Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Fog lights activated with automatic headlights, possible?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog lights activated with automatic headlights, possible?

I asked this over on evoxforums, but the guys there didn't think it was possible to activate the fog lights with the automatic headlights.

I understand that the headlights activate automatically.

I understand that the fog lights have to be turned ON each time I start the car and want them on.

I understand there is a mod that allows me to run the fog lights at all times when the car is on.

I do not want the fog lights to be on all the time that the car is on. (because the car is also on during the day)

I have searched.

I am looking for a way to energize the fog lights automatically when the automatic headlights come on.

In the simple version, I could just run the fog light wires into the headlight wires so they are energized together. I do not want to do this, though.

I would like for the automatic headlights to activate the fog light circuit, keep the fog lights on while the headlights are on, and shut the fog lights off when the headlights go off.

I realize I can simply do this with the switch each time I start the car at night. However, this is the first car I have ever owned (I am 41 years old) that I was unable to flip a switch ONCE to ON or OFF to make the fogs come on with the headlights every time.

I have no real reason for doing this except I just like the way it looks.

My fogs are not super bright blinding lights, so this will not endanger me or other drivers.

Since the car is built of many activation circuits, I just can't believe this is a thing that can't happen.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Kev
Old Sep 19, 2016, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Use a relay triggered by one headlight and then direct wire the fogs through the relay to the battery. Using proper fuses, of course.

If you need a wiring diagram - le t me know and I will Crayola one for you.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Use a relay triggered by one headlight and then direct wire the fogs through the relay to the battery. Using proper fuses, of course.

If you need a wiring diagram - le t me know and I will Crayola one for you.
If the crayola (I feel your sarcasm here ) drawing includes the locations of the wires in question and the amperage of the proper fuses, then I accept your drawing offer. This is, in fact, the information I am looking for.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Sure!
I just meant it won't be fancy...

I will get on it.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

You could get a relay kit/wire such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Support-trade...ords=relay+kit

You should also need a 20 amp fuse and holder (Check the owners manual for the correct amperage)

See for more detail:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...og-lights.html

Note - you are using the headlight for the "source signal" and not the parking light. All else is pretty much the same.
Attached Thumbnails Fog lights activated with automatic headlights, possible?-diagram.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Veronica:
2015_MR (Sep 20, 2016), Kevvsworld (Sep 20, 2016)
Old Sep 20, 2016, 05:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That looks like more than crayola....lol. I was really expecting to see a piece of paper with crayons laying to the side.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 09:29 PM

I finally figured it out!! Omg this is the biggest annoyance lol I know it's a cosmetic thing but it makes the world of difference to me. I have LEDs so they're not emitting much.

So I followed what Veronica said and got the 5 PIN RELAY, the link takes you to Amazon with the option for a 4 pin or a 5 pin. You need the 5 PIN!!!! The diagram she drew is correct EXCEPT for the connection to the fog light positive wire. That wire has to go to the NO (Normally Open) port not the NC (Normally closed).

See the picture below:

I have Vlands, with the OEM HIDs. I connected the blue wire from the Vlands, which is the power source of the light bulb. Then I connected to ground, to the red terminal with a 20A fuse, and used the LIGHT GREEN power source for the fogs. NOW IT WORKS!

Thanks Veronica! Hope this helps.