model back in the day when I joined here (not to confuse our USA members), as mine was one of the first lancers to come in Oz, it is an ES. (2007 September build)

It's not a big deal, I'm just trying to see if it would work or not, to make it close to as original to factory HID HL. I do know that the wiring is there though for AFS.

If you know what is internally different to the ADM MR HLs to the previous version that would be good. If anything I need to get some info on any 2011+ models , ES, VR, VRX, SX etc and get a look at the harness wiring to the headlight, and possibly under the dash.

Thanks for your info.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:23 PM

should i use normal lenght hid h7 bulbs or should i use shorter hid bulbs like h7c or mormito 3fives ?? any clues?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:42 PM

should i use normal lenght hid h7 bulbs or should i use shorter hid bulbs like h7c or mormito 3fives ?? any clues?
Hi Kelkek, at the moment I am using a D2S bulb (with OEM ballasts, igniter etc) with a special custom adaptor to fit them into these DEPO headlights.

Before using the D2S, I was using a H7 HID bulb as a test, not a H7C (as these are more suited for a reflector type headlight)

Just make sure they are 35W ballasts (That's how the OEM are, and it's safer)

You will need to make sure you use the adaptor that comes with the DEPO headlight, it's technically for a halogen bulb, but if you cut it with tin snips, you can then wrap it around the HID bulb housing (as it has wires from it) to then fit into the reflector housing of the headlight.

The reflector used with this headlight in conjunction with the H7 bulb, is NOT your standard H7 fitting, it does not use a standard tension wire to secure the bulb, it is a push and turn fitting, again you can mod the adaptor supplied with the headlight to fit your H7 HID bulb. The only HID bulb I know that comes with the inbuilt push and turn bracket is from MTEC.

Sometimes the length of the bulb can certainly affect the charachteristcs of the light output, but since I have used a standard H7 HID bulb, and how a D2S, which also was the same length, and exact same position as the arc chamber as the standard H7 HID bulb first used... I can say the difference is fantastic compared to the reflector style headlight.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:50 AM

Well Helloo

What do you suggest Mikey? Using h7 hid bulbs or d2s hid bulbs in a H7 Halogen Projector Housing (Depos)? What is the difference? What about focus? Do we need to do any adjustments for d2s? Like positioning the d2s bulb a bit far ?

And for d2s we will need 2 parts I guess for aftermarket ballasts?
1- h7-d2s bulb adapter? In the link below?
http://hidconcept.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=46
2- aftermarket ballast to d2s bulb connector adapter ?
http://tetrativ.com.tr/urunlerimiz/i...9-4003001.html

do we need an igniter? I'm not sure what is igniter for and is it built on the ballast or something?

omg, this thing is going complicated

Hi Kelkek, at the moment I am using a D2S bulb (with OEM ballasts, igniter etc) with a special custom adaptor to fit them into these DEPO headlights.

Before using the D2S, I was using a H7 HID bulb as a test, not a H7C (as these are more suited for a reflector type headlight)

Just make sure they are 35W ballasts (That's how the OEM are, and it's safer)

You will need to make sure you use the adaptor that comes with the DEPO headlight, it's technically for a halogen bulb, but if you cut it with tin snips, you can then wrap it around the HID bulb housing (as it has wires from it) to then fit into the reflector housing of the headlight.

The reflector used with this headlight in conjunction with the H7 bulb, is NOT your standard H7 fitting, it does not use a standard tension wire to secure the bulb, it is a push and turn fitting, again you can mod the adaptor supplied with the headlight to fit your H7 HID bulb. The only HID bulb I know that comes with the inbuilt push and turn bracket is from MTEC.

Sometimes the length of the bulb can certainly affect the charachteristcs of the light output, but since I have used a standard H7 HID bulb, and how a D2S, which also was the same length, and exact same position as the arc chamber as the standard H7 HID bulb first used... I can say the difference is fantastic compared to the reflector style headlight.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:34 PM

Well Helloo

What do you suggest Mikey? Using h7 hid bulbs or d2s hid bulbs in a H7 Halogen Projector Housing (Depos)? What is the difference? What about focus? Do we need to do any adjustments for d2s? Like positioning the d2s bulb a bit far ?

And for d2s we will need 2 parts I guess for aftermarket ballasts?
1- h7-d2s bulb adapter? In the link below?
http://hidconcept.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=46
2- aftermarket ballast to d2s bulb connector adapter ?
http://tetrativ.com.tr/urunlerimiz/i...9-4003001.html

do we need an igniter? I'm not sure what is igniter for and is it built on the ballast or something?

omg, this thing is going complicated
Hello Mr Kelkek,

Did you read what I said?

That adaptor link you gave is not the right adaptor, there is no adaptor in the world for it, trust me I checked all over the world, in the end we had to make a custom adaptor which was CNC'd.

The Depo headlight for the lancers for our LHD and RHD use a special push and turn... this is the housing of the lancer headlight.

As you can see there is no tension bracket, so you can not use the adaptor you mentioned. Again if you decide to go D2S, pm me and I will help you out with the gear needed.

H7 HID is fine, just make sure it's a good brand that has a correct design, there is some shocking HID yumcha sets out there, which aren't UV cut, or don't use quartz in their capsules (so if people are complaining their lenses are getting yellow, check with your HID kits before you start blaming the aftermarket manufacturer)

Igniter is on the second link you gave, again I would be wary in using some cheap thing that connects to a D2S bulbs, I've seen these things fail and explode, melt etc. It's best to use OEM, again pm me, if you want I can assist in some OEM gear.

Last edited by MickyOz; Nov 9, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:21 AM

You'r my bible

Well as my 9006 hid kit is Philips, and it has some different connections than AMP connections, I'll again (have to) use Philips bulbs. I don't want to cut wires since there is 24k Volt is hanging around in the wires

Well I guess I'll skip the D2s and stick with h7 directly. As I see there is no significant gain with D2s bulbs, isn't it? And there are a lot of work to do to use D2s bulbs...

30 days to happiness, I hope goodies to arrive smoothly.

Hello Mr Kelkek,

Did you read what I said?

That adaptor link you gave is not the right adaptor, there is no adaptor in the world for it, trust me I checked all over the world, in the end we had to make a custom adaptor which was CNC'd.

The Depo headlight for the lancers for our LHD and RHD use a special push and turn... this is the housing of the lancer headlight.

As you can see there is no tension bracket, so you can not use the adaptor you mentioned. Again if you decide to go D2S, pm me and I will help you out with the gear needed.

H7 HID is fine, just make sure it's a good brand that has a correct design, there is some shocking HID yumcha sets out there, which aren't UV cut, or don't use quartz in their capsules (so if people are complaining their lenses are getting yellow, check with your HID kits before you start blaming the aftermarket manufacturer)

Igniter is on the second link you gave, again I would be wary in using some cheap thing that connects to a D2S bulbs, I've seen these things fail and explode, melt etc. It's best to use OEM, again pm me, if you want I can assist in some OEM gear.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok. I read all 21 pages of the forum and still have few question. If someone can answer them I will appriciate.

1 I just go the headlights lights today. I am about to call DDM Tuning. Which kit exactly I have to order? Do I need HID harnes, Error eliminators, bulbs 9006 or H7.
2. Do I need the JRox kit or I can just pull the DTRL relay?
3. Can I install the headlights today since my bumper is off anyway. Use the headlights with stock bulbs and then install the HID kit later without taking the bumper off again? Or will I have to take bumper off again to install the HID kit?

Thank you

Quick Reply: Depo oem style headlights