Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Fast Key Door Button Intermittant

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Fast Key Door Button Intermittant

Just curious what you feel I should look into first. I've used the search and all of them tend to either be remotes not working, or not reading the remote, etc. Mines a tad bit different.

Problem: Started about a month ago, randomly the unlock button on the door won't work. I'll stand there like a jackass pressing the button a couple more times (sometimes it'll just work after a couple of presses), other times I'll have to whip[ out the keys and press the button on the actual keys and that works every time. I never have a problem unlocking with the keys itself, nor detection problems when starting the car. Just the button now and then decides to say pass when I press it. The percentage that it happens is like 20%, I mean it's pretty low but it's annoying when it does happen.

1.) I've tried taking the keys out of my pocket literally holding them next to the door handle and pressing the button, and doesn't work at the times when it refuses to work for me.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:03 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Are you talking about the button on the door handle on the outside? I have a 08 and the button is only used to lock the car. To unlock I just have to touch the door handle (driver or passenger front). Not sure if it's different for other years.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mentioned that you pulled your keys out of your pocket and it was still intermittent? I've noticed that if the key is near/touching my cellphone it won't work sometimes due to interference.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by .M.
Are you talking about the button on the door handle on the outside? I have a 08 and the button is only used to lock the car. To unlock I just have to touch the door handle (driver or passenger front). Not sure if it's different for other years.
The just touch the door handle was the early X's to my knowledge. From like the 2011's I want to say? Don't quote me on that though, you gotta press the button to unlock/lock the door.

Originally Posted by Fencer
You mentioned that you pulled your keys out of your pocket and it was still intermittent? I've noticed that if the key is near/touching my cellphone it won't work sometimes due to interference.
Yeah even with my phone in my pocket and holding the key next to the handle literally touching it, it won't work during those times, though cell phone interference I'm not sure how strong since either way I was standing right next to the door. I'll try placing my phone a couple of feet away from the car and myself, and try again next time it occurs.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 05:05 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Same here. If the key is next to, underneath, on top, or in the same pocket as my phone... it won't register.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

it was just the phone lol. I realized that when I mentioned that I take out my keys out of my pocket and it sill doesn't work.. Well my phone was in my jacket pocket which is pretty close to level with the handle. Moved it to my pants pocket, everything works as normal again. Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gh3ttoRoM3o
it was just the phone lol. I realized that when I mentioned that I take out my keys out of my pocket and it sill doesn't work.. Well my phone was in my jacket pocket which is pretty close to level with the handle. Moved it to my pants pocket, everything works as normal again. Thanks.
I have the same issue..the button locks the car but doesn't unlock it. Regardless of if I have my phone on me or not, same issue. Any ideas?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Spotty for me too.

Sometimes if I'm in the driver seat, no phone in my pocket and my key in the left pant pocket, car will say no key detected. Have to put it on my lap for it to register.

Also had issues unlocking the door. Will have to see if the phone location is a factor.

Maybe the battery in the key is dying. What's the life on these things? I bought the car in October 2016, key battery is probably 3 or 4 years old now.